Savage 64 fiber obtic sights and upgrades. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:07 PM
thelastman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage 64 fiber obtic sights and upgrades.

Hey all im upgrading my savage 64 my first 22 rifle. Im getting a Boyds tacticool stock and my do some trigger work. But my main question is i want some fiber optic sights but i can find any solid info. I was looking at the Hiviz UNI2006 rear sight but i dont know its height. Can anyone help me find some sights?
Old 03-27-2016, 07:43 PM
3JExplorer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
make sure to post pics of the new stock.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:21 PM
thelastman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. I already got a rail setup for a red dot or green dot. Im going to thread the barrel for a flash hider. I want some fiber optic iron sights incase i take the red dot off plus my original sights have worn loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 08:12 PM
aRBy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastman View Post
Hey all im upgrading my savage 64 my first 22 rifle. Im getting a Boyds tacticool stock and my do some trigger work. But my main question is i want some fiber optic sights but i can find any solid info. I was looking at the Hiviz UNI2006 rear sight but i dont know its height. Can anyone help me find some sights?
I'm interested in the Savage 64. How do you like yours?

Above all, how does it compare to a Ruger 10/22?
Old 04-05-2016, 06:35 PM
thelastman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Overall i love my savage 64. Ive only shot a 10/22 once so i cant an accurate rating. Now i bought my savage 64 at wally world for $127 with tax. Now there are very few aftermarket stuff for the 64 when compared to the 10/22 but there is stuff out there. Ive had a few ftf but it was ammo and same for a couple feeding issues once again ammo was the issue
Old 04-05-2016, 07:23 PM
SixShooterFan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastman View Post
Welcome to the Savage 64 Club.

For upgrades, check out DIP
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8858

For fiber optic sites, you have two options.

1) Contact Savage and purchase the fiber optic sites that come with the 64 FSS
2) Purchase the Savage Mark II Tech-Sights. You want the rear base. EXPENSIVE I know. Another option is a weaver base like this http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Base-To...2+scope+mounts

But you will need to experiment with height.

Once you have worked out the base, call Williams http://www.williamsgunsight.com/guns...nstruction.htm

They are very nice and very helpful and will work with you to get a nice set of sites. You can start by calling them first and they may be able to help with the base. The fiber optic sights on the 64 FSS are from them.

Hope that helps. Unlike the 10/22, the less loved 64 will require some extra effort and patience to modify but not impossible. If you search for my username on this forum you can find my Project 64. Still love it even if nobody else does.

Good Luck
Old 04-05-2016, 09:13 PM
thelastman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Huzzah! Another 64 lover. Thanks i will check williams and see. But yes there is very little love for the 64. I also decided to get a trigger kit for it to.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:40 AM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm looking to upgrade my sights to I can't believe how accurate and how reliable this little gun really is with a little love and care is guns a charm

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 08:29 AM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Williams fiber optic sights for a 10/22 will work on just about anything with standard 3/8" dovetails. Might need a little fitting.

Are the 64 sights in dovetails?

I have them on a Savage Rascal, although I had to cut a rear dovetail.

Thinking about putting them on one of my Mark II's.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:29 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Mods for Sav-64

Hi Lastman - Hope you're doing well with your 64. I've had one for about 5 years and been thru lots of mods. There are some on YT, but some are pretty lame. Like the 'matchstick mod' for magazine adjustment. You'll need to address this issue someday as the mags are 'pot-metal' alloy and wear a lot. I've used JB weld to fix the 'stop' on the back side. Also a bit of light filing/polishing to improve feeding. I now have 6 and all have these mods.
I also have other posts about the 64 describing mods that can be done. The most recent is at : http s://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197177 This has pics of the mods I've done. The trigger release spring mod takes over 1# off the trigger pull by itself !
You can search my name for other posts about the 64.
There are lots of posts about 64s on Savage shooters. com, and there is a way to find all of them on that site. Here is a link with the instructions to pull them up :
https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...01-64F-Jamming - See Post #3
I found some of the posts were unjustified complaints, some by people that can't DIY things. But there are many posts with good advice. I agree that the MCarbo spring kit is a good deal since the sear spring is a complex folded coil, but the trigger release is best replaced with a bit of a ball-pen spring- see my other posts.
Below are pics of my 64 and a pic of the polished bolt and polished sear, polished with 800G wet/dry paper:

BTW, here's Sixshooterfan's Project link :
http s://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497497

Best wishes for your projects,
ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage w-3-9 scope-2 Dec 2018 cropped.jpg (342.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Sav-64 polished bolt.jpg (497.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Sav-64 Sear w-Pin.jpg (484.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Sav-64 Sear Release Edge 9-03-19.jpg (483.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-30-2020, 01:22 PM
tlhodgson
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Welcome!

Sixshooterfan pretty much covered it as did Fasteddie.

The Williams Gunsight people are the folks to deal with. You will almost certainly need to get a taller front sight if you go with their WGRS series.

They have a newer WDOS series that fits in the same dovetail mounts as your current sight. That's what I would go with, and you preserve the rail cut on the receiver for some sort of optic.

Someone also mentioned DIP. I have recently installed their picatinny rail, charging handle and mag release. I highly recommend all of those accessories. Especially the mag release.

These are great little rifles, and really under-rated.