.22 mag recommendations - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:23 AM
SquirrelBlaster
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I dont agree that 22 mag accuracy sucks, at least not in all rifles. I am definitely not impressed with my RAR but my H&R Handirifle is very accurate. Smaller groups at 100 than my RAR at 50. I had a Mossberg many many years ago that was very accurate and the old ones have a reputation for accuracy. Would never have sold it but during a hard stretch I had to sell all my guns.
I don't agree either, I've had 6 22 mag rifles and 4 of them were 1/2 inch guns at 50 and consistently under 1.5 at 100, not true bench rest accuracy but more than acceptable. I think the biggest thing that holds the gun back is that pretty much all the ammo is designed for hunting and theres no match ammo available, at least not that I'm aware of.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:38 PM
917M2Sfan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I've owned around 3 dozen rifles chambered in .22 MAG, still have 18 of them, and if push came to shove the one that I'd keep is a Marlin 983S. I know a guy who is a subsistence hunter/farmer/fisher and his everyday carry firearm is a very worn Marlin 883S.

Those stainless/laminated Marlins aren't the lightest rifles going, but they are close to bulletproof and there is little worry about losing the magazine as there can be with detachable magazine styles.

I have found that almost all rimfires are ammo sensitive and there isn't an Eley option to set a baseline for the .22 Magnum, but I have settled on RWS as my baseline to compare all other brands against. That said, I have a Mossberg 640M that shoots its best groups with Fiocchi ammo, so there aren't any hard and fast rules when it comes to rimfire ammo.

Last edited by 917M2Sfan; 12-06-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:25 AM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
The most utilize 22mag I know of is the aformenntioned marlin tube fee 22mag. Dunno when they came out, but I didn't know a serious hunter or trapper in rural Alaska that didn't have one they treated and used like a crescent wrench. Remember as a kid seeing them strapped to packs atv and in and out of about every skiff i
Around.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:10 AM
Seabreeze1970

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I pick up a new Marlin Monday and hope to sight it in that evening.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
OK guys everybody knows I have a nice collection of 22mag rifles but here are my tube fed rifles which the one in front always goes with me no matter where I go out shooting even if it's Skeet or Trap range my Marlin 883 is the one that I have complete faith in.

The one is back is my 983 Fleur de lis stocked rifle both are in 22mag. The only thing different between these two rifles...it the stock and the reticle in my V-16s...one reticle is for when there is wind and the other for long range shooting.

Out of all my different rifles I own there are four so far that if the house was burning down...I would grab these two and two others to make it out the door.

Signalman
Old 12-07-2019, 12:22 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beautiful pair of rifles.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:29 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think I am late getting into the race, but I have a Zastava that shoots very well. I have had it a year and a half or so. I picked it up at Whitakers after missing one at Cabela's for $150. Paid +/- $225 at Whitakers iirc.

Had it out a couple weeks ago at the local DNR range. Nice sunny day, no wind, at 100 yd.s:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The group is actually 5 shots. I think one shot expanded the top hole at the 5 o'clock position. The lower hole marked 1st was my aim point. I have a Nikon P-223 3x9 AO BDC scope on it. I was shooting Hornady 30 gr. V-max. Measured out at 0.483 in.s top to bottom. center to center holes. I moved the Oculus scope to another rifle.

I have a Zastava CZ99, aka Remington Mdl Five, .22 LR that will shoot nearly the same groups at 100 yd.sl. My CZs come in second place, but are nearly as good.

VH
Old 12-09-2019, 01:38 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Hey VH67 sir that just goes to show the members here that say the 22mag is not accurate...you can shoot with me any time.

its mostly about the ammo your using which makes all the difference in the world and if that is what you get at 100 yards out then your still smaller than a tennis ball at 125 yards out.

It's a target like that gives a hunter like me a great feeling that your golden I have a rifle that has given me full faith in it and that anything 4 legged that is larger than a Tennis ball. (rabbit, squirrel, GH, wood chuck...etc is DRT (dead right there) at less than 125 yards out...that my friend is worth it's weight in gold.

