Ruger .22 pistol in Green - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-24-2020, 01:46 PM
Wayne02

Join Date: 
Jun 2007
Posts: 
59
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger .22 pistol in Green



Log in to see fewer ads
I would like to assess the viability of putting together a Green .22 Ruger pistol for my wife. Preferably not OD green, but something brighter. I have a IV Lite in gold that shoots pretty well.

I want to purchase the upper receiver soon as they transfer as 'other' until the new WA laws take effect July 1st. I'm not interested in purchasing a complete pistol. Prefer to purchase a complete upper assembly, but if not I suppose I could piece an upper together.

Then can purchase the lower and assemble.

MK IV Lite (or non-lite if there is such a thing) upper receiver in green? And is there a corresponding lower that's available in green as well?

If no lower, may just need to go with a green upper.
I don't have a budget figure in mind yet, but would like to check availability first.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-24-2020, 02:10 PM
Theo98's Avatar
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2013
Location: 
S.E. La, USA
Posts: 
826
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne02 View Post
I would like to assess the viability of putting together a Green .22 Ruger pistol for my wife. Preferably not OD green, but something brighter. I have a IV Lite in gold that shoots pretty well.

I want to purchase the upper receiver soon as they transfer as 'other' until the new WA laws take effect July 1st. I'm not interested in purchasing a complete pistol. Prefer to purchase a complete upper assembly, but if not I suppose I could piece an upper together.

Then can purchase the lower and assemble.

MK IV Lite (or non-lite if there is such a thing) upper receiver in green? And is there a corresponding lower that's available in green as well?

If no lower, may just need to go with a green upper.
I don't have a budget figure in mind yet, but would like to check availability first.

Thanks
Wayne,

Wirthwein Guns just started selling new Green Tac-Sol Pac Lite MkIV uppers. Good selection of lengths and styles...scroll down to the bottom quarter of the page HERE!

Hope this was what you're looking for!

Ted
__________________
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-24-2020, 04:04 PM
Bama22

Join Date: 
Feb 2018
Posts: 
25
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Wayne,

Wirthwein Guns just started selling new Green Tac-Sol Pac Lite MkIV uppers. Good selection of lengths and styles...scroll down to the bottom quarter of the page HERE!

Hope this was what you're looking for!

Ted

Wow that’s some nice barrels.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 04-24-2020, 05:36 PM
Wayne02

Join Date: 
Jun 2007
Posts: 
59
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Ted. I got one of those ordered.
Now on too the frame.

Wayne
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-15-2020, 05:08 PM
Wayne02

Join Date: 
Jun 2007
Posts: 
59
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is the one I ordered. Mark IV 4 TacSol Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite 4.5" Upper Fluted Laser Green 1/2"x28 threads.
https://store.wirthweinguns.com/Prod...=TS-PLIV-4F-LG
Also ordered and received a compensator in the same laser green. And a set of green grips.
The upper is at my FFL, just need to get over there to pick it up.

I was surprised/pleased to find the upper that was not just OD green. I think my wife will be happy with the laser green gun once I get it put together.

I kind of jumped into this project without my usual research. I had Assumed the lower grip frame was easily sourced via Ruger. You know what they say about Assuming things. I did also look at gun broker, ebay, and eabco.

Anyway, I put my name on the wait list for the take-off Mark IV 22/45 lower grip frame at Wirthwein to be notified when they come in stock.

In the meantime I think I will proceed with completing my wifes gun by using the lower grip frame off my un-fired Mark IV 22/45 lite, and then replace that grip frame when some come in stock, or worse case scenario buy may have to cough up the big bucks and buy a complete volquartsen frame.

I will post a picture here when I finally get it assembled.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2020, 11:15 AM
Wayne02

Join Date: 
Jun 2007
Posts: 
59
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay, here it is. I think my wife will be happy with it. Should be plenty 'Green'.
Thanks to all who have provided input on this endeavor!

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-19-2020, 11:41 AM
Theo98's Avatar
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2013
Location: 
S.E. La, USA
Posts: 
826
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne02 View Post
Okay, here it is. I think my wife will be happy with it. Should be plenty 'Green'.
Thanks to all who have provided input on this endeavor!

Looks Really Great, Wayne! Bet she'll love it, while also making her friends "Green" with Envy!!!

Ted
__________________
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!

Last edited by Theo98; 06-19-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-19-2020, 02:50 PM
Captdave221
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2019
Location: 
Belleville, Il.
Posts: 
89
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Daughter.....

