Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

I bought a brand new / old stock 60W.

957 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Ruger-MKI 
#1 · (Edited)
I got heavy into shooting 45 ACP 1911's (still am) and because I hadn't fired them in a few years prior to selling my CZ452 a couple of years ago I gifted my only other .22 rifle (a older unaltered 10/22 carbine) to a close friends 12 year old son a few years ago which left me with no rimfire rifle......the boy was so happy he started crying which in turn put a lump in my throat. :)

Anyway, I've reloaded since the mid to late 80's but with components being scarce now like everything else shooting related I started thinking about getting another .22 rifle a few weeks back and what I wanted was a Marlin 60 but I didn't realize that they had become hard to find and more costly when you did run across one in good shape.

I put the word out that I was looking for one and a fella about a one hour drive away contacted me saying that he had a brand new unfired model 60W with the medallion in the stock that says, "Safety, Ethics, Sportsmanship" that he wanted $300.00 for.....we met, it was in mint condition and I bought it.

I've read that you are not supposed to fire HYPER velocity ammo through the rifle because it damages the buffer but all of my ammo either says standard velocity or or high velocity on the box.......is high velocity alright to fire through the rifle ?

I haven't fired the rifle yet and I'll admit that the heavy trigger pull leaves a lot to be desired.

BTW I'm not a forum newbie......I registered here 3-31-2012 as "Big Ike"and forgot my password and after trying six times to reset it, without having any luck, I set up a new account / screen name.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I use CCI mini Mags in mine, CCI Standard Velocity too! (No issues with either ammo)

In a rifle that old you are going to want to be sure the recoil buffer is intact. Do not use solvents on that buffer! Also be careful not to kink the recoil spring during reassembly. Tracy, a long ago girlfriend gave me my 60W She's long gone the 60 isn't. Here's mine (and mittens)

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Jammer22.

Minus the scope and kitty yours looks like the rifle I have.

I haven't had the action out of the stock yet to look at the buffer but I have cleaned and oiled the bore which looks great.

With my serial number being 073***** it looks like my rifle was made somewhere around 1993 to 1996, that sound about right ?

It probably wouldn't hurt to have a spare or two, are factory spec buffers still available someplace and if so where ?

#9 ·
I looked for the buffers and Midway used to have the white buffers for $9.99 but they are now discontinued, it looks like Numrich still carries them (black) for $13.00 so I'll get a couple on order.

I watched a couple videos on how to change the buffers and being completely honest with me not being all that mechanically inclined the thought of changing one out (even with the video) makes me somewhat nervous.

My stock trigger is pretty stiff and I see that MCARBO makes a trigger spring kit for $29.95 but after watching a couple of videos there again I'd feel nervous about tackling the job on my own.

As Dirty Harry would say, "a man's got to know his limitations" :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.