Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

3P Sportsman Gun(s)

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  457 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for a gun for my 12-year-old son to start shooting 3P (50') I'm leaning towards CZ 457 Trainer vs Savage models but wonder about the 24" barrel and if it would help him or not? He's an experienced 5m BB shooter but looking to get into 22 now.

This is also Open Sights only (ideally it would have peep sights at some point) we about 3 weeks to get him set up also. Been trying to get him to do this for 3 years and he told me last week... About the worst time in the US to find and buy a gun...

Not sure if this matters but his right-handed but left eye dominant and shoots left.

Thank Travis

#5 · (Edited)
At our recent 4H Regional 3P match I saw kids with everything from Crickets to Anschutz, RARs, CZ's, Henry Lever actions, and modern sporting rifles. So the takeaway is to just shoot SOMETHING with open or peep sights. There were 40+ kids in the matches. As a general rule, the kids with better equipment shot better scores. Those with peep sights generally scored higher than those with open sights.

The winner was shooting a Savage MK I FVT, don't know about 2d, but third was using an Anschutz. My granddaughter was using a CZ 457 Scout with a Redfield International Rear, Merit adjustable aperture and an Anschutz front globe with clear inserts. She's 10 and this was her first match ever. She made the cut to go to State.
Air gun Outdoor recreation Shotgun Machine gun Gun barrel
Sporting clays Air gun Trap shooting Shotgun Grass

#6 ·
Thanks, Everybody!!!

Ended up ordering a CZ 457 Training Rifle last night on Gun Broker and sending it to a local dealer, a new process for me, hopefully, it all works out.

Eugenious - I first starting looking for an FVT model but didn't find any and after seeing a CZ action I really liked it vs savage's

Rc. - Was hoping to hear that. :)

Pat McCoy - Thanks for the link, those are some Really nice stocks. :t

Eagle199 – Thanks, I’m sure will have a mix also, the coaches did note one shooter last year as an Anschutz. For me and the wife my son doesn't really do any other sports so we figure we can spend a bit more on him. Congrats on your granddaughter's success! :t

That's a Nice sight setup! Looks like the setup I’d like to have for him!
Did you install the sites yourself? From the pics, it looks almost bolt-on vs any drilling and tapping? I hate to ask for more info but do you have the model numbers of the parts you used?

Thanks Again, Travis

#7 · (Edited)
The setup we've been using on the 457 Scout seems to be working well. It's pretty well a bolt-on with very little fitting.

I already had the Redfield International rear sight (approx $200 on eBay) when I bought the rifle, so looked for an adapter. Champions Choice had one that fits the grooved receiver and adapts to a Redfield-type mount, at REAR BASE FOR ANSCHUTZ TO ACCEPT REDFIELD REAR SIGHT | Champion's Choice . This is very similar to a Savage-Anschutz SA-1411 which I found on eBay for around $50. I actually have both now. I bought the S-A first because Champions Choice had theirs on backorder, then the CC came in. Both type works, the S-A is blued and a little heavier, the ChampChoice is matte and a little lighter. Per the Champions Choice website, sights by Redfield, PNW, Zelenak, Swenson, and Warner will fit this adapter. The Lyman #90 MJT looks like it will fit but actually it will NOT fit. A Redfield 75 sight will NOT fit this adapter, has different threads (although if you are handy with a drill and tap I supposed you could make it work).

Another alternative to the Redfield-type sight might be a used Anschutz sight like this one listed on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anschutz-T...168228?hash=item265b0a7124:g:96cAAOSwKX1gPpwc (two hours till the auction closes) at around $100. Hint: When looking for sights on eBay, use the search terms "micrometer sight" or "diopter sight".

For the front sight I removed the CZ sight hood and used the sight-blade adjusting screws to drop the blade to it's lowest position. It still sticks out a little so instead of removing it completely I chose to file a narrow slot in the base of the replacement globe sight, using the narrow edge of a file. The globe sight I used is a used older-model Anschutz 6522 off eBay, was misidentified and I found it for $35 delivered. Looks like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Ansch...830380?hash=item343e053e2c:g:tGkAAOSwgulgRqZ7, or https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anschutz-f...582472?hash=item4219604a88:g:SHIAAOSw4sVgL1bJ. This globe snaps over the CZ front sight ramp and can be tightened down. It tightens from the bottom of the sight with a claw, rather than at the top of the dovetail like a Redfield, if that makes any sense. A Redfield Olympic/International globe front sight wouldn't clamp down on the CZ ramp. I'm told that Centra offers a globe front sight that will also fit the CZ front sight ramp but I could never find one in stock anywhere.

After mounting the Redfield International Rear sight I found it wouldn't go low enough to match the Anschutz front globe so I moved the aperture holder on the horizontal arm of the Redfield from the top of the arm to the bottom of the arm. A Redfield Palma rear sight would not work with this front sight, wouldn't go low enough and the aperture holder was already on the bottom of the horizontal arm.

For a rear aperture we are using an old Merit adjustable rear aperture, which I already had (again on eBay, approx $100).

If I had bought all these sight parts originally, rather than having been given the Redfield rear sight and the Merit aperture, there would be more invested in the sights than in the rifle. Funny how that works. (Summary: Redfield International = $200, Merit Aperture = $100, CZ to Redfield Adapter = $50, Anschutz Globe = $35, Clear Insert Set = $30, total $415 vs CZ 457 Scout at $325)
Material property Font Composite material Metal Auto part
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel
Black Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Flag

#9 ·
Looking for a gun for my 12-year-old son to start shooting 3P (50') I'm leaning towards CZ 457 Trainer vs Savage models but wonder about the 24" barrel and if it would help him or not? He's an experienced 5m BB shooter but looking to get into 22 now.

This is also Open Sights only (ideally it would have peep sights at some point) we about 3 weeks to get him set up also. Been trying to get him to do this for 3 years and he told me last week... About the worst time in the US to find and buy a gun...

Not sure if this matters but his right-handed but left eye dominant and shoots left.

Thank Travis
I just put a Williams FP-AG on a new 457 Jaguar which a 28” barrel and adjustable front sight. I have not sighted it in but it does not look like I will need to raise the front sight at all. The Williams has the ability to flip the aperture holder down below the horizontal piece and still have 0.17” or more vertical adjustment.
I got a lot of help from Brian who is a sight technician for Williams. He even got an FP-AG sight and proved that the aperture holder could be reversed and called me back. At 73 clams from A-zon it was a lot less than Anschutz etc from the bay and I could return it if it did not work.
It mounts just behind it in front of the ejection port.

Sinclair sells a less adjustable one that may work for you. Sinclair also sells apertures that fit Williams.
Good shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.