Would like that only in “Barney” purple lol!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-19-2020, 03:03 PM
Wayne02

Join Date: 
Jun 2007
Posts: 
59
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the kind words, Ted. I know the bright neon color is not everybody's cup of tea, but when she was wanting a new gun one of the directives was, "anything but plain black". Her G17 bedside gun and her LCP are black. So when she wanted a new carry gun we got her the G43 with the Blue frame.

Now I seek the forums advice on where I go from here with this ruger/tacsol pistol.

I think it would be a good idea for me to run some rounds through it before giving it to her. My concern is her getting discouraged if there are a number of problems the first time out. My plan is to lube it with one shot and take it to the range to see how it works. I have plenty of CCI mini-mag ammo on hand if that's the best thing to start with?

Reading through the forum I see things like mag tuneup, mag base plate sanding, accurizing kits, ejectors, firing pins, mags sitting too low, aftermarket mag catch/release etc.

I guess the disciplined way to approach this is for me to lube it, and take the stock gun to the range and see what happens.... that would follow the 'establish a baseline before making changes' thought process.

Or, I could make some known changes based on forum knowledge and make that my baseline, thinking that it would shorten the overall break-in/trouble shooting process.

If this was your gun, and based on what you have learned over the years, are there modifications you would make before ever leaving the house for the first range trip?

Thanks
Wayne
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-19-2020, 08:16 PM
Signalman's Avatar
Signalman is online now

Moderator
Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
On the Westside
Posts: 
11,888
TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
That really looks cool....it's really green

Signalman
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-19-2020, 10:25 PM
Theo98's Avatar
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2013
Location: 
S.E. La, USA
Posts: 
826
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne02 View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Ted. I know the bright neon color is not everybody's cup of tea, but when she was wanting a new gun one of the directives was, "anything but plain black". Her G17 bedside gun and her LCP are black. So when she wanted a new carry gun we got her the G43 with the Blue frame.

Now I seek the forums advice on where I go from here with this ruger/tacsol pistol.

I think it would be a good idea for me to run some rounds through it before giving it to her. My concern is her getting discouraged if there are a number of problems the first time out. My plan is to lube it with one shot and take it to the range to see how it works. I have plenty of CCI mini-mag ammo on hand if that's the best thing to start with?

Reading through the forum I see things like mag tuneup, mag base plate sanding, accurizing kits, ejectors, firing pins, mags sitting too low, aftermarket mag catch/release etc.

I guess the disciplined way to approach this is for me to lube it, and take the stock gun to the range and see what happens.... that would follow the 'establish a baseline before making changes' thought process.

Or, I could make some known changes based on forum knowledge and make that my baseline, thinking that it would shorten the overall break-in/trouble shooting process.

If this was your gun, and based on what you have learned over the years, are there modifications you would make before ever leaving the house for the first range trip?

Thanks
Wayne
Wayne,

Well for Me, 2 summers ago I couldn't stand the long 5.75# pull of the 22/45 polymer action. I would have preferred to take it out from the box and start shooting it first to break in and get a feel for the action. However, I was on a mandated 10 weeks of "lite duty" due to Retina Eye Surgery (no possible range time). Since I was going mad crazy waiting, decided to spend some time and start accurizing the action. I wanted an under 2# pull for Target shooting, so before I even pulled the trigger on a live round, I got the action to 1.75# while dropping in AM parts and dry fire testing in my shop!!

My recommendation is to go out and shoot it first...unless You are on light duty and have all waking hours just watching the clock!

Your "Disciplined Approach" is a good plan!!

Ted
__________________
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-30-2020, 01:26 AM
Wayne02

Join Date: 
Jun 2007
Posts: 
59
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Ted, good info.

Something else I've been wondering about, is I have no shim/alignment washers to use with the compensator. They are on order but won't be here for another week.

I have some time off and wanted to take that gun to the range and get some rounds down it to make sure it's going to run well before turning it over to my wife.

I wonder if the group thinks it's ok to run the gun with compensator installed but no shim washers, or should I put the stock barrel cap back on there until the washers arrive?

Thanks
Wayne
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-30-2020, 07:34 AM
Theo98's Avatar
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2013
Location: 
S.E. La, USA
Posts: 
826
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne02 View Post
I wonder if the group thinks it's ok to run the gun with compensator installed but no shim washers, or should I put the stock barrel cap back on there until the washers arrive?

Thanks
Wayne
I'd run it just as per your pic!!

Ted
__________________
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-30-2020, 07:37 PM
Turtle1903 is online now

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Posts: 
1,031
TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Looks good how does it shoot
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-30-2020, 08:24 PM
Theo98's Avatar
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2013
Location: 
S.E. La, USA
Posts: 
826
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle1903 View Post
Looks good how does it shoot
Probably making the other range shooters "GREEN" with Envy!

Ted
__________________
"FREEDOM Is Not FREE"!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x