Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Philo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Happy w/your MKIII?

I am planning on purchasing my first rimfire handgun, a Ruger MKIII, sometime this week or next. I have pretty much ruled out the MKIII 22/45 because I don't want the poly lower. Just for curiosity's sake; has anyone had any problems with the 22/45 or know any reason that the straight MKIII's are better than the 22/45 version or vice-versa? The sturdiness of metal just makes me feel more secure, I guess. On a separate topic, can you buy OEM barrels for the MKIII? For instance, if I found a MKIII tapered for a good price, could I put a bull barrel on it later? Thanks for any help/advice, I've already learned so much from this forum.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Standardruger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

I have a ruger standard .22 pistol that was made in the 1980`s its the tapered barrel and its a shooter..Deadly accurate But answering your question Clark Custom Guns can rebarrel your your gun with a bull barrel.They have dif models of barrels..Like the slabside 6 7/8 and diff sized bull barrels
I think the barrels prices start @ 50 or 60 bucks any they are factory ruger barrels taken off guns that they`ve replaced them with their own .And the price for labor is around 125$ and im not sure about shipping.But it might be something worth your time to do.Who knows
Old 08-31-2009, 01:06 PM
nnedsand08

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philo View Post
has anyone had any problems with the 22/45 or know any reason that the straight MKIII's are better than the 22/45 version or vice-versa? The sturdiness of metal just makes me feel more secure, I guess
Don't let the plastic scare you, it's durable enough that your not gona wear it out. This topic comes up a bunch - the general consensus is that it all comes down to personal preference. Find a store with both and decide for yourself. The biggest drawback to the 22/45 is that you can't replaced the grips since the frame is one piece poly mold.

Of course that doesn't stop the people who like to tinker. I happen to like the 22/45 - and it only got better after modding the frame to take aftermarket grips.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Philo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen a picture of that pistol before on this forum, it looks so nice! if I did go with the 22/45, I would have to do the grip mod, my hands are too big for the thinness of the grip. No problems with the grips being brittle or anything? I live in Milwaukee, and it is cold for a lot of the year here, including summer this year, grr. But I still get time to get out to the family farm and shoot, so i'd need it to not be a problem. Thanks for all the info, guys.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:35 PM
bigfatdave
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Start with whatever is a good fit for your hand, if you're not sure after handling both in a shop, find a rental range and try actually shooting both.
Personally, I like the stock basic grips on the mkIII, and haven't felt any real need to upgrade. I like a narrow frame, but the 22/45 was too narrow even for me, and I like the angle on the standard.
Either of the two offers lots of possibilities for tinkering, and either is also a good shooter right out of the box. I think the standard version is easier to tinker on than the 22/45, but I don't have the 22/45 experience to back that up.
As far as re-barreling goes, there are aftermarket uppers, and the uppers are interchangeable between models. There is a catch to changing out uppers though - the upper if the serialized firearm, so if you order a new upper, you get to go through the silliness of FFL transfer.

No, polymer framed guns don't get brittle in any environment you can survive in. The fears about polymer frames are getting downright silly. If anything, the polymer frames on modern guns are more durable than many metal-framed guns were before modern metallurgy techniques were developed. Torture tests have been conducted, and neither freezing or sustained fire making the slide too hot to touch affected the polymer in the slightest. Polymer pistols have been beaten well beyond any condition you are likely to replicate, and kept on going. Worrying about the polymer frame on a .22 range gun is just silly, poly frames are tough enough to go into combat, tough enough to take a beating in the desert, tough enough to go thousands of rounds between cleanings, etc etc. A plinker is going to be babied compared to what a modern firearm is capable of taking.
You can search for testing quite easily:
Smith and Wesson M&P
Glock
Springfield XD

Last edited by bigfatdave; 08-31-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Philo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And that kinda seals the deal for me; I like the grips better on the MKIII, and I don't want to go through the hassle of an FFL transfer for the same pistol twice, so I'm just going to have to find one with the bbl I want and buy it. So, if any of you guys want to get rid of a bull barreled MKIII (blued or stainless) at a reasonable price, PM me
And thanks again for all the advice and info! BFD, thanks for all the info on poly frames! If they weren't so skinny, I think I might grab one, the price is definitely right...

Last edited by Philo; 08-31-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:07 PM
hakr100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's just a matter of personal taste whether you prefer the steel Mark III or the "polymer" 22/45. I had an all-stainless Mark III Hunter I sold recently, but just bought a bull-barrel all-steel model with the 5-1/2" barrel. Since I plan to put a red dot on the new pistol, the longer barrel models wouldn't offer me any advantage.

Polymer pistols have proven their "abilities," as it were. Get the model you like.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
StretchMaK

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have a MkIII 22/45 and a Competition target model and love them both. Very happy with them.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:02 PM
greener
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try both and get the one that feels and fit best. You will not seriously affect the lifetime of a MKIII 22/45 unless you use the grip as a hammer. Same goes for the MKIII (steel) versions.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:07 PM
firestar45
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have three MK IIIs and am very happy with all them. All of them have been reworked, ie: extractors, sears, and triggers, plus the removal of the Mag. disconect.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 PM
vetteman96

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchMaK View Post
I have a MkIII 22/45 and a Competition target model and love them both. Very happy with them.
I also have the MK III 22/45 and Competition Target models. I am also very happy with both. The 22/45 is lighter with a more narrow frame but I attached a hogue slip on grip and it helps out a lot. The regular MK III will give you more grip options, they just screw in so you can buy them with a thumb rest or you can attach a VQ grip which is very nice. No need to permanently alter the frame to install a wider grip like on the 22/45. I currently use my 22/45 for red dot work and the Competition Target model I shoot with open sights. Both are very accurate and very reliable. If I could only keep one I would keep my Competition Target model because I like the finish better including the metal frame and the longer barrel.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
dispatch55126
US Air Force Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a 22/45 with the bull barrel. I sold it because I didn't like the feel of it. The grip was too narrow and it had an odd balance with the bull barrel. That said, I'll be buying a MKIII Hunter in the future.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:44 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark III Hunter and I am happy with it. Just this am I checked them out at the gunshop and they are $20 less than I paid 4 yrs ago?? Maybe I need another.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:28 PM
SquirrelAssassin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelAssassin
I have the MKIII Hunter(6 7/8) and the MKIII512 (5 1/2), and they are still relatively new I haven't shot the 512 yet, but the Hunter likes to jam! I haven't moded anything yet, but I will be soon before hunting season starts.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:46 PM
Redm2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I absolutely love my Mark iii Hunter 6 7/8". Have not had a single issue. No jams...nothing. I haven't modded a thing on it either. I gave mine a light cleaning before the first time out and I spend an hour cleaning it (by choice) after every 200 or so rounds. I still haven't pulled the gun apart. BTW, I am particular about how clean my guns are.