Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:23 PM
GuitarmanNick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anschutz Age

Trying to find out about a rifle that a friend has for sale. I have been given the opportunity to shoot it when I can find the time and let him know if I am interested.

It is a Model 54 Super Match with a serial number in the 23Ks.There are no letters that would indicate a year of manufacture based upon the research I have done. He says it was made sometime in the 60's, but not really sure.

It has the custom hard case, wooden front hand piece, rear pad and weird looking brace. Currently has a very basic adjustable scope mounted on it, but has the original rear sight with both apertures and a large selection of front apertures. It also has a second trigger assembly.

The blueing is 99% and the wood is very good with only a few minor marks but no scratches or damage. Absolutely no rust and pristine 27-1/2" barrel. Hasn't been fired in 25 years which is why he is selling it.

Any input on if it is worth the $1500 asking price would also be appreciated. Seen some that were advertised for more and some for less, but not sure what they actually sold for. The lower priced rifles did not have the custom case or spare trigger. Some or the higher priced rifles were not as nicely preserved.

There are a few other parts in the case, but nothing that is notable.

Seeking guidance from those with knowledge of these fine rifles.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:40 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Without photos its very hard to answer your question.

You say no letters to indicate a date, does it by chance have a two digit number, this would/could indicate the date of manufacture.

1,500 is a lot of cash, if I was the potential purchaser, I would insist on shooting it first using Eley Ten-X, Match, Lapua Midas+ & RWS R50 & Special match.

Not being smart, but would you drive a new car before purchasing it.

Don't forget to haggle, cash is king.

Giz
Old 06-29-2020, 04:14 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
An Anschutz Match 54 with a serial number 23xxx (five digits in all) would be probably made in 1960, perhaps 1961. It would have a barrel with a slight taper and a bolt with a single claw extractor (which isn't necessarily a problem). It will have dovetails on the rear half of the receiver only (the front half was dovetailed after 1964).

Below is a newer rifle (by a year or two). Is it similar?

The price tag of $1500 may not be too steep if it's in very good condition and comes with all the accoutrements, including sights -- assuming of course that you want all those things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 04:34 PM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The "weird looking brace" would either the the palmrest or a hook butt. The palmrest is the gadget under the front of the stock in the helpful photo above; it's used to raise the rifle when shooting standing in an elbow-on-hip stance. The hook butt (directly below the trigger in Penage Guy's photo) goes under the armpit to secure the rifle.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
99% (55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo60 View Post
Without photos its very hard to answer your question.

You say no letters to indicate a date, does it by chance have a two digit number, this would/could indicate the date of manufacture.

1,500 is a lot of cash, if I was the potential purchaser, I would insist on shooting it first using Eley Ten-X, Match, Lapua Midas+ & RWS R50 & Special match.

Not being smart, but would you drive a new car before purchasing it.

Don't forget to haggle, cash is king.

Giz
Too early for a two digit date code.
With a friend, you don't haggle. You either pay the price or pass.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:16 PM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
Too early for a two digit date code.
With a friend, you don't haggle. You either pay the price or pass.
I always liked your style, you just reconfirmed it.

As to the remark that cash is king: money is without taste and is quite boring, guns aren't. Two rear sight apertures add to the value and an additional trigger alone can easily add $100 to 275 to the value.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:24 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
...........With a friend, you don't haggle. You either pay the price or pass.
Totally Agree Camster, but, there are friends and then there are friends who will give you a good deal so no haggling.

A little bit of friendly haggling is also good for the soul, and the pocket.

Keep safe.

Giz
Old 06-29-2020, 08:18 PM
GuitarmanNick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
An Anschutz Match 54 with a serial number 23xxx (five digits in all) would be probably made in 1960, perhaps 1961. It would have a barrel with a slight taper and a bolt with a single claw extractor (which isn't necessarily a problem). It will have dovetails on the rear half of the receiver only (the front half was dovetailed after 1964).

Below is a newer rifle (by a year or two). Is it similar?

The price tag of $1500 may not be too steep if it's in very good condition and comes with all the accoutrements, including sights -- assuming of course that you want all those things.
This is the rifle as you have described with the palm rest and hook butt. No leather items are with it. It has a different front sight hood that is much longer and allows you to change the aperture.

No two digit date code either.

Gun appears to have been fired very little. Even the bolt face is pretty!

Last edited by GuitarmanNick; 06-29-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:05 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As there is no date code on the barrel, I'd agree with the suggestions of 1960-61. Low use is good, although if it has sat in storage for decades, I'd be inclined to check for rust underneath the action.

Just for clarification, the rifle in the photo doesn't have any sights mounted. The lumps on the barrel are just mounting blocks: the rear two are for a Unertl-type 'scope. That said an Anschutz foresight tunnel is a little over 1in long. A longer tunnel could be a Redfield, a Freeland, Womack, Tucker etc.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:35 AM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The second trigger mentioned could be the highly sought after International set trigger, they are getting expensive, and even the lesser "hair" triggers are expensive and may make the deal. I agree that a few hours at the range is a great idea. Pay attention to how the scope is mounted too,as mentioned these were not grooved ahead of the loading port. I say bite unless you find a red flag, and I am guessing 1961,very early for these, great fit and finish, and not going to see another at the range.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 06:10 PM
GuitarmanNick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just took a good look at the second trigger and it looks like the "hair" trigger assembly with a straight knurled trigger piece.

Found another post on this forum with a picture of it.

The trigger that is in the gun is very light and single stage.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:41 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarmanNick View Post
Just took a good look at the second trigger and it looks like the "hair" trigger assembly with a straight knurled trigger piece.

Found another post on this forum with a picture of it.

The trigger that is in the gun is very light and single stage.
Some may say that they think you paid too much if you pull the trigger at 1500,but I won't be one of them, it is the ultimate .22 then. Now there are customs that will outshoot it,but look at the cost of those, or a new Anschutz, and you are paying half or less and getting good value. If your recreational shooting fits this rifle, then it's a no brainer buy.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
CoolJJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have an Anschutz 54 Super Match with a date code of '61 and the serial is 274xx. That would put the rifle you're looking at around maybe '59 or '60.

The price is a fair deal considering the condition you describe.

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
GuitarmanNick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the information gents. Very nice looking rifle there, CoolJJ.

Planning a trip to the range this Sunday.