Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

scopes & hammer extensions

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Zack49 
#1 · (Edited)
looking at photos & reading these forums it looks like a hammer extension would be a good idea when installing a scope. are there differences in the hammers? i found one that says it fits 1983 models or newer. numrich is out of stock but there are some on ebay. all i found on amazon are made by grove-tec

#3 ·
the extensions stating pre 1983 & post 1983 are the round style like on a model 336 & are made sold by grove tec or uncle mike's. will the marlin made extensions fit all years? the marlin extensions are pricey. i'm in no hurry so i'll keep an eye out. i'll buy an uncle mike's for $14.00 before i'll spend 75.00 for the marlin version.
i just want to cock the dern thing & honestly do not mind the round style. i have a round one on my model 336.

#5 ·
Fwiw.....
I experienced the scope/hammer ext. thing on the H&R single shot break-actions.
It was a mixed review.
I ultimately stopped using 'em, just learned to hook the tip of my thumb up there and cock it. I had just enough room to make it work.
Never have slipped either, but mine are a transfer bar/lifter assembly so no worries.

#7 · (Edited)
Yours is a levergun, right?; mine the H&R sgl shot.
Most of my experience with leverguns is limited to the Win. 94 carbine. We would hunt with one in the chamber and hammer down, hammering back silently when a deer appeared and lowering the hammer if no shot taken, that requires also pulling the trigger.. Iirc the Win has a 'safety notch' in the hammer (wow, it has been a while since I played with one!). Once hammer was lowered we would click back one to that notch. Without a transfer bar assembly one doesnt want to slip!
Ive only had one Marlin levergun, the 444 model, but it was 30+ years ago, a recent model then, and I dont remember much except it was a vicious kicking beast.

#8 ·
yes, lever gun. i thought about buying that .44 model when they 1st came out. luckily i shot a friend's before buying one. 1 shot cured me. i knew a guy back in the 70s who collected large bore european shotguns. that .44 marlin was like shooting a 4 gauge shotgun.

#10 · (Edited)
i did check those out. they're shaped like the OEM extensions. they like grove tec & uncle mike's have pre 83 & post 83 parts. but it says pre 83 pre safety models. according to the 1st 2 numbers subtracted from 100 rule my serial number starts with 22 making it a 1978 model. mine has the 1/2 cocked hammer position. isn't that considered safety? does this model have the narrow hammer?
i just pulled out my model 336. the serial number starts with AD making it a 1968. it has a hammer extension. i'll take both rifles out to the shop tomorrow & see if the extension is interchangeable.

#14 ·
I guess i'm calling ranger point precision in the morning. the williams extension arrived & it is for a narrow hammer. so can i correctly assume the the post 83' hammers are the narrow version? anyone need an extension for a narrow hammer? i just happen to have one available.

#18 ·
Use a Leupold scope which has a smaller eyepiece, and go without the hammer spur. That hammer spur slows down the time it takes for the hammer to strike the firing pin due to the extra weight. This slows down lock time. Even if you have to go a tad taller on rings, try to stay away from the hammer spurs.

#19 ·
Was didling around with gun chores, and after i replaced the missing bullseye on my 70s Mountie, i put a oem extension on it, no problem. Since i had another extension, i tried to put it on my 1956 39a, wouldnt fit, hammer too fat. This one even said JM on it. Whats up with that?

As to hammer extensions in general, i tied on on a Browning BL , and got light strikes with it on , and fine strikes with it off.

But we will see if they mess with the Mountie, no problem on my 63 39 a Golden.

#20 ·
TooMany22s
there is another extension that was made prior to those that you have to have. Very hard to find. I bought one for my 1955 and butchered it up still trying to get it to work with a certain scope. Finally just took it off and the scope off and went with peep sight. Threw the butchered one away. Hard to find and are expensive. The hammers are different from the later models.

#22 ·
there must be eh? precision point told me that pre 83' has the smaller hammer. the extension made by williams was just marked marlin 39 but was too small for my 78' rifle. i already had a JM marked extension for my 68' 336 & it fit my 39A. i left it on the 336. has anyone noticed lighter hammer strikes on an extended 336 hammer?

#23 · (Edited)
The marlins have really stron* hammer springs, so light strike seem pretty unlikely.

When Gizzy said they slow down lock time, hes talking the micro second increas in the time between the trigger pulland the hammer strike caused by the extra weight on the hammer that might allow you to sway off target minuscule more than if you didnt have the extension.

Ps i had one on my Glenfield 36 and had no issues, and have one on my 1894 and hve no issues. The Browning is a much light built gun.

#24 ·
i have a mild case of tourettes syndrone. fortunately i don't run around screaming profanities ( well, when i am profane it's not tourettes related ) but i do have several tics. so when shooting offhand i have to time the shot between twitches. if i try controlling the tics like holding your breath it gets worse. i'm not sure how to describe it. possibly like an itch you can't scratch. anyway, the point being i do not need more lock time no matter how slight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.