Old 10-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Blackhills
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Magazine latch and Ejector

Hi guys and gals,

Please bear with me as this is kinda long,

I have a dilemma with my papoose, as I had posted in a seperate thread my 70p papoose drops it mag when firing after 2-3 rounds, that thread can be seen here https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=360514

It seems to me that Marlin could have improved the system in which the magazine is held in place. As we all know the back side of the mag has a little spur which when inserted into the gun is held inplace by a equaly little spur on the Magazine latch and Ejector lever (kinda like trying to ballance a pencil on a pencil), the small size of the spur on the lever is not big enough to hold the mag inplace when the action recoils and causes the mag to move, causing the spur on the mag to move off from the little spur on the latch, thus resulting in my gun to drop the mag.

Now my question is did marlin ever make a replacement Magazine latch and Ejector lever with a larger spur to hold the mag inplace for its semi autos? I did some snooping and all that I can find for the 70p is the exact same lever that is currently in my gun. So I did some more snooping on the web for marlin mag latch and ejectors and found this... http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=218063 I know it is for a bolt action I just thought I would show a picture showing what I am looking for, the Spur on the Lever is much bigger.

I also did some looking for the latch out of the new 70pss papoose
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=149623
and perhaps its just the picture but it seems the spur on the latch on the newer papoose's is larger that the ones in the original 70p, does anyone have both models and could confirm this? If so hopefully this would solve my problem once and for all with it droping its magazine after 2-3 rounds.

Sorry for the length of the post, but its one of those things where you got to explain alot so you dont sound like a loon

Jonathan
Old 10-11-2010, 05:06 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have a Model 70 and my magazines lock up just fine with no movement during firing and they will drop free for a mag change. Is it possible that you release could be bent? Have you tried pushing the release forward with out a mag in place to try and overstress it a little forward? Just thinking out load.

Mals
Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Blackhills
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
I have a Model 70 and my magazines lock up just fine with no movement during firing and they will drop free for a mag change. Is it possible that you release could be bent? Have you tried pushing the release forward with out a mag in place to try and overstress it a little forward? Just thinking out load.

Mals
I have tried to bend it forward to get it to put more pressure on the mag with out a mag in place, I can jiggle the mag when its empty and inserted in place and the mag will not fall out but it still drops the mag after 2-3 shots, I was hoping it would work but I have had no luck with that fix.

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 06:06 PM
gopher_6_9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did you buy new? aftermarket/faulty mag?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Blackhills
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nope, I got a new Marlin Factory Original 7 shot mag
Old 10-11-2010, 08:31 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You could try building up the front of the mag well with a piece of tape and see if it helps hold the mag back against the latch. If this is the problem a thin layer of JB Weld should be the final fix.

Mals
Old 10-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Blackhills
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought about the JB weld idea but wasnt sure about it as I have not ever used it. Looking at the spur it would not take much to build it up in layers and make it wider. Might be a option worth trying. Still currious if anyone else has had this problem or if im the unlucky one lol

Thanks again,

Jonathan
Old 10-12-2010, 06:04 AM
schutzen-jager
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
had same problem a few years ago with my 70p - the replacement latch that marlin sent was slightly longer than the original - been working fine since -
Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Blackhills
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for the Info Schutzen-Jager,

I might have to give them a call and do that or pick on up from Numrich or Midway, Is there any size difference in the spur on the latch? I personaly would feel better just buying a new piece then I can try the JB weld expeiment on the old latch and if it works I got a spare part, If I screw it up oh well i got a new one in the gun.

Jonathan
Old 10-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Blackhills
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I just got off the phone with marlin and ordered a new Mag Latch came to a little over $14 after shipping and such, according to the lady I talked to they are in the process of moving facilities but they are hoping to be shipping towards the end of this week, I also inquired about getting a case from one of the new papooses, they are on back order and they are not sure when they will come in, and for anyone interested they are $40+ a pop, So I guess ill have to wait to pick one up,

Jonathan
Old 10-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The OEM Marlin mag latch is almost as bad as the OEM 1022 mag latch...

It's amazing that some smart aftermarket parts place hasn't solved this issue by now.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Blackhills
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shrek View Post
The OEM Marlin mag latch is almost as bad as the OEM 1022 mag latch...

It's amazing that some smart aftermarket parts place hasn't solved this issue by now.
I was kind of surprised my self when I started looking in to it, I guess enough of them must work that no one has thought of it, Hopefully the part comming from marlin will solve the problem if not its time to get creative
Old 10-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Blackhills
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
UPDATE

Part arrived today got the rifle taken down but am unsure how to get the magazine well with the mag latch and ejector out of the lower reciver, anyone have any pointers?

Jonathan
Old 10-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Blackhills
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
UPDATE Pt. 2

So i found out how to take apart the lower reciver, very very good tutorial here

So here is what the Old latch looks like compared to the new (Old is on the left, New on Right)

[IMG][/IMG]

Once I finish getting everything clean and back together I will see if it makes any difference.

Jonathan
Old 10-26-2010, 04:23 PM
old vet_1965
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you went to the marlin web site and looked at the manuals for your rifle it has a exploded view of the action- hope this helps
old vet_1965
johnny