Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What Would You Pay ?

5K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  mr500cm 
#1 ·
Found a pristine-looking Glenfield 60 22" up for auction, serial #192xxx, with only one minor nick in the stock (easily fixed) and a Tasco scope. The original factory blue label is still attached to the underside of the stock, which leads me to believe it hasn't seen much action. And the action looks pretty clean, too.

I want to buy it, but the the asking price is $279.00 plus shipping. Too much, too little? I haven't bid on an auction gun before, but this one has zero bids and only two days left on the auction. I'm tempted to jump on it like a chicken on a June-Bug :D

Opinions welcomed. Photo is of the actual gun in question.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I paid $200 for what appeared to be an unfired Squirrel stocked Glenfield 60 with a Glenfield scope but that was two years ago.

I'd say if you really want it just buy it. you could spend $100 in gas just driving around to different shop and never find another one in that good of shape. In 5yrs $280 might be cheap, I found that out when putting off buying an LH CZ 452.

#7 ·
I paid $200 for what appeared to be an unfired Squirrel stocked Glenfield 60 with a Glenfield scope but that was two years ago.

I'd say if you really want it just buy it. you could spend $100 in gas just driving around to different shop and never find another one in that good of shape. In 5yrs $280 might be cheap, I found that out when putting off buying an LH CZ 452.
I kinda like the way you think...I bet my grandson would love to get his hands on this after I'm gone, but he's a bit young yet

#5 ·
The price is high in my opinion but I have several myself, however Marlin doesn’t make these anymore but they did make millions.
Tough call but if you want it and a little over $300. you’ll be comfortable then buy it, the values are increasing.
Good luck .
Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm tempted, but still mulling it over. Not too many Mom & Pop gun shops around these parts, which is why I decided to look online. Maybe I'll let the auction lapse and see if it gets relisted at a more reasonable price... but I doubt prices are going down anytime soon, and the odds of finding a really nice one seem to be getting slimmer by the day.

#8 · (Edited)
#10 ·
Our money is being devalued by the minute, stuff isnt going to get cheaper; especially stuff in very nice or better condition.
Btw, that scope is basically a cheapie, almost a give-away when new; and they havent improved with time.

#21 ·
Our money is being devalued by the minute, stuff isn't going to get cheaper; especially stuff in very nice or better condition.
Btw, that scope is basically a cheapie, almost a give-away when new; and they haven't improved with time.
Exactly this. Don't much care about the scope, it is age and condition that sways me one way or another. The more info and photos, the better.

#13 ·
None of my 60s bought local were ever more than 150.00 OTD..Some really nice ones at that..But most were bought several years back..And I only buy the ones in the 85 to 1990 year range..Those had the 22 Inch barrel yet, full magazine tube..And LSHO..That only occurred all at once for that short period..Those are worth a premium to me..

All that rambling done..Like others have said..If you like it..Go ahead and get it..They are not really going to ever get any cheaper as time goes by..And some will disagree..There will be no more ever made..Not by Marlin anyway..Has not been any made for quite a spell now..

#16 ·
None of my 60s bought local were ever more than 150.00 OTD..Some really nice ones at that..But most were bought several years back..And I only buy the ones in the 85 to 1990 year range..Those had the 22 Inch barrel yet, full magazine tube..And LSHO..That only occurred all at once for that short period..Those are worth a premium to me..

All that rambling done..Like others have said..If you like it..Go ahead and get it..They are not really going to ever get any cheaper as time goes by..And some will disagree..There will be no more ever made..Not by Marlin anyway..Has not been any made for quite a spell now..

:yeahthat: Agreed Here!!!

#18 ·
What *I* would pay & what it's worth are often far apart. :D

*I* wouldn't pay over $300, but that's just me. I have two 60's, so I'm covered. But I agree too often they're overpriced for what they are.

But too often, the heart wants what the heart wants. Lord knows I've over paid for a gun more than a few times simply because I wanted that thing. :cool:

#20 ·
Back around 1973 I bought a Glenfield w/pressed checkering at K-mart for about $40, no scope. In 2018 I bought a NIB 2014 Mayfield in Laminate with a Barska 3-9x40 rimfire scope and a box of CCI-MM for $250 CDN - about $200 USD. :bthumb: I was happy with both deals :D
Wish I still had that Glenfield :rolleyes: even w/o LSHO :eek:

#23 ·
The one you are looking at is definitely a little on the pricey side. I bought this one a couple years ago for $185 and thought that was high enough at the time. But I had parted with a Squirrel stocked one many moons ago and wanted another one.

This one popped up at my local gun pushers shop and was in such nice shape I just had to have it. So it really depends on how much you want it.

Attachments

#24 ·
So it really depends on how much you want it.
Well, I found another one, almost as nice, with only one bid. I'd have to go above $205 to get it, but the auction doesn't close for several more days - gives me time to marinate on it awhile.

%%%% you, Cabelas ! Raising my limit just as I was beginning to shop around...oh, well - time will tell what happens. Y'all got some nice squirrel guns !

#26 ·
The Marlin Model 60 has suddenly become one of the highest priced 22's in the small rifle market. I have been buying them for parting out for the past nearly 5 years. What a person paid nine months ago has little to do with the current market. I have traveled miles looking for these guns, in different states, and they are currently a rare find. Three hundred dollars for a really nice one is not an outrageous price in the current market. I agree, it is outrageous contrasted with the price we paid a few months ago, but until and unless Ruger brings back the Marlin 22 I don't see the price going down a great amount. There are some who still are lucky enough to get a lower price, but I doubt you could purchase one at any price within 150 miles of where I live. I have called and visited many dealers and some nearly laugh at the request for a model 60. If they get one, it is on the shelf for less than a day or two. Reality of life. Perceived value is in the heart of the person selling and the one buying. When both meet the assumed value the gun goes out the door. It goes back to supply and demand.

