Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:51 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Thoughts on Kel-Tec PMR-30's

What are the forums thoughts on the Kel-Tec PMR-30? These have intrigued me since they first came out. I remember there were some problems with them when they first came out. I am thinking of getting rid of a S&W 351C and buying a PMR-30.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:07 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Follow directions on loading them and my two at least and my CMR-30 work very well.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:02 AM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
What are the forums thoughts on the Kel-Tec PMR-30? These have intrigued me since they first came out. I remember there were some problems with them when they first came out. I am thinking of getting rid of a S&W 351C and buying a PMR-30.
I like mine. I bought one last year with a specific purpose in mind, and it has worked very well for me. I am careful when loading the magazines to capacity and follow the recommendations for ammo and have had only one failure to fire out of a little more than 600 rounds. The round that failed to fire was subsequently fired in a rifle, so I think it was an issue with manufacture of the ammo.

It is not anywhere near the most accurate rimfire pistol I own, but for the purpose I bought it for, is more than accurate enough.

I would recommend you not buy one on the used market, but look for a new one with the later serial numbers. That way you will take advantage of the improvements and tweaks that Kel Tec made. Also, don't go into this thinking you will put a can on the muzzle. The operating system that Kel Tec designed does not lend itself to suppressors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2020, 07:15 PM
Booner1334
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one and the firing pin broke around 600 rounds. They sent me one with no questions asked and I noticed that the replacement as a new design. It's not as accurate as I hoped it would be so I purchased the after market barrel. I'm not sure if the new barrel improved the accuracy much. If you stick a bore scope into the barrel you'll see the way they cut the chamber/lead area leaves much to be desired. On both barrels it's not square, meaning the chamber isn't cut square to the rifling. If the pistol was more accurate, I'd be thrilled.
I also purchased the carbine at the same time, and I haven't one complaint, a minor one. The way the butt pad is made feels like it wants to slide off my shoulder when I shoot. I fixed that with some Southern Engineering.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:59 AM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a PMR along with a CMR. Most PMR's prefer high velocity 40 Gr to function properly. I had problems with the Speer Gold Dot 40Gr at 1050fps, they would not always eject. I also tried some CCI Maxi Max 30gr but had failure to feed issues. The CCI maxi Mag 40gr bullets have worked flawlessly for me in the PMR. I have only shot the CCI Maxi Mag 40gr in the CMR and no issued at all. Both pistol and rifle shoot the Maxi Mag 40gr accurately

I would stick with high velocity 40gr ammo of your choice for the PMR. It is also important to load the magazines correctly to prevent feeding issues.

I like my PMR and CMR. Having 4 30 round magazines that fit both a pistol and rifle is fun.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:19 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
These intrigued me when they first came out years ago. Initially, they had some bugs in them as somewhat expected with a new gun. Have been hearing better things about them lately. I fired a brand new one today right out of the box. I sort of lined up the rear sights, but mainly concentrated on the front high viz sight on a 4 inch bullseye at 15 yards. I fired three shots and all were in the bull. Later I fired 10 more shots and dropped one low. Decided I wanted one. Have been looking in the gun shops in the area (as far as 60 miles north), no one had any in stock. So along comes a friend of mine with her husband's new toys (he is laid up with a shoulder replacement), and in her range bag was the brand new PMR-30. I asked her where he got it and when. She said the other day before his surgery and at a small local gun shop that I usually do not go to. Went there and asked the clerk if they had any? He said not in the cases and he did not think any were in the back. Any older salesman said yes we do and in five minutes he handed me one. Opened the box to see the color and said "I'll take it." Filled out the paperwork and gave him some Ben's. He said the background check may take a while due to the volume od sales, told him I understood. He was back in five minutes and said i had a "Golden Ticket", they had approved the sale. So within 30 minutes I was able to buy and get approved for the piece. Lucky, just lucky.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:57 AM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like mine very much, very reliable and I only load my magazine with 25 rounds which eliminates all ftf's . There are a couple of companies that make loaders for them which was really needed but I personally haven't gotten one yet.

As like any rimfire they have quirks and I find mine does not like hornady sd in 45 grain and lower bullets size in the 30 grains weights. Loves 40 grainers in cci, aguila,and really hates dynapoints. I'm ok with this as I only stock and buy cci and aguila brand only anyway.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:04 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
I like mine very much, very reliable and I only load my magazine with 25 rounds which eliminates all ftf's . There are a couple of companies that make loaders for them which was really needed but I personally haven't gotten one yet.

As like any rimfire they have quirks and I find mine does not like hornady sd in 45 grain and lower bullets size in the 30 grains weights. Loves 40 grainers in cci, aguila,and really hates dynapoints. I'm ok with this as I only stock and buy cci and aguila brand only anyway.
Thanks for the input.

Funny that the pistol does not like Dynapoints. Dynapoints were suggested by the manufacturer for the AutoMag II, back in the day. I remember buying them for my AutoMag II.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:20 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Actually AMT states Winchester Super X be used in their Automag II. They only tested at factory with such and it has to do with the "ball" powder not clogging their "gas system" built into the barrel to chamber. Not sure if what powder was/is in dynapoints but AMT had it printed in the manual and inside the box on lid to use Winchester Super X for their Automag II.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:37 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Automag View Post
Actually AMT states Winchester Super X be used in their Automag II. They only tested at factory with such and it has to do with the "ball" powder not clogging their "gas system" built into the barrel to chamber. Not sure if what powder was/is in dynapoints but AMT had it printed in the manual and inside the box on lid to use Winchester Super X for their Automag II.
Sorry, I knew it was something that Winchester made was recommended by the manfacturer. I do remember using Dynapoints in my AutoMag II. I also remember that I was not overly impressed with the accuracy, and that is why I did not keep it very long. Once I have shot this Kel-Tec, I may feel the same and it will be gone also.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:24 AM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like I said in my earlier post, I have had the best luck with CCI 40Gr Maxi Mags as far as functioning and accuracy.

The first thing I did with both the PMR and CMR was to load all the magazines with 30 rounds and let them sit for a couple of days before going to the range.

The Speer Gold Dots (1050fps) and the 30Gr CCI Maxi Mags definitely caused issues with my PMR.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:28 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
Like I said in my earlier post, I have had the best luck with CCI 40Gr Maxi Mags as far as functioning and accuracy.

The first thing I did with both the PMR and CMR was to load all the magazines with 30 rounds and let them sit for a couple of days before going to the range.

The Speer Gold Dots (1050fps) and the 30Gr CCI Maxi Mags definitely caused issues with my PMR.
Just got back from the gun shop. Bought four boxes of Winchester Super-X 40 grain and a box of CCI Maxi-Mag. 40 grain to try on my next range detail for handguns (Friday). Picked up two more boxes later this afternoon. All the boxes cost me $10.00 a box out the door.

Last edited by usmc69; 06-30-2020 at 08:16 PM.