Mag Release - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:56 PM
cleatis1234
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mag Release

Just got back from the range, had an interesting problem.

A little background first. I have a Mk III 5.5" bull barrel. I got rid of the mag safety, so it is effectively a Mk II.

I was at the range, shooting at a target, nothing special, only issue is that I was using hollowpoint ammo, so I was getting the occasional failure to feed. A know issue using hollowpoint ammo in Mk III's.

I finished a magazine, and went to remove it, and it wouldn't release. I pushed on the magazine release button with a screwdriver to make sure nothing was stuck under it that could be forced out. No luck. The mag release button wouldn't depress all the way. I managed to pry the magazine out of the gun, and checked with another magazine to eliminate the magazine as the source of the problem. The second mag also had to be pried from the gun.

I got home, dissassembled the gun and looked for a sticking mag release plunger or some crud blocking the mag release. Nothing. I put the gun back together, and it now works. Nothing fell out, I had a paper plate under the gun while working on it to see if anything would fall.

Anyone else ever have this issue? I tested it with six different magazines when I got home, and all had to be pried from the gun. After the "fix", all dropped free.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:52 PM
hakr100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis1234 View Post

I was at the range, shooting at a target, nothing special, only issue is that I was using hollowpoint ammo, so I was getting the occasional failure to feed. A know issue using hollowpoint ammo in Mk III's.
I never experienced a FTF using minimag hps in my mark iii.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 PM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Sometimes some dirt or crud gets behind the mag release and it won't depress all the way. That is probably what happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Evil Dog
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
If the screw that retains the magazine release loosens up a bit it will effectively prevent the magazine release button from being pushed far enough to release the magazine.... had it happen to me. Blue LocTite solves the problem. Also, if one of the grip screws is overtightened it can press against the side of the magazine.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:17 AM
cleatis1234
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Found no crud, though that doesn't mean it wasn't the cause. That is my suspect.

The screw was tight, though I don't see how it being loose would impede the operation of the mag release. I pressed the mag release with the screw completely out and it released a magazine fine.

I had read that hollowpoints had the reputation of causing occasional jams, from what I've seen on mine, the hollowpoint of the bullet catches on the edge of the feedramp. Deforms the bullet. Not a lot, but one in the middle of a steel plate match, it would screw you good. If anyone knows of a fix for this, I'd be happy to try it.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:16 PM
StretchMaK
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakr100 View Post
I never experienced a FTF using minimag hps in my mark iii.
I have with the Remington "golden bullets" and the CCI minimag HPs in both of my MkIII's. Round nose work with no issues at all.