Educate me on Fedderson - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:02 AM
presnewt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Educate me on Fedderson

I have recently joined the forum and have been researching CZ 457 models. I came across the Fedderson name on the 10/22 board and looked at their website. I know that bolt action rimfire should be more accurate that semi auto rimfire but is is practical to expect 1 moa results from a Fedderson barrel, bolt and receiver? I know the rational decision for accuracy is to get a bolt action but I am being pulled toward the 10/22 platform since I already have one with extra mags. Thanks for all your help. I not a competitive shooter, just a backyard plinker on steel targets but have gotten the itch to shoot a more precision type of setup and am really torn between the bolt action and 10/22 platform. FYI, I do not want to spend thousands of dollars on a rifle, the CZ 457 in the $500 price range is more in line with my budget.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:47 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Red face

Yes it is very possible to get a moa /sub moa 1022 set up.
And you dont need to spend a ton of money.

Federson makes excellent barrels. But so do a lot of companies. The benefit of a federson is that its a small company with the owners name on the door , and his pride in in his products makes the customer service outstanding, should you have a problem with a defective product. Needless to say this is very rare because of excellent QC.

Kidd is the same way. Excellent products and service.

But you pay extra for all of that.

Lots of other excellent barrels out there , that might not have such good customer service, but imho the likleyhood of needing that is minimal.

You alreadyhave a 1022, have you done all the diy mods you can probably just tweak it and get moa.

You can also use it as a donor rifle and use many/ most of the oem parts on a build.

Use the receiver, contrary to myth, an after market receiver only looks better they dont shoot better. Use the trigger, a kidd or VQ kit will be excellent, i like GM barrels,
About 1/2 the cost of Kidd or federson. Get a gunsmither block instead of a V block,
And a Hogue overmold stock. And for less than $400 youíll have a fine 1022.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:28 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by presnewt View Post
I have recently joined the forum and have been researching CZ 457 models. I came across the Fedderson name on the 10/22 board and looked at their website. I know that bolt action rimfire should be more accurate that semi auto rimfire but is is practical to expect 1 moa results from a Fedderson barrel, bolt and receiver? I know the rational decision for accuracy is to get a bolt action but I am being pulled toward the 10/22 platform since I already have one with extra mags. Thanks for all your help. I not a competitive shooter, just a backyard plinker on steel targets but have gotten the itch to shoot a more precision type of setup and am really torn between the bolt action and 10/22 platform. FYI, I do not want to spend thousands of dollars on a rifle, the CZ 457 in the $500 price range is more in line with my budget.
What many people discount... is the fact that it is FAR EASIER (in regards to technique) to shoot groups with a semi-auto than a bolt gun. With a bolt gun you need to do a full reset between shots. With a semi-auto, you just stay glued on the target in your current position without breaking a grip, hold, sight pattern, etc. You just keep squeezing the trigger uninterrupted. MUCH easier, technique wise to shoot small groups with a semi-auto.

Among amateur shooters, it's not at all uncommon for a 10/22 to whip up on bolt actions. But if you have a REALLY good bolt guy with a top notch weapon, you won't want to trade guns and see who wins. lol However, it is amazing just how accurate these blow back semi-autos can be with the right work. Mine have been worked over by CPC and leave me happy every trip to the range. With me at the wheel, my better CZ 452's and the CPC 10/22's are pretty much the same, accuracy wise with good ammo. I might even be better with the 10/22's.

Last edited by n2omike; 06-09-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2021, 11:49 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I have 3 Feddersen barrels on 10/22 style rifles and every one of them shoot better than moa out to 100 yards with the right ammo. I should add that all my Feddersen barrels are .920's and not tapered. Not to say their tapered barrels aren't accurate because from what I hear from people here they are. I just don't have any experience with them personally. My 3 Feddersen's shoot right with my Kidd's and tend to shoot better than them with lower end ammo.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:48 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two 16.5 standard taper. Bolt them up and shoot. I am more than satisfied, very accurate, and would recommend them to anyone.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:47 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
My feddersen barrel isnt my most accurate barrel, but it shoots high .2s/low .3s at 50y, and it does it with less expensive target grade ammo. it doesnt really shoot better with more expensive match stuff, but its not ammo picky. Ive recently been using it in NRL 22 with good success if that gives you any indication.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:35 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have a CZ 455 American and a 10/22 with Feddersen barrel. The CZ is absolutely stock except for a $1 trigger upgrade. I have 2-3 times the cost of the CZ in the 10/22 although it could have been done for less.

I shoot rimfire silhouette matches. Those are shot offhand (i.e. standing up, no support) and the 10/22 works better for me. Off a rest, they shoot about the same but the CZ was that good right out of the box.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:06 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Factory barrel are always luck of the draw. I have some factory cz barrels that don't shoot as well as some factory ruger barrels. I have had some not so great ruger barrels as well, but I do have a couple of 452s and a 455 training rifle that shoot the lights out. My 455 varmint barrel and one of my 455 sporter barrels are only good for MOA
Old 06-11-2021, 12:51 PM
justin87

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I cant comment on Fedderson barrels. But with my latest 10/22 build, i used a Kidd 20 inch SS barrel, Kidd Bolt and Trigger Kit, OEM Ruger receiver. And as much as i hate to say it, that 10/22 shoots just as well as my CZ 457 American and MTR. I do think there is an advantage to keeping your head in the scope on an Autoloader though and perhaps thats giving the 10/22 an edge vs. the CZ's.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:59 PM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin87 View Post
And as much as i hate to say it, that 10/22 shoots just as well as my CZ 457 American and MTR. I do think there is an advantage to keeping your head in the scope on an Autoloader though and perhaps thats giving the 10/22 an edge vs. the CZ's.
To be scientific about it, a few of those benchrest targets with the 25 small individual targets. The ones you can get a total max score of 250 (10 points per target) along with how many X's... such as 248-12X. Shooting those targets with both guns would be interesting, as you would be forced to reset between shots with both guns.

Last edited by n2omike; 06-11-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:29 PM
copterdrvr
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
18 inch Fed barrel with a Kidd trigger assembly and bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3099.jpg (358.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-11-2021, 08:35 PM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by copterdrvr View Post
18 inch Fed barrel with a Kidd trigger assembly and bolt.

nuf said... good shootin by the way. what kind of rest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2021, 08:43 PM
copterdrvr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks!

Concrete shooting bench, Harris bipod, Protektor leather rabbit ear rear bag.

Club I belong to has excellent facilities out to 325 yards with all lines being covered.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:03 PM
copterdrvr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I know thereís been discussion over the years regarding barrel fluting and threading having an effect on accuracy and my barrel is BOTH threaded and fluted.

The one thing I did was blue Loctited the thread protector on as I donít attach anything to the barrel.,,
Old 06-12-2021, 01:50 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by copterdrvr View Post
I know there’s been discussion over the years regarding barrel fluting and threading having an effect on accuracy and my barrel is BOTH threaded and fluted
I have well over a dozen custom 10/22 style rifles. I have 6 Kidd barrels, 3 Feddersen, and a few others. My most accurate of all my 10/22's has a Feddersen fluted & threaded barrel.