Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

H&R M12 trouble...

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Calfed 
#1 ·
I recently picked up an H&R M12. It was working fine and like an idiot, I decided to remove the bolt to look down the bore. I put the bolt back in the rifle and now the rifle uncocks itself when ever I work the bolt.

The trigger does not appear to reset. If I manually press the trigger forward, the bolt stays cocked, and the trigger works. But then I have to do that every time I work the bolt.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
I recently picked up an H&R M12. It was working fine and like an idiot, I decided to remove the bolt to look down the bore. I put the bolt back in the rifle and now the rifle uncocks itself when ever I work the bolt.

The trigger does not appear to reset. If I manually press the trigger forward, the bolt stays cocked, and the trigger works. But then I have to do that every time I work the bolt.

Any ideas?
Did you check to see if the bolt release lever is not stuck partially forward? the bolt release pushes the sear down to clear the bolt catch, it maybe just enough forward where it is causing the trigger not to reset. look closely at the stock inletting for the lever it may be causing the binding there.
if this is good, then try flushing the trigger out with carburetor cleaner.

Lee

#3 ·
The bolt release is definitely all the way back. The gun will only cock if I manually push the trigger forward.

I took the barreled receiver out of the stock and took a few pictures. The trigger mechanism looks clean.

A prior owner bedded the action.

#4 ·
Ok so it is not the bolt release. even though it looks clean could be something you can't see that is causing the problem.
check the cross screw which holds the trigger blade in place and see if it is too tight this can cause the blade to bind and trigger to not reset. if this is good probably need to remove the trigger.
one thing before you take the trigger off, by chance do you have the weight of pull adjusted as low as you can? some triggers is set below 15-oz. will have the same problem you are getting.

do you how to remove the trigger? it is held in place by a screw from the top and the cross pin in front. if you look real closely at the cross pin it is splined and can/should only come out and go back in one way drive the pin out opposite of the splined side.
one you get it out flush it out with carburetor cleaner and blow dry and then check to see if problem is fixed.

Lee

#5 ·
I cleaned out the trigger and bolt as well as I could without disassembling anything. I also increased the sear engagement a little bit by turning the screw on the trigger. That seems to have fixed it.

I mounted a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40 on it.

I took it to the range today and got it on paper with some cheap ammo and then switched to Eley tennex. The wind vas varying from a left 45 degree cross wind to about a right 45 degree crosswind. Top line was my first 5. Made an adjustment and got a second line. Then made a very small adjustment and put three in the upper left quadrant of the orange dot. This rifle seems like it has some promise.

50 yards with Eley tennex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.