Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin model 81 dl

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Boomer... 
#1 ·
So, just got the best kind of gun in the world, the free kind. As the title says, a marlin 81 dl. Looks almost exactly like my old man's model 80. Couple questions, are they basically the same gun? Do they both have the little guide thing atop the breach? Because if so, the old man's is missing it. Also, what are the scope options? I've seen the mounts that replace the peep sights, is there any that maybe go in the dovetail groove for the standard rear blade sight? I'd at least like to be able to take the scope off quick to go to the peep, ideally a situation where you can use the peep under the scope.

#3 ·
Huh. Pretty sure the old man's says it's an 80, and it's definitely tube fed. Maybe the old man's grandpa changed it up. Is it the same barrel and reciever? Could you swap parts? I notice there's dovetail grooves that hold the tube on. Would also explain the peep on the old man's. Also explains the cut out in my stock with way more clearance than the elevator for the tube needs.

#5 ·
The guide is easily broken and the barrel must be removed to replace it. My 1963 Sears 43/ 81 DL barrel and receiver is splined and pinned, the pin was hard to remove. It is both splined and tapered so it only comes out and goes back in in one direction. Once the pin is out you chuck the barrel in a padded vise and drive the receiver tube off with a lead bar and an appropriate hammer. The guide fits into a slot machined into the barrel. as was stated, Numrich/Gun Parts Corporation usually has them in stock. Some say you can use the rifle without the guide if you carefully adjust the cartridge lifter lips, but that was not my experience. I find it works much better with the guide in place.

#6 ·
Glad the one I own is all good. My old man's needs the clip that goes over the bolt too. Things been rode hard. His grandpa used it on rabbits, probably pieced a model 80 and 81 together, as the 80 is box magazine fed normally, but his is stamped model 80 with a tube mag and homemade stock. Probably a million rounds through my old man's, one I got looks like most of its problems are from bad-ish storage. Rifling looks really good. Can't have been shot as much.

#13 ·
Marlin 81-DL

I also have a model 81-DL I am restoring for my daughter and ran into some issues with original condition. The sights are not original, but it appears to be the only mod on this beauty. My only issue is finding another cartridge lifter assembly due to this one being pretty worn.

#15 ·
I still have my 81DL, owned since new as a young teenager prox 1962-1963. Not shot much but sadly not in great cosmetic condition, i.e., stock is slightly cracked from lousy installation of sling studs and barrel dinged from ham-fisted lack of knowledge how to properly drift out the dovetail sight (replaced by peep sight). Ironic, 'cus I became extremely fussy with my stuff as I matured.

As such, not worth attempting to restore to original so better instead as an otherwise excellent candidate for donor parts. It is complete and could safely be fired after cleaning but I'm not inclined to do that. Once starting to sell-off parts, I'm committed. Not willing to do the eBay thing in any case... :shakehead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.