Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

39A magazine tube removal

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Zack49 
#1 · (Edited)
to do a thorough cleaning of the metal on my 39A i'm removing the front sight hood, rear sight, & the magazine tube. i searched this forum & checked on you tube but did not find anything. the tube appears to just be a press fit. any hints on how to proceed? i don't want to booger anything.
B.T.W., the big 45 pads arrived & i did a quick test on the receiver & it cleaned up to a near new finish. great pads. many thanks for that tip!!!

#2 · (Edited)
The outer magazine tube should have a tiny cross pin out on the end that retains that..You just need a tiny punch to drive the retaining pin out..Thete is no press fit of the outer tube that I am aware of..

I cannot remember for sure as it has been awhile since I did a complete teardown..But I think you want to drift the sight to the right side of the receiver to remove it, and opposite for reinstall..I am sure someone will correct me if I am in error..Just work carefully and think it through..You should be fine..

#3 ·
i got caught up with tunnel vision looking at the receiver end i didn't even look at the muzzle end for a pin. duhu-uh. if it had been a snake i'd have been bit. since it's raining & i can't work in my hives this will be a good day to clean up this rifle.

#6 ·
i just finished putting the rifle back together. the front sight hood put up a bit of a fight so i gently pushed a wide screwdriver inside of it to spread it & it went right on.
i have to say that i am truly impressed with the big 45 scrubber & the blue wonder bore cleaner. the rifle really cleaned up nicely. it does not by any means look new but it now looks like a well cared for older rifle. the front sight hood, muzzle, & the knurled cap on the magazine plunger had some mild pitting. i soaked them multiple times with blue wonder & they cleaned up pretty good. i brass brushed & lightly sanded the muzzle. all three got a cold blue treatment & look respectable. i wire brushed & cold blued the butt plate screws as well. i sanded the edges of the butt plate from 320 thru 1200 grit. it's not beat up but the rear stock has enough scuffs that i'll refinish over the winter. i want to thank y'all again for your guidance. i eventually would have figured out how to do everything but it sure is nice not having to. y'all turned me on to 2 great products so i'll return the favor. i'm not a big fan of cold bluing but if you ever find that you just have to i highly recommend Van's cold blue.
https://www.vansblue.com/
later this evening i'll recoat the bluing. when it's all dry in the morning i'll take & post some photos of the finished product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.