Citristrip on receiver? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:14 PM
X-Raycer
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I noticed some paint chipping around the ejection port on my new charger and wanted to do something about it.

I bought a quart of Lacquer Thinner and have a Mason Jar. I'm waiting for the weather to dry out and get a little warmer. Then I'm going to try removing the paint outdoors.
From my experience with it, I believe that the Lacquer Thinner will eat the paint ringt off.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:42 PM
izhm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's a shame Ruger can use a better coating on their receivers .
Old 03-19-2021, 08:53 AM
Kfxguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsled View Post
Well, I guess they changed the formula on "aircraft" stripper because that is not making a dent in the paint either.

Guess I gotta hit up HD for some of them buffs. Of course they are out of stock at local store. Ugh.
Yes, they did. Its horribly weak now. sigh.

I used to use it to remove powder coat so i could re powder coat something or if I didnt like how a powder coat job came out.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:03 AM
Kfxguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsefly View Post
That looks like an anodized receiver to me. I've stripped back a couple of anodized receivers & they looked exactly like your pics. There is NO stripper on this earth that will cut anodization. There is only one grease that will get you there.........ELBOW GREASE! Lots of good sandpaper, lots of flat edged sanding blocks & a lot of patience & elbow grease.....

Once the anodized material is stripped............Check with Chaser on the polishing! My recommendation.. He's da' best!...Nun Bedda!
just fyi, greased lightning and castrol super clean will definably strip anodizing very easily. I've removed anodizing colors numerous times

here a little article on it

https://www.rccaraction.com/how-to-r...sitor_pref_pop
Old 03-19-2021, 12:03 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post
just fyi, greased lightning and castrol super clean will definably strip anodizing very easily. I've removed anodizing colors numerous times

here a little article on it

https://www.rccaraction.com/how-to-r...sitor_pref_pop
Supposedly EasyOff oven cleaner will as well.

HOWEVER I remember reading somewhere about a guy who knew a guy that applied EasyOff to their 10/22 receiver and it ate it up. Something about the 10/22 receiver alloy getting destroyed. So... there's that.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:06 PM
gomi_otaku

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Supposedly EasyOff oven cleaner will as well.

HOWEVER I remember reading somewhere about a guy who knew a guy that applied EasyOff to their 10/22 receiver and it ate it up. Something about the 10/22 receiver alloy getting destroyed. So... there's that.
Start Googling "Easy Off and..." and the first thing that comes up is ALUMINUM. Don't do it.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:40 PM
MG-70

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Couple pics after painting with VHT Caliper paint.

Want to do another bake cycle or two. The more bakes, the stronger this stuff gets.

FWIW I've painted a few items with this and it stands up incredibly well, including to cleaning solvents. Once, just to see if I could, I painted an AR15 muzzle brake with it and it was amazingly resilient. Even after brake cleaner pouring past it and a few hundred rounds of 223 blasting through it, it was still mostly painted. When I tried to strip it off with acetone there were many sections that simply would not come off.

Pretty good for $10 a can and minimal steps.
That looks great! I may try one of their matte or semi-gloss black on a surplus CZ75 I picked up a while ago. Many moons ago I tried one of the Brownells baked on enamels but, even after having followed the prep instructions, degreasing, etc. it chipped relatively easily. Maybe the paints have gotten better over time. I believe Walmart and/or PepBoys sells these VHT paints locally.

Good luck on your project!
Old 06-10-2021, 07:10 AM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Then I tried these on a Dremel... BINGO! 20-30 minutes and not much mess.. no stink.. very little clean up. Need approx. 2-3 of the buffs... Total $$ was about the same as Chem.
I use the as well. Polished receiver and metal trigger housing.

Last edited by mpolk; 06-10-2021 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:51 PM
MarkS20
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomi_otaku View Post
Start Googling "Easy Off and..." and the first thing that comes up is ALUMINUM. Don't do it.
My wife ruined one of her aluminum baking pans with Eazy Off.

-- Mark
Old 06-10-2021, 08:19 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (272)
I did a couple of mine glass bead-blasting -- outside and inside. Leaves a very nice "frosted" finish. You may find someone who has a cabinet or has access to a cabinet. I used my brother-in-law's.

Doug
Old 06-11-2021, 11:11 AM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, bead-blast is the way to do it.

Those beads work like dental prophylaxis and clean out every crevice.

I just take mine to the LGS (they do Cerakote) and pay $20---$5 to $10 is actually fine when the owner is not around, lol!