#27 ·
The Marlin Model 60 has suddenly become one of the highest priced 22's in the small rifle market. I have been buying them for parting out for the past nearly 5 years. What a person paid nine months ago has little to do with the current market.
I concur with this. I've been tinkering with the Marlins (off and on) for years, ever since I fell in love with the Anniversary edition 60 and bought several for family members. The Marlin 60 I found at auction has been relisted at $279, but the second one I found - a Glenfield 60 - is still hovering around $200, and it sure is purty.

Attachments

#30 · (Edited)
Your $279 seems high, for I only paid $175 for mine new (with a shorter mag tube), scoped with a synthetic stock back in Feb. But then I did the math:
Marlin 60 - $175
3-9×40 & One-piece mount - $52.58
80's OEM Birch Ebay stock - $104.91
D.I.P. Trigger - $51.96
Thats $384.45 not including scope covers and TruOil and refinishing supplies and time, but that's what I wanted to do with my Model 60 during the bordeom of Covid...
Output device Kitchen appliance Wood Home appliance Font

Hood String instrument accessory Guitar accessory Bumper Musical instrument accessory

I did a quick search on one Florida Classified website and found a few for cheaper. I don't do auctions, I prefer private face-to-face. Heck, someone on there just sold a scoped Glenfield 60 w/ 1100 rounds of 22lr for $250...Good luck!!
https://floridaguntrader.com/index....r]=&b[by_zip_code]=&b[by_zip_code_distance]=0

#31 ·
How much is too much~?

I love the way people quibble over $50 or $75. If that little amount of money means that much to you, you probably shouldn't be using it to buy a gun of any sort. I've paid "too much" for several guns, but they are clean, clean, clean and I wanted them. I bought a 39A last year that was made in 1957 and handed the LGS $500 plus the tax. Do you think I paid too much~? You've got to consider the fact that it's pretty old gun even if it is in like new condition, and you know how it goes. It doesn't have that bad-%%% AR look, it doesn't take a 30 round magazine, and it won't hit a target 500 yards away. But I don't mind it being old, and the son-of-a-gun really shoots well.
Maybe I should have offered the shop owner $75 less and walked away if he wouldn't take it. Shoot, I could use that $75 today to fill the gas tank on my pick up truck~!!!

#32 ·
I love the way people quibble over $50 or $75. If that little amount of money means that much to you, you probably shouldn't be using it to buy a gun of any sort. I've paid "too much" for several guns, but they are clean, clean, clean and I wanted them. I bought a 39A last year that was made in 1957 and handed the LGS $500 plus the tax. Do you think I paid too much~? You've got to consider the fact that it's pretty old gun even if it is in like new condition, and you know how it goes. It doesn't have that bad-%%% AR look, it doesn't take a 30 round magazine, and it won't hit a target 500 yards away. But I don't mind it being old, and the son-of-a-gun really shoots well.
Maybe I should have offered the shop owner $75 less and walked away if he wouldn't take it. Shoot, I could use that $75 today to fill the gas tank on my pick up truck~!!!
Being a 1957 model I see extra value in your purchase.

#33 ·
First of all I don't think you paid to much for the rifle. The like new non safety 39a are bringing more than $650 all day on the auction sites and LGS. I learned a lesson years ago concerning quibbling over a little cash. I was at a gun show and found a Remington 34p with all factory sights with a scratch on the stock, I made the owner a decent offer and he countered but I wouldn't budge. I left and have regretted not buying the rifle over a few bucks. It was the only one I have had my hands on. It want happen again to me.

#34 ·
Locally, the demand for .22s of any kind is pretty high and so are the prices, even for a Glenfield and rough condition single-shots. The gun is worth whatever you think it is worth if you want it bad enough. I've paid too much for several guns that I wanted over the years, but never regretted the price if I kept it and shot it. The last Glenfield/Marlin I saw was at a gun show this past weekend in Springerville, AZ and it had a price of $250.00 on it and I doubt the owner took it home because it didn't sell.

#36 ·
Well someone has to pay retail, just not me. A used gun is most likely purchased at 2/3rds or less of its blue book value. Thats a lot more margin than new guns . New , I shop online , used , i shop lgs’s, or arms list. Make an offer, if they wont move , make your decision and live with it.

A model 60, is just not a gun i would pay a premium for.

#38 ·
I paid $200 a year ago for a Marlin 60 long barrel long mag tube without the LSBHO. It had the factory inspection stickers on it and perfectly clean barrel. Sold it 5 months ago to a local guy for $400. That is what he offered me and I took it. Built another AR. I have 3 other Marlins in the safe and really didn't want to just keep it to not shoot it.

#40 ·
So OP, did you finally get one of the ones you were looking at?

I've overpaid for guns I was glad to have, and gotten good deals on stinkers. Over time the price you paid is irrelevant, because money comes and goes no matter what you do. You can agonize over paying $200 too much for a rifle, and a week later a rock hits your car's windshield forcing to pay your $500 deductible just to make your car whole again. As long as you're not having trouble paying the bills or buying new shoes for your kid then don't fret over something you want that happens to be priced a little high.

When I was a teenager my friend had a Marlin 60. We'd often argue whether his rifle was better than my Ruger 10/22. More often than not his rifle would beat mine in both accuracy and reliability. In more recent years nostalgia made me want a rifle like his so I could relive those days of my mis-spent youth, so I always kept my eye out for one. Earlier this year I finally found one identical to his, a 1980s model with the full-length magazine and LSHO. I only paid $149.99 so it was a no-brainer, and since buying it it's been my most-fired .22 rifle. I probably would still have bought it if it was $200.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.