Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:55 PM
Reidan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scope Height Advice

I just got a brand new Tactical Solution X-Ring VR Rifle with their Vantage RS Stock. I put a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40mm scope with medium height Leupold rings on it.

I used the Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x33mm with Medium Warne Rings on a Ruger American Rimfire and the ďfitĒ was perfect.

The fit of the TacSol rifle is way too low. I have to pretty much turn my head sideways to be able to look down the scope.

The Vantage RS stock has a high cheek riser on the stock. So I know this is what is causing the issue. Wish I had known this would be an issue before I placed a custom order for the rifle.

I donít think standard high rings are gonna get it anywhere near high enough to be usable. I really like the look and feel of the stock. So what kind of options do I have. And if I raise the scope so high above the centerline of the bore of the barrel, how is that going to effect the trigonometry of the scope. Will it be usable?

The built in Picatinny rail on the TacSol receiver does have a 15 MOA built into it.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:55 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
The standard high rings are ~0.4" high. There are super-high rings that are ~0.5" high. Is that extra tenth of an inch going to do it? I've also seen some very high rings... these are expensive but say they are 0.9" high:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2988124114

There may be other options at better prices.

Otherwise you might consider getting a riser such as is commonly used on AR pattern rifles. They are called scope riser or mount riser or riser rail. Here is an example of some that are offered but shop around to find one that matches the height you need. You might have to get shorter rings if the riser is very tall. Also be mindful to get one with no elevation adjustment (0 MOA) unless you just want to add more to the 15 MOA you already have.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/s/mounts-riser

Quote:
And if I raise the scope so high above the centerline of the bore of the barrel, how is that going to effect the trigonometry of the scope. Will it be usable?
It will certainly be usable and more comfortable, I'm guessing. Off the bench you won't have to crook your neck and standing you'll be able to keep your head very erect which helps reduce wobble.

What it will affect is calculations about max point blank range which probably won't be an issue for you if you aren't using this rifle for hunting. You sight in as normal for whatever ranges you will be shooting.

Welcome to RFC.

Last edited by Sophia; 09-27-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might want to consider the Nikon P-223 rings. These are made for use on AR’s and are higher than what is usually considered high rings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 10:26 PM
Leonard T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you want to use a riser check out the UTG/LEAPERS super slim riser mount on page 5 in the mounting systems ar platform section on their web site. Very nice solid riser I used a couple on AR flat top builds. They come in 3-4 heights if I remember correctly so you wont have to use super high rings. Hope this is helpful. LT
Old 09-28-2019, 04:33 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidan View Post
So what kind of options do I have. And if I raise the scope so high above the centerline of the bore of the barrel, how is that going to effect the trigonometry of the scope. Will it be usable?
It will be fine. I shoot very high scopes in various matches, offhand and bench, and do just fine. The only place a high scope is a problem is when shooting prone, especially if you don't have a young, limber spine.

You need not be the least concerned with the "trigonometry" of a high scope with a .22. That can be a minor issue with a flat-shooting CF round, but it certainly i isn't with a .22, where you are lobbing the bullet just to get out to 50 yards.

Leonard has, IMO, the best solution. Here is the riser he is talking about:

Your existing rings would probably work fine with the added height a .5" riser would provide.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:21 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidan View Post
I just got a brand new Tactical Solution X-Ring VR Rifle with their Vantage RS Stock.
That kind of stock calls for AR height rings. I've used these for people with small faces.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vism-1i...RR-1IHR-VR1H13

I prefer the ones that are just a bit taller, 1.5 inches to optical center.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:47 PM
Leonard T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage plinker that's the other one. The one I mentioned is more streamlined and no large attaching nuts, it has 3 flush #20 torx screws holding it. Plus it's better looking.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:31 PM
Reidan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the recommendations. Lots of good advice.

I am not too old, in my 50ís. But already developing some arthritis in my spine. So I mainly shoot off a bench. Have not gone hunting in over a decade.

Once of the reasons I picked up this rifle is I want to take the Appleseed class and try for my patch. Itís one of the reasons I wanted a semi-auto over my existing bolt action RAR. I know it will require some sitting and prone positions. But as said, they are short distances.