Help with Dog? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 10-23-2020, 08:36 PM
Flintlock28's Avatar
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2011
Posts: 
2,656
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)


Log in to see fewer ads
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadSpitter View Post
I'd like to suggest putting a few rounds or so into the dirt at your buddies feet.

I mean, if the dog had an ear infection that went unknown for who knows how long, maybe it did permanent damage? And if we as humans are warned about and suggested to wear eye and ear protection, ear protection being the one I'm getting at, what's to say the dog maybe didn't end up with and doesn't have and can't get hearing issues? Especially when the owner blasts rounds at and or by it. If he did that with you there or told you he did that, what has he done you don't know about it?

Sorry, I know they're "just" animals to some, but just because they are doesn't mean they deserve that kind of treatment. And I know he's your "bud" so I'll expect you to come to his defense for doing that. Won't change my mind that it was unnecessary.

In the end, some dogs, even in breeds that are known as "hunting" dogs, even though they're one of these breeds, sometimes things happen, sometimes the animal changes. Sometimes %%%% happens. But that is no reason and the animal, dog in this case, doesn't deserve to be treated cruelly!!!

If I seem over the top with anything I've said in regards to this, you can chalk it up to the fact I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary, 11/17/19, of having to put my best friend down. She wasn't a hunting dog. But she was my buddy and a member of our family. So I tend to get defensive and protective when I here about, or see, cruelty towards animals no matter the form. But I especially do when said cruelty comes from the supposed owner of the animal. Because they should know better!
No, I completely understand what you're saying.....


My buddy is a good guy, who truly loves the dog, i just think he's at wits end, as to what happened to a dog that hunted really well, and showed great promise. For two Hunting seasons, I've been on probably every hunt that they've done (plus 20 hunts), and watched Him mature.


Twice, I've seen the dog catch a scent, whirl around, and catch a pheasant with His teeth, as it's taking off, about 3.5 feet in the air. The dog has a very mellow disposition, is laid back, but got very enthusiastic, when hunting....now he acts like he's out for a walk, in the neighborhood.

Hopefully, when we meet a trainer, things will improve.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-24-2020, 11:26 AM
ricky280's Avatar
ricky280
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2007
Location: 
The BlueGrass State
Posts: 
227
TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I raised beagles for over 40 yrs, my Dad raised them and his Dad raised them..I raised one I called Rock, he was a very good jump dog and track dog. He turned six years old and just quit hunting ,he had no interest. I took him to the vet everything checked out good. I would take him hunting with our other rabbit dogs but he just wouldn't hunt anymore..Rock was a happy dog and loved people. I live in a very rural area so I made him yard dog my kids loved old Rock..He died when he was 11 yrs old and NEVER mistreated a day in is life..

Last edited by ricky280; 10-24-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-24-2020, 03:09 PM
Flintlock28's Avatar
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2011
Posts: 
2,656
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky280 View Post
I raised beagles for over 40 yrs, my Dad raised them and his Dad raised them..I raised one I called Rock, he was a very good jump dog and track dog. He turned six years old and just quit hunting ,he had no interest. I took him to the vet everything checked out good. I would take him hunting with our other rabbit dogs but he just wouldn't hunt anymore..Rock was a happy dog and loved people. I live in a very rural area so I made him yard dog my kids loved old Rock..He died when he was 11 yrs old and NEVER mistreated a day in is life..
This is what I'm afraid of...

I think the Dog has simply decided he doesn't want to do this anymore. I don't believe he's been or being abused in any way. I forwarded the trainer's info i got, to my Buddy. We'll see if he pursues it.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-24-2020, 06:37 PM
calabrian's Avatar
calabrian
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Aug 2006
Location: 
Maine, USA
Posts: 
550
TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Pain

Shooting over a dog with an ear infection can be really painful for a dog.
Could be his desire to hunt was washed out of him after enduring the last two hunts of the previous season.
Certainly don't get mad at the dog ...that's just completely counter productive, not to mention just awful.
A good trainer might be able to help ...but it will be expensive with no guarantee.
The dog needs kindness and understanding from a thoughtful, experienced, skillful pro, which must continued after the process.
If your friend isn't willing to go to the trouble of educating himself, give the dog up to a caring family.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-25-2020, 08:58 AM
barrowsr
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2018
Location: 
Missouri
Posts: 
2
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Help With Dog

There have been some good advise given in this thread but I'm ging to add my two cents because I live with two English Setters who are also hunting buddies. Would you continue to hunt with someone who fired a round in the dirt nearby out of frustration with you?

Your buddy needs to find a home for that dog. Your buddy needs counseling. There are some things you just don't do with a gun in your hand, period. Buy him a stuffed animal. 90% of hunting dog problems are owner / trainer caused. The other 10% are because the owner didn't fully investigate the problem.

Last edited by barrowsr; 10-25-2020 at 11:08 AM. Reason: subscribe to thread
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-25-2020, 01:20 PM
Flintlock28's Avatar
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2011
Posts: 
2,656
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrowsr View Post
There have been some good advise given in this thread but I'm ging to add my two cents because I live with two English Setters who are also hunting buddies. Would you continue to hunt with someone who fired a round in the dirt nearby out of frustration with you?

Your buddy needs to find a home for that dog. Your buddy needs counseling. There are some things you just don't do with a gun in your hand, period. Buy him a stuffed animal. 90% of hunting dog problems are owner / trainer caused. The other 10% are because the owner didn't fully investigate the problem.
When i first posted this question; I may led people to think the dog was in some type of danger, when my buddy fired. I think He is just very frustrated that the dog has hunted poorly the last 4 trips. I didn't know my buddy was going to fire, I simply saw out of the corner of my eye, him shoot in front of himself in the ground, while the dog was on his side, at 90 degrees.....so, the dog was in no danger.

He has had a number of hunting dogs throughout his life, so this is not his first rodeo. Think of yourself spending hours training the dog, playing retrieve with him nearly everyday after work, taking him down the shore, out on your Boat, etc., etc., while dropping about $ 120 to 140, every time you hunt, on a preserve. You would probably get a little angry yourself. I'm not making excuses for him, but the dog isn't being abused.

i hope He does contact the trainer, and get some help.

I'll keep posting if things improve.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x