FINDING THE RIGHT AMMUNITION - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:08 PM
Njjr
National Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Well I just order ten different boxes of ammo. some are top of the line and some are in the middle. I am not really concerned with cost. I want to make those small holes within a dime. After all, if I am going to spend all my kids inheritance, I want to be
satisfied with the results.

I want to thank you all for your input. Please, if someone comes aboard with new ideas, by all means post them. I have an open mind right now. Rim fire is completely new to me for benchrest shooting.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:24 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You want to try something challenging, right?
Don't shoot groups. If you want to improve y'er skills faster,
don't shoot for group size, shoot for score, one dot, one shot.
It will force you to shift position for every shot.
Teach you how to hit what you aim at and show you which cartridges get the job done, consistently.
You'll figure out real fast, it ain't brand, it's cartridge quality y'er looking for.
Plenty of free targets available to download and print to keep it interesting.

Here's a link to a collection to start with...

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...HZFTzFZUi1VZG8

Last edited by jaia; 06-29-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:48 AM
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cheap target grade ammo is an oxymoron.
American made CCI SV might be the best for some target work but consistency is not sustainable. Lot numbers mean nothing unless subscribing to higher priced European brands.
Testing ammo is inconsequential when case lots are not available. Buying a brick at a time may be false economy.
The array of ammunition in the picture posted shows a mix of products that includes lead and copper clad.
Cleaning before each test puts everything on the same field. First round from a clean barrel and including that group in your analysis remains important. One box will produce ten 5-shot groups. This a procedure I follow when a case is still available after the testing. Otherwise every shot fired under different conditions remains a single shot test unable to produce end results.
At the opposite end of the scale, load magazines with five or ten rounds of everything shown in the photo and see if the results are acceptable!
Old 06-30-2020, 11:36 AM
Norwegianrimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go for ammo from:

Eley
Lapua
RWS
SK

The cheap stuff from they are ok, but get the little more expensive for real good ammo.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:42 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome Aboard RFC NJjr. Ammo getting a little scarce these days. So... Don't underestimate 'cheap' plinking ammo for general purpose shooting. For example, I seem to always find Aguila in-stock at the LGS for about $2.95/box. Not what I'd take to a match, but not bad for general shooting. As you know, these rimfires are pretty picky with regards to preferred ammo. Shop around, try what you can find, and then you will get an idea as to what ammo your rifle(s) prefer. Have fun with it...don't stress too much over testing 'higher end' ammo unless you're really into competition. Having said that, I buy the Aguila for general shooting, but have my preferences for other more expensive ammo when shooting the monthly RFC matches or when really trying to shoot 'one-hole' groups.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:20 PM
Njjr
National Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGret View Post
Welcome Aboard RFC NJjr. Ammo getting a little scarce these days. So... Don't underestimate 'cheap' plinking ammo for general purpose shooting. For example, I seem to always find Aguila in-stock at the LGS for about $2.95/box. Not what I'd take to a match, but not bad for general shooting. As you know, these rimfires are pretty picky with regards to preferred ammo. Shop around, try what you can find, and then you will get an idea as to what ammo your rifle(s) prefer. Have fun with it...don't stress too much over testing 'higher end' ammo unless you're really into competition. Having said that, I buy the Aguila for general shooting, but have my preferences for other more expensive ammo when shooting the monthly RFC matches or when really trying to shoot 'one-hole' groups.
Most of my rifles are ones I had built from components I personally picked out. I try to always buy the best I can because I just like the smallest groups possible. I hand load and that is a challenge in itself. You are always trying to improve.

I have on order one box of various different bullets and the cost varies from $5.00 to $27.00 for 50 rounds. My intend is to find the best grouping ammo I can. After that I will find it hard to deviate from that. I can't make myself settle for something that gives me less than the best. It is costly, but at my age, if I don't spend it now, my rug rats will get it. They don't need it. Shooting is a passion for me. Too old for sex and I don't drink.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:14 AM
eggplant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
You want to try something challenging, right?
Don't shoot groups. If you want to improve y'er skills faster,
don't shoot for group size, shoot for score, one dot, one shot.
It will force you to shift position for every shot.
Teach you how to hit what you aim at and show you which cartridges get the job done, consistently.
You'll figure out real fast, it ain't brand, it's cartridge quality y'er looking for.
Plenty of free targets available to download and print to keep it interesting.

Here's a link to a collection to start with...

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...HZFTzFZUi1VZG8

Really, there are ONLY four or five brands you need concern yourself with in ammo. They have all been mentioned already and can be had at many places all together. It will save you a lot of time and headaches, but not money.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:09 AM
sof
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have never run across a CZ that didn't shoot RWS R50 very very well.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:32 AM
KeisiMekaigo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI SV, Eley CONTACT, Eley SSHP, ELEY HVHP, RWS SSHP,... for training, plincking, etc,..
Eley Match, Lapua Center-X, RWS R-50, for target.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:52 PM
Speedo2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SK Flat Nose Match shoots nearly as well as Lapua Center-X in my 452 Style at a much better price.

I'll use SK Magazine for plinking; it seems to do a little better than CCI SV in that rifle. However, all 22 rifles are individuals and seem to have their own preferences. Good luck with your search for that "perfect" ammo and rifle combination. You're on a slippery slope, but one that's a whole lotta fun. -S2
Old 07-02-2020, 07:25 PM
smellone2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If money is no object. Then call Lapua in Arizona and set up a date that you can send your rifle to them. They will test all of the Ammo they have in stock in your rifle to see what shoots best. They will send you the results. You can then choose the Ammo that shoots the best, and buy it from there.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:18 AM
oldshot50

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Welcome! Lapua also has a test center in Marengo, Ohio now if that is closer to you. You mention that cost is not a concern for you. Perhaps your search (and quest for ultimate accuracy) should start at the top with Lapua XAct, Midas+, Eley Tenex and RWS R-50. All are recognized as top grade ammo as reflected in their price. If you find one of those to meet your accuracy criteria, buy all of it (meaning that specific lot number) that is available. Then, if you want something for general entertainment shooting, buy lesser grades in the brands. Only wish cost was not a consideration for me. Good luck and just enjoy the trigger time.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:21 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Choosing the right ammo is a lot like choosing the right wife. Better to try a number of boxes and picking the best one instead of buying the whole case and hoping it works out. In both instances, the testing can be fun!
Old 07-03-2020, 09:25 AM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best bang for your buck ammo that is consistently accurate is SK Pistol Match.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:30 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKE1022 View Post
Best bang for your buck ammo that is consistently accurate is SK Pistol Match.
I wonder if the pistol ammo is loaded with a faster powder resulting in more efficient and complete powder burn in a rifle?