Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:56 PM
farscott
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Snubby Project

I have always tried to take advantage of opportunities to acquire good firearms and parts at great prices. Back in 2017, Volquartsen was transitioning from doing pistols around the Mark III to the then-new Mark IV. As such, the Volquartsen clearance page offered some nice deals on conversions done on Mark III pistols. I was able to add complete "Classic" conversions in both 4.5" and 6" trim.

But on the week of Thanksgiving of 2017, Volquartsen not only had a lot of pistols on the clearance page, they offered additional discounts. That is how I ended up with an upper from a Classic with a 3.5" barrel, a rear sight with tritium dots, and a plain black target front sight. I had no idea what I was going to do with it, and it sat in my safe until I was recovering from surgery this year.

From one of the forums, I had acquired a complete Mark II 22/45 lower with Volquartsen internals. That too was put away, awaiting inspiration. With all of the free time I had due to my surgical recovery combined with the restrictions from COVID-19, I decided to complete some of my projects. I found the 22/45 lower and remembered that I had the 3.5" Classic upper. I decided to mate those two pieces, hoping to end up with a short-barreled pistol that balanced well. I replaced the LCI with a blank plate as I did not have a spare Mark III bolt. I first used a VQ Competition Bolt and a VQ mainspring housing, but the balance was wrong The pistol did not feel good in the hand, the wobble zone was noticeable even with the short sight radius, and the offhand groups were nothing like groups with the longer barreled Classic pistols. So I set it aside for a bit.

Later I saw that VQ was selling brand-new Mark IV bolts on eBay for $40. So I decided to buy one for spare parts. But when it arrived, I remembered the 22/45 Classic and decided to swap the Mark IV bolt for the VQ bolt. That lighter bolt did the trick. The loss of the bolt material hanging over the hand changed the balance of the pistol just enough to change the way the pistol sits in the hand. The wobble zone got smaller and groups tightened. In short, it became a keeper.

So I have a pistol with a Mark II frame, a Mark III receiver, and a Mark IV bolt. And it is a shooter. I have been using old Winchester DynaPoints and the twenty-five yard groups, when I do my part, are less than two inches. That might be the best I can do with my old eyes and the short sight radius. But it is pretty good and the pistol carries well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snubbie_VQ_MK_III.jpg (504.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-20-2020, 10:45 PM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I like the 3.5 barrels they are fun guns out to twenty five yards and even beyond. I put together one myself. I used a 4.5 PacLite and shortened it to 3.5 added a Ruger white outlined rear blade and had SWG Gunsmith add the orange insert to the front sight. MKIII parts are the bolt and mainspring assembly. All this sits on top of a Volquartsen 1911 Target Frame. Great fun add quick on target.

75B9DB57-F954-4FCE-8921-CA075FCDCBBF.jpg
Old 06-21-2020, 07:29 AM
farscott
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I bet that is a really light pistol with the short Pac-Lite upper on a VQ alloy frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 10:13 PM
TwoFast4Me

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think you will know what i mean when i say this one of my favorite songs by Johnny Cash "one piece at a time". I have wanted to build one of those short barrel guys myself.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:20 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently acquired a threaded 3.5" Mark IV barrel/upper from the Volquartsen "Closeout" section to sit atop my Mark IV 22/45 Lite grip frame, for $140 shipped. I'm a stickler for details and they did a nice job on it:

It's not real short, but it's 2" shorter than it was originally - and I think it'll be a nice length to use with my suppressor, of course after it gets out of jail

Before ordering it I also looked into the Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite uppers, and even though they're lighter in weight and are available from numerous vendors in different colors, lengths, with and without fluting, etc., they didn't appear to be worth twice the cost...