Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Picture Essay on Replacing the Marlin Bullseye

24K views 38 replies 26 participants last post by  Drills 
#1 ·
I replaced the bullseye on a newly acquired 39A. I decided to take pictures of the process to help others replace the bullseye. Thanks to Don Fenton :bthumb: for his sandpaper idea.

Here is a picture of the existing bullseye hole that I taped up to protect the stock. Luckily the hole did not have any chips, and i wanted to keep it that way.

I glued sandpaper of various grits onto the popsicle sticks with super glue. A few drops along the stick did the trick.

When I inserted the new plastic bullseye, it was a very tight fit. I tried to tap it in, but I was afraid of chipping out the hole. :eek: Instead, I sanded the the bullseye around it's diameter so it would be a snug fit.

I used wood glue on a toothpick to put into the bottom of the hole.
After a few easy taps with a wood mallet, I took a hack saw blade and cut the excess plastic sticking above the hole. It was now ready for sanding.

I started out with course sandpaper to remove material fast, and progressed to the finer stuff. I decided to add another layer of tape to protect the stock, but removed the extra layer toward the end of the polishing.

As good as new. I may end up replacing the white line spacers too, because of the not so perfect fit.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.