Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:12 PM
pdugas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
17 BMag. Magazine Problem

Anybody out there having this problem with their BMag ? It fires and ejects fine but when I try to chamber the next round it will only work if I push up on the rear of the mag . I thought it was a bad mag so I called Savage and they sent me another one .... same program. I tried it outside of the stock also .... same problem. Seems as if there's too much play in the rear clip that holds the mag. in place. Nothing appears to be worn. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:13 PM
shoeminator

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No problems with mine. Make sure the lug is seated properly and the bolts are right.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2017, 07:15 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wood stock PD?
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2017, 08:14 AM
pdugas

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Yes wood stock. Boyd's Prairie Hunter.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:30 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Call savage. I did with same issue. They sent me new ones
Old 07-31-2017, 11:12 AM
pdugas

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I called Savage this morning and talked to a Customer Service Rep. She told me to send the rifle back. I told her I had changed the stock and had the barrel cut and threaded. I asked if they would still work on it. She put me on hold for a few minutes. When she got back on the phone she told me to put it back in the original stock. According to her there was a spring in the original stock that holds the mag in place. I check the original stock and can't find what she is talking about. Anybody out there have any idea what shes talking about ?
Old 08-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Ponyroper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think she should have said 'latch' instead of 'spring'. I put my action into a Boyd's thumbhole stock and the magazine was nearly impossible to latch into place. Took my Dremel and reamed out the magazine chamber and it was a bit better but never could get it to fit right. The magazine will latch easily if I have the bolt open but needs some convincing when its shut. Have to be very careful it latches as I have had the magazine drop out a couple of times when I wasn't careful about pushing it in deep enough. Finally took the Boyd's stock off and put the Savage stock back on because I just couldn't get acceptable accuracy with the Boyd's stock. It's not a tack driver with the Savage stock but it will do .5" groups at 100 yards where I had trouble getting better than 1.5" with the Boyd's stock. A knowlegable shooter may have been able to fix the problem with the Boyd's stock but I'm not one and I tend to take the easy way out.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:33 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
One thing that made mine better was
Old 08-01-2017, 05:45 PM
pdugas

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I put it back in the original stock and it feeds correctly every time . Now I have to try and figure out why it won't in the Boyd's stock .
Old 08-01-2017, 06:27 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reading some of your older posts where you had issues stripping out the rear threads, have you ever tried loosening the actions screws then just bringing them up snug at the most and see if your magazine will snap into place?

Often, I think a lot of the problems guys have, after switching stocks, is because they are getting the action screws way to tight. It's VERY easy to do and I used to get them WAYYYY over tight myself, until I bought an in.-lbs torque wrench and realized what I thought was "snug" was actually double+ the amount of torque they needed.

I've found 15-18 in.-lbs, using a torque wrench, is all they need and seem to shoot there best at.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:15 PM
pdugas

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I did try backing off on them . I didn't use a torque driver though.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:37 AM
ManOfTheNorth

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have Found an essay and low Cost fix for this just did it to mine today first without doing anything to the magazine or rifle themselves put your mag into the well and lightly tap on it in an up and down repeating motion you will hear a slight click meaning that there is space between the mag and the latch that holds is causing it to move down slightly making the piece that pulls the bullet on your bolt from the mag not make good enough contact to grab it every time mine would do this about one out of every five times and cost me a kill shot or two so what I did was took my magazine and applied a very thin layer of epoxy (bedding material) to the bottom side of the rope notch on both ends of the magazine (will post a picture of where to put it) this will close the gap between the notches and the latches and also lift it up (do not put it on the nottom side it will lower your magazine) this will set the bullet a fraction of an inch higher and allow your feeding mechanism on your bolt to make good contact you only need the slightest bit of material to lift it to where you need it anymore than that and your magazine won’t fit I did mine and no longer hear the clicking when I tap on the mag when it’s in the rifle anyone know how to attach pics on here?