Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:12 PM
Friskydingo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Looking for a new .22 Sporter, input?

Howdy RFC, I'm currently in the market for a new .22 sporter style rifle. I currently have more than a few .22's (I'm in good company here ) but I am looking for something a little more specific that I'd like some input on. I'll list out my criteria and go from there.

1. It must be a bolt action. I'm not picky on make, but would like something "vintage" and American made. I know about the CZ/BRNO guns and I already have a 452, it's great but I want something different.

2. It must be a magazine fed repeater. I'm not flexible on this, I like tube fed AND single shots but it's not what I want in this rifle.

3. It must have iron sights. They don't have to be aperture or target sights, though I like those as well. I have more than enough rifles that have scopes and no irons, this will not have a scope mounted and will be irons only.

4. It must have a walnut stock, or other high quality wood. I also greatly prefer checkering, though it is not a requirement.

5. I'm looking for something a little higher quality, not entry level. I have had lots of cheap old rimfire rifles and they have brought me great joy, but I am looking for something that's a step up in quality.

6. It must be accurate, but doesn’t need to win world matches. This is a rifle for hunting, and I'll make the trade off of ease of portability over a huge bull barreled target gun.

7. Price range of $800 or less, though could be convinced to go higher for the right rifle but not up to original 52 sporter money.

There are a few rifles that have caught my attention so far. There's a Remington 513 Sporter for sale near me that seems like a good candidate, though it is cosmetically challenged and could have some underlaying issues I need to investigate further.

I'm also looking at Winchester 75 sporters, though they are usually a little out of my price range. I have seen some nice 69a rifles for sale online, but never in person and I fear they might be too heavy and not be suited to a walking around rifle.

Condition and originality is not a high priority, this will be an actively used hunting squirrels in the hazelnut trees around me.

Otherwise, I'd love some input from the well informed members of this forum of other options I should consider!

And any Oregon members who might have a lead on something local, feel free to message me!
Old 03-21-2020, 06:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Good Used Anschutz 1416D
CZ of any flavor
Savage

These are your best bet for an accurate rifle, in order of accuracy potential out of the box.

According to the specs you want, the Anschutz is not even an option. You have a CZ, and the Savage is made in Canada. You will NOT find a accurate rifle made in the USA within your budget unless you build a custom 10/22.

Last edited by Gizzy; 03-21-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:25 PM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Winchester 75 Sporter, as mentioned, is a good choice. If you shop carefully, one can be found for under $800. In 2019, I bought one with a Lyman 57ES receiver sight for $550 because it has been drilled and tapped for a Weaver C4 scope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 06:31 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The did make some Ruger 77/22 s with iron sights. Limiting yourself to American made is quite restrictive. The Talo Ruger American Rimfire isnt bad looking https://www.ruger.com/products/ameri...mages/8359.jpg
Old 03-21-2020, 06:40 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not necessarily vintage, but a Ruger 77/22 with open sights is a good looking rifle and it meets most of your requirements. Accuracy isn't the best, but it can be improved with a little tinkering.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:07 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
75 Sporter or a 69a, the 513 has a less than desirable trigger.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:36 PM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 Rifle................

Based on your punch list, I think a Winchester Model 69 or 69A would fill the bill nicely. They were made in America, they are not heavy, most have quite nice triggers and many came with semi target type sights. Also, both 5 and 10 rd magazines are available. I have one that is officially my wife's rifle. She can handle the weight and length of pull quite well
Old 03-21-2020, 08:01 PM
Artos

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I would just up your budget a hair & get a 75 in good shape...it will hold it's value & has some romance. Wish I never sold mine but went to a good buddy who is a fed game warden.

There are probably some Anschutz models on the 64 action that you would probably be drawn to as well.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:22 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Your criteria just screams a Win 75 Sporter. If you are patient and watch at LGS, Pawn Shops, online auctions, and other likely places, you will find one for your price. I bought mine at Cabela's about 2 years ago for about $375 because it had been D&T'd on the receiver. So, I just got some Leupold gunsmith bases and made my own to match the existing holes and it fits perfectly. Most of them come with good aperture or iron sights, but if they are missing you can find them pretty readily on ebay, gunbrokers, and other places like gun shows...

For your purposes, though, a 69A would be about perfect also. Just a bit heavier barrel, but the same action as the 75. Good triggers, good handling stocks, and quite often find them with good iron sights of one type or another... and they are much more plentiful than the 75 Sporters...

Bob
Old 03-21-2020, 08:33 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
With an $800 budget I would also watch for a Remington 541S. They made some with open iron sights but are hard to find.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:36 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Possibly a Weatherby XXII. They did make some with irons but the prices may be on the high side.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:01 PM
Collects
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester 320 would be a good choice. Fairly reasonable and exceptional accuracy.
Ruger 77/22 as mentioned in previous post, first ones came with iron sights.
Remington 541 T, but I don't think iron sights were an option.
Remington 513S, love mine, but fairly heavy for carrying in the woods.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:02 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A walnut stocked 77/22 with blue bolt and rifle sights would certainly be a good choice and I bet you could find one if you look hard enough under $600 in good shape. Accuracy may or may not be outstanding. I believe the blue bolt ones are early 80s guns and had good barrels. rc
Old 03-22-2020, 08:55 AM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll second the Winchester 320. When I was a kid my older brother got one new. There is no telling how many starlings, squirrels and turtles we killed with it. He still has it although it probably hasn't been shot in 30 years.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:02 AM
jagerman

TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
Good Used Anschutz 1416D
CZ of any flavor
Savage

These are your best bet for an accurate rifle, in order of accuracy potential out of the box.

According to the specs you want, the Anschutz is not even an option. You have a CZ, and the Savage is made in Canada. You will NOT find a accurate rifle made in the USA within your budget unless you build a custom 10/22.
Those are the top 3 outta the box that's news to me and misleading to the rest of rfc. What you fail to mention when you talk 64 action sporters is the ejection issues so I wouldn't consider that something that I would want to hunt with. 2nd the accuracy isnt better than cz 452s in the examples I've tried. Cz is hit and miss anymore in the accuracy department the quality has gone down and price up since the 452 imo. Savage heavy barrels are way better than their sporter barrels and I dont see much great wood on then. Anschutz cz and most savages aren't made in USA. 64 action sporters wouldn't break the top 5 in accuracy department so you are being extremely generous.

As to the op's maybe try a Remington 541s they have screw holes for sights you would have to get some and they are better than 64 sporters and cz imo. Another if you want new and I'm not sure it fits exactly in non entry level but worth a look. Keystone 722 classic its checkered walnut, moa guarantee , made in the usa has sights ,2# trigger and a short bolt throw for under 400 the thing about them they have no magazine release you just pull it in and push it out. They come with a lifetime warranty when I tried one . I had a varmint and it was cz accurate. Just some ideas