Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  pumpsandcooeys 
#1 ·
I just ran across a few old pics of A customers Marlin . I worked on this one years back. I tried to buy it but they wouldn't part with it.

I just thought I would share pics of this ol beauty.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
They are a rather interesting rifle, especially since the Marlin Mdl 18 was the first in a series of Marlin Hammer Slide Action rifles. This particular model was cartridge specific like the Winchester Mdl 1890 rifles, however, an owner could purchase an alternative cartridge carrier for their Mdl 18 to allow it to handle, or rather, convert it to function with either .22SH or .22LR unlike the Winchester Mdl 1890 rifles.

Here is my example:

You'll note that your customers rifle still has/had the non-captured, knurled take-down screw in the tang as does my example, and my example also has the alternative cartridge carrier that Numrich once offered for sale.Sadly, they no longer do.

I suspect that more than a few of these rifles lost the knurled take-down screw since it wasn't captured, but a replacement regular screw from one of the later Marlin Slide Action rifles, such as my Mdl 37, will fit up perfectly and work just fine as a replacement. One tends to see a lot of these Mdl 18 rifles with such a replacement screw. Some say that Marlin changed from the knurled take-down screw to a simple slotted screw during production of this model rifle, and that may be true, but it could also be true that many original owners may have lost the knurled take-down screw during disassembly and cleaning, and simply order a slotted replacement from available parts suppies.

At any rate, the Marlin Mdl 18 is a very handy and historic cool rifle IMHO.

#4 ·
Hi kaynine
Re: The knurled take down screw
My Marlin Model 18 does not have the knurled take down screw, so I thought it was a common replacement as well. But... with further research I found that not all Model 18's were built with take down screws. Early production rifles like mine were not built as take downs, and thus came with a normal slotted head screw. Some time after the model was introduced, the knurled head screw was added and the rifle was advertised as now being a take down model.
So... when you see a Model 18 with a common slotted head screw, check the serial number. If it's an early example, the screw may well be original to the rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.