Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:51 PM
LongueCarabine

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw View Post
Bet you don't wait another year to shoot it again!
LOL, you got that right. This rifle is sweet. I can't believe I waited this long.

We've been having trouble with raccoons killing my MIL's chickens. Wifey wants me to get rid of them.

I think this rifle is just the ticket.

LC
Old 06-21-2018, 08:10 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
552 is a long running classic

has been in production since the mid 1950s. I shoot lefty, and if you do keep the ejection port deflector in place, it throws out a lot of un burned powder ! also, watch where you place your right hand, the bolt handle WILL BITE YOU, ask me how I know! LOL look for two letters stamped on the left side of the barrel, below rear sight at the junction where the barrel fits into the receiver. that will denote the month and year your rifle was built. give me the letters and I can date it for you. if it has a serial number on the left side of the receiver, it is 1968 and newer. enjoy your classic old Remington .22.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:16 AM
Ultraboy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had my 552 for a year or two. Bought “NIB” off Gun Broker. When I picked it up at my local FFL, I didn’t inspect it very well. (Shame on me) took it to the range, and had 4 stovepipes out of every 10 rounds. Bought 6 different brands of 22’s and had the same thing. Took it apart and it was a mess. Ended up sending it back to Remington. Two weeks later, got it back ‘No Charge’ with a page of work they had done to it. Replaced this and that, re-machined, cleaned, inspected, test fired, etc. I was amazed at the list of problems and corrections they had done. That was a year and a half ago, and it’s been in the safe since then. Almost sold it twice, but didn’t. A week ago, I came across a gun I had been looking for for a while, an S&W Model 41. I Shoot Steel Challenge with two red dot semi autos, and thought, well with the 41, and the 552, I could shoot both limited and open classes with 4 guns. Well, IF the 552 would play. Went to the range, and ran 100 rounds of CCI SV through it with absolutely no problems! I was finally impressed with a gun that I’d relegated to the safe wrongly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C31E8E7E-9BA2-4BE2-9D80-41C24047DA4B.jpg (398.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-20-2018, 04:59 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I'm in !!
Just today received a 1980 speed master .

I'm thrilled!!
Old 07-21-2018, 09:18 AM
qwiksdraw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
I'm in !!
Just today received a 1980 speed master .

I'm thrilled!!

Range report!
Old 07-21-2018, 01:54 PM
buckweet

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw View Post
Range report!

My new to me 552 Speedmaster..
With Leupold rimfire scope..

Blazers ammo.. 35 yards ..
Under quarter size..
But ?
Sadly.. I cannot shoot righty, anymore..😫

So left handy,. Not terrible...?

After my eye surgery..
It's even kinda fuzzy in the scope..
So I'm trying my best to overcome my limitations..
Very pleased with the results.. so far.

I'm just not quick . Like I am shooting right handed..
Yeah... Dr say .. I maybe have to let him work on my eye again....
Sigh.....
Old 07-21-2018, 01:57 PM
buckweet

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
P.s.

Yes my new 552 has the deflector..
So ...I like that when shooting lefty.

I just found out..this Rifle has been in my family since new..
Old 07-24-2018, 02:21 PM
qwiksdraw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
P.s.

Yes my new 552 has the deflector..
So ...I like that when shooting lefty.

I just found out..this Rifle has been in my family since new..
Although I am right handed and shoot pistols right handed, I have to shoot rifles left handed because of visual impairment of my right eye. Now I have had this my entire life and shooting rifles like a lefty is completely natural for me. Shooting my 552 has always been fun and can shoot it all day with no problems. Pretty good for accuracy, it makes me look good.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Bobin Maine
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
New to me 552, P V, 1979, 1.5 mil.

The 552 looks like 100% new. Purchased it at auction $95. When trying to fire, I discovered a baseless spent cartridge in the chamber. Removed it, cleaned the rifle and now shoots flawlessly. I wonder how long it sat in a closet with its problem.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:26 PM
HKAG
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New 552 Member - need date help

Yesterday, I picked up an ADL model in excellent condition.

Has the longer barrel and a SN in the 1,460,5XX range.
From what I have learned this is after 1968 and up to 1978 with those two characteristics.

The barrel is what is throwing me off, it is marked " J D S 78 " .

I am assuming that the first mark is a J vs a hook symbol.
The S looks like it could be an 8 perhaps....

The 78 is close to the receiver and the font is slightly larger than the three letters, and at a slight downward angle.

Regardless, this does not appear to follow the traditional barrel naming schemes that I have seen in this thread.....

Thanks for your help!!

HK Ag
Old 10-27-2018, 05:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
I would throw out the J and call it September 1969.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:02 AM
sgomes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Confirming age of my Model 552?

Have had this 552 for some time, but now wanting to confirm its age; and, to get recommendations for a good set-up for killing paper. But, keeping the horse before the cart, I find that with, now 67 year old floater-filled eyeballs, a new condition presents - One must first SEE the paper!!

I started out on a path driven by target acquisition which led me to a rear peep, with some kind of glasses-mounted aperture; but, I quickly found options too abundant to sift through, given my limited formal understanding and experience with rifles. While growing up hunting and shooting, I spent most of that time with shotgun in hand - lots of bird hunting and trapshooting; but, being lucky enough to have youthed in Northern California within walking distance of land open to plinking, I also ran uncountable rounds of .22lr through a variety of frames.

With this gun's receiver dovetail grooves, I have ordered a Williams WGRS-54 peep; but, wanting to have spacing options, I have been trying (without success!) to find some kind of dovetail to dovetail rail extension to dial in the optimal mix of comfort and sight/target clarity.

I am not tied to a peep if there is a scope option without sacrificing target acquisition at 50 and 100yds.

Anyway, with no serial number, my 552 barrel letters are A N, which I believe brings the manufacture date in at March 1966, correct? And, I would like to know the subspecies of my 552?

I will appreciate any input that might help with setup and identification of my 552.

Here are some pics:

Thank you all.

Steve
Old 12-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Jhoss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How 'bout some groups?

25 yards
4 power scope
The orange dot is 1 inch diameter.

Aquila:

CCI Standard Velocity:

BBM:

Winchester Super X ,1300fps:
Old 12-14-2018, 03:02 AM
No-Bull-2day
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
552 W/Checkering - What model/grade do I have?

sgomes
Very Nice Rifle...
And a real coincidence, I was updating my gun logs as I just added another 552 which has same barrel marking code "AN" and looks just like your 552 photos above. I came here in search of the sub-grade of my 552. Is it called a Deluxe or BDL or what?

Same wood checkering, same front sight, my rear sight is a flip down with white triangle and my pistol grip has same end cap. It also has nice well grained wood like yours.
I plucked it for $250 last week. Overall condition in my opinion is a solid 8.5 out of 10. It's the best condition of all my old 552's & 572's (have 3 or each, most of them have no serial numbers). Maybe I'm eligible for 552 & 572 Club?

I'm waiting to hear from the 552 Club Experts to answer our question on sub-grade.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:58 PM
HKAG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKAG View Post
Yesterday, I picked up an ADL model in excellent condition.

Has the longer barrel and a SN in the 1,460,5XX range.
From what I have learned this is after 1968 and up to 1978 with those two characteristics.

The barrel is what is throwing me off, it is marked " J D S 78 " .

I am assuming that the first mark is a J vs a hook symbol.
The S looks like it could be an 8 perhaps....

The 78 is close to the receiver and the font is slightly larger than the three letters, and at a slight downward angle.

Regardless, this does not appear to follow the traditional barrel naming schemes that I have seen in this thread.....

Thanks for your help!!

HK Ag
Who can help me with the above?

HK Ag