Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:48 PM
SpentBrass87
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New guy looking for build suggestions...

Hello folks. I've been lurking here for a bit, checking out builds and whatnot. Big thanks to those who post pics and parts lists. Seems like a pretty friendly forum.

I've slightly customized a 10/22 Tactical model already but I'm seeking a full build now. Focus is on accuracy and light weight on a budget. Also, everything has to be black in color. I've started buying parts already, planning to put them in a PMACA takedown chassis. This is going to be a pistol build with a brace. Also will be a suppressor host as I have a Dead Air Mask pending.

So far all I've got is the new Brownells railed billet receiver, JWH match bolt kit and just ordered KIDD single stage for 15% off. I'm trying to order the exact parts I wan't only when i find them on sale. I don't mind if it takes me the rest of the year to finish the build.

I'd like to have about a 12" barrel. This length, from what I've read, seems to give near peak velocity with most ammo without being overly long with a can on it. I will shoot subs or SV ammo if i want movie quiet.

My question is, who sells a 12" take down barrel? Only one I've found is Whistlepig but im not keen on the aluminum and I've seen some bad reviews or haters. Is it my best bet to just call VQ and have a custom carbon fiber one made? I think that would be like $300 and i wouldn't mind spending less than that and putting the savings towards the optic. I would go 10" but I don't want a rail mounted to the barrel.

So what do you guys recommend?

Pic of current rifle included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190316_164558_resized.jpg (323.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-25-2019, 07:19 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpentBrass87 View Post
Hello folks. I've been lurking here for a bit, checking out builds and whatnot. Big thanks to those who post pics and parts lists. Seems like a pretty friendly forum.

I've slightly customized a 10/22 Tactical model already but I'm seeking a full build now. Focus is on accuracy and light weight on a budget. Also, everything has to be black in color. I've started buying parts already, planning to put them in a PMACA takedown chassis. This is going to be a pistol build with a brace. Also will be a suppressor host as I have a Dead Air Mask pending.

So far all I've got is the new Brownells railed billet receiver, JWH match bolt kit and just ordered KIDD single stage for 15% off. I'm trying to order the exact parts I wan't only when i find them on sale. I don't mind if it takes me the rest of the year to finish the build.

I'd like to have about a 12" barrel. This length, from what I've read, seems to give near peak velocity with most ammo without being overly long with a can on it. I will shoot subs or SV ammo if i want movie quiet.

My question is, who sells a 12" take down barrel? Only one I've found is Whistlepig but im not keen on the aluminum and I've seen some bad reviews or haters. Is it my best bet to just call VQ and have a custom carbon fiber one made? I think that would be like $300 and i wouldn't mind spending less than that and putting the savings towards the optic. I would go 10" but I don't want a rail mounted to the barrel.

So what do you guys recommend?

Pic of current rifle included.
Do you plan to register it as a SBR and use a centerfire can you already have? If you have a dedicated 22LR can I would look at this. https://www.tacticalsol.com/xring-ta...akedown-barrel

Last edited by GH41; 07-25-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:45 AM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Do you plan to register it as a SBR and use a centerfire can you already have? If you have a dedicated 22LR can I would look at this. https://www.tacticalsol.com/xring-ta...akedown-barrel
and With no need to SBR it.

1022TD.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 05:55 PM
SpentBrass87

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So, as I stated in my OP, i plan to build a pistol with a wrist brace from a virgin receiver, so no need to SBR. Also I have a Dead Air Mask .22 can pending.

I thought about that TacSol barrel with the pinned shield on the end but I read its a huge PITA to remove it and will probably ruin the barrel threads. At this point I'm thinking I will probably just go with the Whistlepig 12" if I see it on sale, unless I luck into a 10-12" carbon fiber sleeve barrel at some point.

ETA- Punctuation...

Pic of my new Brownells receiver with JWH bolt installed-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190725_193514_resized.jpg (212.7 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by SpentBrass87; 07-26-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:02 PM
SpentBrass87

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So this is NOT MINE but, sort of what i want to build, same brace but want a folding adapter, different optic and longer barrel. Also all black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180130-165339.jpg (406.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-26-2019, 07:47 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Folding brace, twenty dollar sight, takedown and 25 round magazine all scream mall ninja to me. We really need a mall ninja forum here. Come on mods.. Let's do it. Along with a narrow minded old farts, shade tree gun plumber and how to butcher a gun with a Dremel tool forum. Let's make this place better.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:55 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well first of all I hope you registered the reciever as a pistol, 2) if you cant find a barrel, buy used til you find the 1 you want and cut it to length and recrown or thread, simple build get parts and put it together that's the modularity of the 10/22
Old 07-26-2019, 09:31 PM
SpentBrass87

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thats me, Mall Ninja, I daily carry a wakizashi too. Also, does any state really have a "registration" for firearms? I'm not sure about California laws? A virgin firearm receiver can legally be built into a pistol or a rifle but, if built as a rifle must stay as a rifle. You can build a pistol then later turn it into a rifle, but then it must stay a rifle.

Every reply I've gotten to the thread could fall under the "Narrow Minded Old-Farts" forum. I guess if I was building an eight-teen inch bench rifle with a multi-colored laminate thumb-hole stock, then I would get the answers I was looking for.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:18 AM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wow, that's exactly what I'm building, stock should be up in 2-3 weeks
Old 07-27-2019, 01:20 AM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Oh wow again , I did answer your question that would of been after 2)
Old 07-27-2019, 02:11 PM
PMACA
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpentBrass87 View Post
Thats me, Mall Ninja, I daily carry a wakizashi too. Also, does any state really have a "registration" for firearms? I'm not sure about California laws? A virgin firearm receiver can legally be built into a pistol or a rifle but, if built as a rifle must stay as a rifle. You can build a pistol then later turn it into a rifle, but then it must stay a rifle.

Every reply I've gotten to the thread could fall under the "Narrow Minded Old-Farts" forum. I guess if I was building an eight-teen inch bench rifle with a multi-colored laminate thumb-hole stock, then I would get the answers I was looking for.
That would be an "Assault Weapon" in California, would need to get a dangerous weapons permit just to think about building it.