Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin Picture Thread

282K views 679 replies 378 participants last post by  scout22 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and didn't notice a picture thread in the Marlin area. I thought maybe we could start one if you guys have any pics.

#645 ·
photos, I got photos!

I think I can post photos now!
Here's Marlin Brace of One Thousand with a high grade 39 LTD and a 336

Then there's the Brace 39 and the 39 centennial LTD... not quite twins

closer look at the Brace 39 with high grade walnut straight stock .

Attachments

#649 · (Edited)
Marlin Ballard Schoyen rifle

Picked up another Marlin Ballard in Denver at the CGCA show. It's a Geo. C. Schoyen Denver, Co. schuetzen rifle from the late 1800's. Pretty sad shape when I got it, but it did come with a nifty fitted case, Lyman Super Targetspot 20x, and a few other accessories. I just finished doing a full restoration, and had Al Springer case color the action, and rust blue the barrel. Had to fix the birdseye maple stocks, build the grip adapter, and repair the Schoyen buttplate. Al did his usual spectacular work, and my pictures don't do him justice!

#655 ·
Three Marlins all purchased within the last few months. I refinished the 1993 model 60 stock, put a Nikon 3-9x 40mm AO EFR scope on it
and had Arrowdodger put a KAT trigger in it. It shoots everything, std. vel, HV, min-mags any brand mix or match, no FTF or FTE....:gun4:

The 1969 model 99M1 came with the original rear sight, I swapped that over to the 1975 989M1 and put a UTG 3-9x 32mm AO "Bug Buster"scope on the 99M1.
Both rifles are pretty accurate and prefer high velocity CCI Blazer, Norma TAC 22, CCI Tactical and mini-mags. The stocks and hand guards on both rifles only
have a few minor dings so I will leave them as is......:)

#658 ·
Picked up a few more Marlin Ballards at the last Denver gun show in May. First is most appropriate here, as it's a rimfire in .22LR restored by Russ Gent. Deluxe wood, with Pope style schuetzen buttplate, and palm rest. The barrel is a heavy 30" full octagon, and it's set up for scope or iron sights. I will add both to it.
It's very unusual as it is not the typical cast frame .22 receiver used, but instead it's a forged CF rifle receiver.

Next is a Ballard #2 in .32-20 WCF caliber. Deluxe pistol gripped stocks, with shotgun buttplate. Also set up for scope or iron sights. I'll put a vernier tang sight, and globe front sight on it. 28" full octagon standard weight barrel.

Last but not least, is a cased Pope Ballard 3 barrel set! Calibers are .32-40, .28-35, and a .22WCF. The .28-35 is a necked out .25-35, and the only such caliber known on a Pope barrel. The case has a name tag on it with "L G Pridy Denver, Co." engraved on it. L G Pridy was on the Colorado Rifle Club 1919 record setting team for civilian competition. They set a record as a team of 9956 out of a possible 10,000 points.
The gun and cased set includes lube pump, bullet starter, re-decapper, push seaters, Win. B5 telescope, Win. loading tools, and numerous other pieces. A very exciting find, as I've only seen the Pope patented takedown system on one other Pope rifle. Pope was granted a patent in 1888, but seems it was not a big seller for him, as I'd guess most wanted one dedicated barrel.

#661 ·
Another old Ballard added to my collection. Been trying to buy this one for 4 years, and it finally came to fruition! It's a first year Marlin Ballard #4 Perfection from 1875. The caliber is .50-70 Govt., and it's the only Ballard I've ever seen factory chambered in this caliber!

It has the early heavy flat side forged receiver. Hammer, lever, trigger, and buttplate are all leftover Brown Mfg. Ballard parts. When Marlin took over production in 1875 they were given all the remaining parts, machinery, and even employees of the defunct Brown Mfg. Co.:

Had a period correct tang sight, so added it to make shooting easier:

The gun has almost no finish, but it appears to be just carry wear as the action is tight as a new Ballard! The bore is also like new, and like the rest of this gun, it's an oddity too! Marlin did not make .50 caliber barrels, as the .50-70 by 1875 was already becoming obsolete. So John Marlin purchased a few .50 caliber rifled barrels from C. Sharps Rifle Co. too assemble the .50-70 Govt. Ballard.
This Ballard is a conglomeration of parts, but all assembled at Marlin in 1875, so it's a correct conglomeration too!

#663 ·
Just finished this one. Had barrel issues, and I located a replacement barrel that was contoured from a Douglas Premium blank. It's a 30" #4 weight, half octagon, in .40-65 Win. caliber. Original Marlin Ballard factory engraved, DST, loop lever action. A midrange offhand rifle.

Scope is a Lyman 438 in their early offset mounts, to allow use of the tang sight, and globe front sight without scope removal.

#667 ·
It's begun...

Here is a picture of a piece of a '79 Glenfield 60 that I decided needed recoloring. It has a really dark stain on it now, and it's more ugly and rough than fine sandpaper and Old English or some such would fix up, so I am stripping it. Where the stock meets the buttplate was also super light as if there was never any stain there, or, someone refinished this and didn't take the time to "wrap" the color around the edges. Have not decided what is going back on it - see what it looks like bare first. Oh, the metal is almost perfect!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.