Izhmash biathlon-7-2-KO, essential accuracy / precision? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:42 PM
tgt_usa
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Izhmash biathlon-7-2-KO, essential accuracy / precision?

How inherently accurate / precise are these Izhmash biathlon-7-2-KO rifles?

Asking in order to pick an appropriate 'scope for mine. Trying to get a scope >=20x mounted on my currently favorite rifle has been quite frustrating:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1210775

With a pretty much open budget, gunsmiths don't return my calls.
} -;

Today, with my son, moving around rifles in the safe, I came across an Izhmash biathlon-7-2-KO, already railed for a scope and new in the box. Bought in '11 or '12 for a plan that never came to fruition. By '21 I'd pretty well forgotten it was in there: I'd see the Cyrillic script on the box and conclude it was the carton for the CM-2 I'd used to work my son up on rifle in preparation for a safari. Had to move it today and told him: "This box isn't empty". Inside is a Izhmash biathlon-7-2-KO. Tried the trigger ... oh! my word! How much 'scope does it deserve?

TIA

Last edited by tgt_usa; 02-21-2021 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:40 PM
tgt_usa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Problem solved.

Today mounted a 4-16x50 scope on it and was shooting some very small groups at 100yds; this with the first load tried and 'way too wired on caffeine. Some tweaking of the scope; no caffeine; and trying a few other loads and I expect to be very impressed with this rifle.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:33 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
All of ours shoot as good as our better rimfires, they are worthy of as good a scope as you want to put on them. No, they aren't built for Benchrest but at our longrange rimfire matches they hold their own and for any type of timed/precision match they can't be beat.

They may have sold cheap back in the day but I'd pick mine as one of my favorite guns to shoot.

I have friends with Summits and there is no comparison, I just saw a Steyr today for the first time and even though they are similar to the Izhmash they aren't even in the same ballpark to the smoothness of the 7-2.

The scope rail that comes on them is a short version, an extended rail was available which makes positioning the scope better for eye relief and cheek placement But my buddy got the last available one and he didn't plan on making more.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 02-21-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2021, 01:23 PM
tgt_usa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topstrap44 View Post
All of ours shoot as good as our better rimfires, they are worthy of as good a scope as you want to put on them. No, they aren't built for Benchrest but at our longrange rimfire matches they hold their own and for any type of timed/precision match they can't be beat.

They may have sold cheap back in the day but I'd pick mine as one of my favorite guns to shoot.

I have friends with Summits and there is no comparison, I just saw a Steyr today for the first time and even though they are similar to the Izhmash they aren't even in the same ballpark to the smoothness of the 7-2.

The scope rail that comes on them is a short version, an extended rail was available which makes positioning the scope better for eye relief and cheek placement But my buddy got the last available one and he didn't plan on making more.

Topstrap
My main objective is one-shot, one-kill on small game at <=100yds. The quick, straight-throw action does have a great feel. Had never shot it before yesterday. And it’ll take a little work in order not to break my cheek-weld operating the action; but I believe it’ll be much easier to learn than that was with a conventional bolt handle.

First time out I was hitting or barely missing a 5/8” paster PoA at 100yds. This using good ammunition, Eley “Sport”; but even so I don’t expect to find a .22’s favorite ammo 1st try. And ‘way too much caffeine ... hadn’t expected to be shooting the rifle yet yesterday: ‘scoping it just went faster than expected.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:31 PM
Gobber
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Concur with Topstrap44’s observation on the other attempts to copy the 7-2’s toggle bolt. I too have handled an original Summit, the Steyr variant as well as the new Volquartsen version of the Summit. None of them come close to the smooth action of a broken in 7-2. As with any receiver, if you have a new 7-2, the action will improve significantly as it wears in.

I went a different route with mine as a suppressor host. As for the cheek weld, not wanting to pay for and then have to adapt a biathlon stock to the 7-2’s curved trigger, I just fabricated my own from carbon fiber. This gave me the fit I wanted in the grip, butt and cheek. It’s still pretty much a prototype so it ain’t pretty, but it fits me and my desires.

Does pretty good at 100 yds and both the stock and action are tough as nails.

As for a scope mount, highly recommend getting a full length picatinny rail for it. Makes proper scope mounting so much easier. A good smith should be able to radius a section of rail and add any MOA you might want. Just make sure they add the receiver stud holes for a good lockup. PM me if you want info on a good smith in the northern VA area.