The great thing about that is you did not spend $500 or more to get there. Heck my Marlin 983 was about $180 and the V-16 was about $275 or so which gives me one of my most accurate rifles I own compared to rifles in my collection that are over $500 to start with and that does not include scope or rings.

Thanks for sharing and nice shooting there.

Signalman
Old 12-09-2019, 05:14 PM
roddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman View Post
OK guys everybody knows I have a nice collection of 22mag rifles but here are my tube fed rifles which the one in front always goes with me no matter where I go out shooting even if it's Skeet or Trap range my Marlin 883 is the one that I have complete faith in.

The one is back is my 983 Fleur de lis stocked rifle both are in 22mag. The only thing different between these two rifles...it the stock and the reticle in my V-16s...one reticle is for when there is wind and the other for long range shooting.

Out of all my different rifles I own there are four so far that if the house was burning down...I would grab these two and two others to make it out the door.

Signalman
Considering your collection, that's pretty high praise. Enough so, that if I ever stumble over an 883 at a gunshow, I'll be sure to grab it up. I've considered an XT22M, but the ones I've handled were all magazine fed, and I don't like the feel of those magazines. They remind me of a 597M magazine, and most of us know how well those work...
Old 12-09-2019, 06:07 PM
rswink

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My wife still wants the XT-22 tube fed, she looks for them occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2019, 07:19 PM
RCGuy50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Considering your collection, that's pretty high praise. Enough so, that if I ever stumble over an 883 at a gunshow, I'll be sure to grab it up. I've considered an XT22M, but the ones I've handled were all magazine fed, and I don't like the feel of those magazines. They remind me of a 597M magazine, and most of us know how well those work...
Have no fears with the Marlin magazines. They insert, feed, drop out, and reload well. The Marlin magazines are also affordable.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Roddy sir I was raised shooting a tube fed...a Winchester model 61 pump rifle...so when it came time for me to buy my very first 22mag rifle my getting a Marlin 883 was a no brainer...my older brother had a Marlin 983 Stainless Steel model and I loved it...so I went looking for a blue 983...but the only thing I could find after months of searching was a 883 NOS for about $180...and let me tell now that I had had it for about 10 years now it is my top rifle. A few years ago I was going out every weekend climbing up and down a mountain side...plinking and shooting at any thing I saw short of rabbits if there was none around....stink bugs, broken clay birds, etc. I have been blown away on how accurate this rifle has been.

The real test was Gopher shooting over at Cedarville where after many years of shooting trips. I would go with my older brothers and when they stop shooting and pick out shots for me to take and I get high fives from them...they would try to find shots that were very hard for me to do. I can honestly tell you I have full faith in my 883 because of the experience of shooting it over the years. It to me is priceless...Its my go to rifle.

Signalman
Old 12-15-2019, 11:33 PM
Texas-Gun-Man
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I REALLY like my Ruger RPR in .22 WMR I've only taken out a couple of times and I'm still dialing it in. TGM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191208_121728_1576470618478.jpg (360.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-16-2019, 09:32 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot this target from a rest a while back with my H&R Handirifle. Scope is a Simmons 22 mag 4x32. Ammo was Winchester 22 mag 40 grain solids. 100 yards. The X ring is 1".The 1st two shots are on the far left. 3rd shot is 4 clicks right and 1 click up. 4th shot is 4 clicks right and 1 click up. Next 5 (possibly 6) are 2 clicks right and I turned the elevation 1 click down instead of up. I was shocked as I was not expecting this but I guess it likes Winchester. I was given 3 boxes or I probably would not have tried it. My RAR wont eject them so I decided to try them in the H&R. For some reason my pictures keep getting turned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H&R 22 mag..jpg (133.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by JTJ; 12-16-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:51 PM
AubMassCoyote

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I gotta admit, those Rugers look so nice and sleek. Do they still make that Ruger lever action in .22 Mag?

I'd be interested in even an old single shot. Did Stevens make a single shot .22 Mag?

Another interesting one is the Chiappa Little Badger. It is kind of a fold-up rifle. I think they used to call them bicycle guns.

Last edited by AubMassCoyote; 12-17-2019 at 09:54 PM.