Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-10-2021, 02:19 PM
Carbineguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rossi RS22 Revisited? (my review)

A few years ago, I picked up a Mossberg 702 for about $100. While it functioned fine and was reasonably accurate, I guess I just wasn't impressed. I found the clunky takedown annoying and while I loved that the open sights were fully-adjustable, I thought the big green and red fiber optic sight picture was too imprecise for target shooting. I think I got rid of it a few weeks later.

But for some reason, I recently came across a Rossi RS22 (basically the same rifle) and was interested. I noticed the same imprecise sights. But the stock looked great. I decided to take it home and I'm glad I did.

I took it apart for cleaning and while the takedown is of course the same as the 702, I guess I knew what to expect. Instead of being annoyed that the pins holding the trigger assembly to the receiver need to be tapped out, I gave the designer the benefit of the doubt, thinking that perhaps it allows for a tighter mechanism.

When I took her to the range, I was very impressed by her reliability and accuracy. I fired 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mags with NO malfunctions of any kind. Just for kicks, I then loaded up a mix of various leftovers I found in my bag, including Winchester, Wolf and Federal. The Rossi cycled all of them perfectly, including a few rounds on which my Marlin M60 had chewed and spit out with light primer strikes! For a rifle not yet broken in, that's great in my book.

While the sights are still not my favorite, I compensated somewhat by shooting some larger targets. I found that the sights were easily adjusted to sight in and that the rifle was very consistent. I suspect that the occasional poor shots were likely due to my difficulty in sticking to a sight picture and hold with the fiber optics.

I took her home and gave her a good cleaning. I noticed after just 110 rounds, the action was getting a bit gritty.

I am so satisfied, I immediately ordered Tech Sights and a spare mag for my new girl. My guess is, when I take her out with a good GI peep sight picture, she's gonna make nice, little clumps of holes on the bullseye.

On one hand, I asked myself "What's so good about this rifle? It's like a Brazilian Model 795 or something." But I realized there are actually some cool things about this inexpensive rifle that, in my opinion, might be superior to my beloved Marlins.

First, while the bolt looks familiar, a Model 60 fan will immediately notice the lack of a flimsy ejector wire. Instead, the RS22 uses a solid steel ejector, like the Model 795 and many other firearms.

Next to that ejector, I noticed the apparent guide rail that also seems to straddle the bolt as it does its business. That seems like a great idea. Between that and the more snug fit between the trigger assembly and receiver, I think it gives this rifle a more precise feel to the mechanism.

I think the stock on this rifle is much nicer than the equally-inexpensive stocks on the Marlins. It has an attractive shape to it. The patterns on the grip and forearm actually do provide some traction. And I love the long finger grooves up front.

This rifle has a free-floated barrel. I did the dollar bill test! Looking at this rifle and some of the others I mentioned, I don't see why the others can't do the same. It's obviously not a cost factor. Is it just lazy engineering versus a little ingenuity? I don't know, I'm not an engineer.

Finally, I find the simple, steel mags of the RS22 to be much nicer than those of the Marlin 795. While both work well enough, I found the Rossi easier to load and they just have a more solid feel to them. I also prefer the blue (or black) of the Rossi units, as opposed to the chrome look of the Marlin mags.

So there you go. I love my Model 60 and 795. But I think this bargain Rossi will be one of my favorites going forward!

Be well.

Here she is, "naked" while waiting for the new sights to arrive:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rossi 1.jpg (490.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-11-2021, 07:55 AM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Carbine guy.

I've been impressed with my RS so far as well. Overall a very solid rifle for the price.

Made a few improvements to mine, including adding some weights in the forend and grip, as well as a cheek riser and scope.

I've posted it elsewhere before, but here it is again -

Old 06-11-2021, 07:59 AM
Carbineguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice.

I'll have to post a pic once I get the Tech Sights and sling on her.

Last edited by Carbineguy; 06-11-2021 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Added data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2021, 08:38 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice review.

As you mentioned, the RS22 is very similar to the 702. IMO the main differences are: 1) the RS22 has a better stock, 2) a larger bolt handle, and 3) comes with sling studs.

In case you don't know about this thread, there is some good info on the 702 (which also applies to the RS22) here:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ight=plinkster

I used to have some Marlin 60's and 795's but sold them after buying the 702. I now have several 702's (all configured w/ different sights and stocks) as well as an RS22 (I bought it just to see how much it and the RS22 compare). IMO the Marlins have some desirable features, such as better LSHO, but the CBC's (702/RS22) are simpler, easier to work on (once you do the disassembly/reassembly a few times), and they cycle subsonics and other ammo more reliably.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:40 AM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
When the 702 first came out; back in about 2007ish; they were imported by Mossberg.

Mine has a wood stock and was a Black Friday item at Dicks in Cedar Rapids: Cost was $89 + tax.

May oldest daughter laid claim to it and still has it.

It was made in Brazil......... I guess it is the same rifle........??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PLINKSTER 2.jpg (456.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-11-2021, 01:38 PM
Carbineguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gorgeous stock!
Old 06-11-2021, 01:44 PM
Carbineguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh, almost forgot...

I've heard some say the trigger on their 702 or RS22 was terrible, creepy, heavy, etc.

That's another thing I like about this rifle. My trigger is excellent. It's consistent, relatively light, similar but perhaps a little better than that of my Marlins.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:16 PM
Carbineguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ah, that's more like it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rossi 3a.jpg (485.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-12-2021, 01:20 PM
cpoakes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Feel the same way - love both my Marlin 795 and Rossi RS22 rifles.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:15 PM
sammalone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbineguy View Post
Oh, almost forgot...

I've heard some say the trigger on their 702 or RS22 was terrible, creepy, heavy, etc.

That's another thing I like about this rifle. My trigger is excellent. It's consistent, relatively light, similar but perhaps a little better than that of my Marlins.
Mcarbo sells a spring for the 702, supposed to help the pull a lot. I'm sure it would work just fine on the Rossi. I've installed one on mine, no idea if it makes a difference or not. Haven't fired it yet, everything still in lockdown here due to covid.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:07 PM
Carbineguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lockdown in June 2021...?!

My sympathies. We started reopening one year ago, May 2020, and this week many businesses and churches have begun to lift mask requirements.

Be well and hang in there.
Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrat View Post
When the 702 first came out; back in about 2007ish; they were imported by Mossberg.

Mine has a wood stock and was a Black Friday item at Dicks in Cedar Rapids: Cost was $89 + tax.

May oldest daughter laid claim to it and still has it.

It was made in Brazil......... I guess it is the same rifle........??
I had no idea they ever made them with wood stocks. And it looks good too!

Carbineguy,

The trigger on mine was pretty gritty and creepy out of the box. It took some cleaning and polishing to get it decent. It still has a bit of travel, but not terrible. I did end up putting the Mcarbo trigger spring in it, and it helps a little.

It's a decent shooting little rifle.
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
sammalone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbineguy View Post
Lockdown in June 2021...?!

My sympathies. We started reopening one year ago, May 2020, and this week many businesses and churches have begun to lift mask requirements.

Be well and hang in there.

Thanks... one day it will all be over.

One more thing on the 702, in the Mossberg section of this forum, there is a sticky at the top of the page. "Mossberg Technical Support" One member bought a 702 and spent a lot of time doing modifications to the trigger group and sights on it. The spring was only one part of it. I'm sure most, if not all, could be transfered over to the Rossi. Good reading if you have an hour to spare.