If you’re going to scope it, another handy mod is to mill a slot on the bottom of the receiver that allows the bolt pin to be removed from the bottom. Makes cleaning much easier as you don’t have to remove the scope each time you pull the bolt.

Another nice item is an improved toggle handle shaped to engage trigger finger and thumb easier. Check with some of the Biathlon shops for an old 7-4 handle and you might get lucky. I think I got one of the last ones from Larsen a few years ago, but hopefully they got more in stock. A few on the forum here have made their own that look really nice.

Sorry to be all over the map but it’s always nice when someone realizes how much of a gem these rifles can be.

Last edited by Gobber; 02-26-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:40 AM
tgt_usa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ah ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobber View Post
Concur with Topstrap44’s observation on the other attempts to copy the 7-2’s toggle bolt. I too have handled an original Summit, the Steyr variant as well as the new Volquartsen version of the Summit. None of them come close to the smooth action of a broken in 7-2. As with any receiver, if you have a new 7-2, the action will improve significantly as it wears in.
As for a scope mount, highly recommend getting a full length picatinny rail for it. Makes proper scope mounting so much easier. A good smith should be able to radius a section of rail and add any MOA you might want. Just make sure they add the receiver stud holes for a good lockup. PM me if you want info on a good smith in the northern VA area.

If you’re going to scope it, another handy mod is to mill a slot on the bottom of the receiver that allows the bolt pin to be removed from the bottom. Makes cleaning much easier as you don’t have to remove the scope each time you pull the bolt.
Another nice item is an improved toggle handle shaped to engage trigger finger and thumb easier. Check with some of the Biathlon shops for an old 7-4 handle and you might get lucky. I think I got one of the last ones from Larsen a few years ago, but hopefully they got more in stock. A few on the forum here have made their own that look really nice.

Sorry to be all over the map but it’s always nice when someone realizes how much of a gem these rifles can be.
Great post! Thanks for all the tips, especially the slot on the receiver.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:50 PM
photoman12001
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I own both the PWS Summit and Izhmash. They aren’t even remotely in the same league. I easily earned a Rifleman patch at my first Appleseed with the Izhmash. The Summit is a fun suppressor host but mine is nowhere near as precise as the Izhmash.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:29 PM
tgt_usa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Zero’d

Yesterday morning, I zero’d the scope. The stock needs a bit more length yet ... I expect to have that done by Friday. Then if I am doing as well as yesterday, some photos.

What was clear: this rifle can take rabbit / squirrel head-shots at 100yds, given adequate sight alignment and trigger control. Still need to get more comfortable with the action. But it’s coming along ... four of six strings I was not breaking the cheek-weld through a magazine.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:23 PM
tgt_usa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Squirrel rifle

Intending to have a .22LR rifle, with which I can place 95% of my shots on a 2” circle at 100yds. Well, maybe it’s me, in fact pretty well sure that it is.

Using either my Winchester 52 with a 5x Leupold ‘scope or Izhmash 7-2-KO with a 20x Steiner ‘scope: hitting 80%. The rest are within a 3” circle. Still hoping it’s from a combination of: ammo; caffeine; slightly rushing the trigger. Eley was producing slightly smaller groups from the Izhmash. But most shots I called “off” were essential tremor moving the gun too late to uncommit from the shot.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:10 AM
Gobber
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Steiner 20x - that's some nice glass

I find when the barrel is seasoned to the particular ammo, my 7-2 tends to place the first cold bore shot about 3/4" high + 1/2" right.
After that, they settle in to whatever consistency the ammo will yield and my limited skill will allow

Indoor 100yd range test of some rounds I have a supply of:

Also really like the Accuracy 1st Scope Level. Surprised how easy it is to cant and never realize it.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:52 PM
dexdog

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have one of each, and both are great shooters capable of 0.5 MOA groups at 50 yards, although I really have to be shooting well to do that. In my case the Summit has a PWS action with Feddersen 0.920 barrel in a Victor stock. My Izhmash is the Sobol version, not the 7-2. I think that the Summit/Feddersen combo is a bit more consistent than the Izhmash, but not by much, maybe 0.1 MOA difference. The Izhmash prefers SK Rifle Match, while the Summit likes Eley Edge the best. Both rifles also perform really well with Lapua Center-X