Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Golden 39A

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Zack49 
#1 ·
neighbors are splitting up. the wife put the husbands belongings out front & i noticed a rifle leaning against the house. not being the safest or smartest thing to do I grabbed the rifle & called him to let him know I had it. when he picked up his stuff I made him an offer & I'm now the owner of a Original Golden 39A. the stock has some mars on the finish but no actual damage to the wood. the metal has a lot of what I'd call 'almost' rust & some light surface rust. there is some rust & pitting at the muzzle but the crown & bore are clean. using the 100 minus the 1st 2 serial numbers it looks to be a 1978 model. it's marked made in North Haven. it should clean up nicely. speaking of which what is the best way to clean the metal? I have used fine synthetic steel wool & oil followed with a light hit of simichrome polish. the muzzle will require something more aggressive so I'll likely have to cold blue that area. any suggestions on how to proceed??

#4 ·
#5 ·
i'll try those pads. do they hold up well or should i buy several. i found a guy on fleabay that has 3 for 17.00 w/ free shipping. i already have some Renaissance Wax. i use it on guitars sometimes especially when i'm trying to revive an old dull finish. i just had a 1917 Vega mandolin in the shop & that wax worked wonders. like i said in my previous post, with a couple hours of elbow grease i'll have a nice rifle. i bought a 39D new back around 1972 or 3 & i've been kicking myself for selling it ever since i did. then when i decided to buy another recently i was shocked at what they are selling for. there were 2 cops overseeing the loading to make sure no problems broke out between the couple. after i bought the rifle one of the cops called me over & with a grin he told me he should arrest me for stealing.
thanks for the tips y'all. i'll post some before & after photos when it's finished.

#6 ·
They hold up great Zack and they don't shed. For just polishing outside metalwork 1 will last you forever. Use a little lube with them of course. Everything goes better with a little lube ;)

However they're also great for skinning lead out of the lands and grooves inside a barrel. For that you have to tear a small piece off and wrap it around a jag on a cleaning rod so eventually you may use one up.

Have fun!

Frank

#8 ·
Bought a Winchester 69A first of the week, pulled the action out of the stock and found a crusty sludge everywhere, Big 45 to the rescue lubed with some Ballistol. Made short work of the mess.

Took a hour and a half or so but would have been a LOT worse without the pads.:bthumb:

#16 ·
to clean this properly I'm going to remove the stock & forearm. is removing the 2 screws on the metal forearm cap all that's needed to remove the forearm? no hidden pins or screws anywhere? how hard is it to remove the magazine tube? i'm assuming the stock screw is under the butt plate. some of these bolts can be a nightmare to get out. there's a clear coating flaking off of the pistol grip button ( not sure of the proper name ) if i scrape off what's remaining what is the best finish for a recoat? the bore cleaner arrived. now i'm waiting for the scrubber pads. i'll not take it apart until everything is in hand to work on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.