MK I or Standard ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:58 AM
Ruger-MKI
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MK I or Standard ?

I purchased a new Ruger semi auto (Bicentennial stamped) tapered barrel back in 1977 that till last last night I'd always just assumed had a 4" barrel because that is what the original hand written receipt says from the store in Wichita, Kan. but when measuring the barrel last night with the bolt closed and then running a cleaning rod down the bore till it touched the bolt face and then marking the cleaning rod where it met the end of the muzzle and measuring I came up with definite a 6" not 4".....srl. #13-75***.

Unlike my 67/8" heavy tapered barrel (also Bicentennial stamped) target model with the factory rear adjustable sight (srl. # 13-74***) that is plainly stamped MK I the 6" gun mentioned above is not stamped MK I yet they were both made about the same time because they are both Bicentennial stamped.

So would the 6" gun be considered a Standard model because it is not stamped MK I ?

Last edited by Ruger-MKI; 02-02-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:28 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, that is my understanding, that fixed sight models are standards and adjustable sight models were MKI Target models. Someone with more knowledge will correct me.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:35 AM
HIghstandardguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
No corrections needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2021, 09:41 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
In the beginning . . .

The first release of Ruger .22 autos had fixed sights and either 4-3/4" or 6" barrels.

A year or two later, when Ruger decided to get into the target pistol business, they issued the Mark I which had Micro adjustable rear sights and a heavy tapered 6-7/8" barrel. A 5-1/4 heavy tapered barrel (uncommon to rare) and a 5-1/2" bull barrel followed.

About '71 Ruger changed the design of the grip frame and magazine, but didn't change the model numbers. The stamping for the grip frame changed from part number A54 (not marked on the part but in the schematic) to A100.

When Ruger introduced the next major redesign they called all the pistols "Mark II", both fixed and adjustable sights. It's been that way ever since.

To recap, 1st generation pistols are either standard (RST) or Mark I, but not both. Be aware that most people, including Ruger, now call all pre-Mark II pistols "Mark I", regardless of marking.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:18 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
The first release of Ruger .22 autos had fixed sights and either 4-3/4" or 6" barrels.
Nice summary, but you forgot to mention that the earliest RST models (Oct '49-Feb '52) went thru 10 minor variations. The thing they all had in common were grips proudly displaying Red Eagles. These earliest mark pistols are most desirable among collectors.

The later production RST models all carried Black Eagles and the only variation was the grip frames, like you mentioned.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:07 PM
Ruger-MKI
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for the replies and education gents.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:23 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
. . . you forgot to mention . . .
I suspect you're correct, but I was trying to avoid filling his cup with the fire hose. I find the RST vs. Mark I discussion technically correct, but pretty much irrelevant.

I'd like to take this opportunity to republish this bit of fakery I created a few years back:

Old 02-03-2021, 08:27 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger-MKI View Post
So would the 6" gun be considered a Standard model because it is not stamped MK I ?
R-MkI,

Hello and Welcome to the RFC!

FWIW, Some additional Info:
If it is a 6" barrel and has a fixed rear sight, then it is called a "Standard" (1951-Current MkIV)! The Original 1949 4 3/4" was simply called "Ruger Pistol", or known to collectors as the "Red Eagle"! In 1951, the first MkI Target pistol came out (a 6 7/8" w/adjustable rear sight & target trigger) and the original Ruger Pistol designation was changed to the "Standard", a naming that has been carried through all these past 70 years for the fixed sight 4 3/4" and 6" pencil tapered barrels!

The 6" Standard version was not produced from the beginning, but first came out in 1952. Your 1975 Standard has the 72' upgraded grip screw pattern (the A100) which is still found in all the steel lowers through the current MkIV series!

Above details are from "Chad Hiddleson", author of the -Encyclopedia of Ruger- (thanks Chad)!!

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7797.JPG (340.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Theo98; 02-03-2021 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:37 PM
MMSIG229

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Nice summary, but you forgot to mention that the earliest RST models (Oct '49-Feb '52) went thru 10 minor variations. The thing they all had in common were grips proudly displaying Red Eagles. These earliest mark pistols are most desirable among collectors.

The later production RST models all carried Black Eagles and the only variation was the grip frames, like you mentioned.
Yes, the red eagle was changed to black after the death of Ruger's partner, Alex Sturm shortly after the founding of the company.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:45 PM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
The OP has an example of my Ruger grail pistol, a "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty" RST-6. That was a fine purchase in 1977. I was not old enough to buy one then and had access to my father's RST-6, so I missed the opportunity to buy one new. I am now looking to rectify that mistake.

The latest pistols may be easier to take apart and put back together, may be easier to mount optics, and may have better controls, but I like the old pistols where the only plastic is the grip panels. I do not miss the last round hold open feature found on the later pistols because the original guns made me count rounds enough that I do it with every pistol. I like the heel magazine release as the magazine is not launched from the pistol to collect mud, dust, grass or rocks from hitting the ground.

I find the original Standard pistols to be ideal for what I am looking for in a rimfire pistol. I have both A54 and A100 versions, and the 1964 A54 version is my favorite pistol. The only part mod I have made is to add a Volquartsen extended magazine release to make using Mark II and newer magazines easier. I have no idea of round count as I bought it used, but I have put untold thousands through it. I shot well over a brick in May alone.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:41 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with much of what farscott just said. I am old enough that I owned new examples of the original standard semi-auto and the MKI target model. I later settled on the MKII as being my favorite of the series as it had the automatic bolt lock on the last round and 10 round magazine, but still had the basic grip frame and receiver that I had become so used to and like so well.