Question re: Nikon, Weaver leaving the scope market. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:40 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Question Question re: Nikon, Weaver leaving the scope market.

Hi, fellow members;
I have both Nikon and Weaver scopes on my rifles, Weavers for years, with never a problem, and my newer Nikon has been trouble free, too.

I want another scope for one of my .22s, but if I buy one of the rimfire scopes from either, will the warranty be honored, and will service be available for my older scopes?

Leupold is in first place for any new purchase, then Vortex, Burris...meh, due to experience with a big bore scope. Who is left that makes a good rimfire scope at a reasonable price?
Old 03-08-2020, 11:39 PM
randyman_ar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. View Post
Hi, fellow members;
I have both Nikon and Weaver scopes on my rifles, Weavers for years, with never a problem, and my newer Nikon has been trouble free, too.

I want another scope for one of my .22s, but if I buy one of the rimfire scopes from either, will the warranty be honored, and will service be available for my older scopes?

Leupold is in first place for any new purchase, then Vortex, Burris...meh, due to experience with a big bore scope. Who is left that makes a good rimfire scope at a reasonable price?
Have no idea power you are wanting...but I've bought a few vintage Weaver's off of e-bay in the past month. Older fixed power models. Might be worth a look.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:17 AM
Discontinued
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always preferred fixed power scopes less to go wrong and cleaner lines.

I too had a few Nikons and Leupolds in the and traded them for a 20 gauge Lincoln Over and under

Silly move on my part really, as I wouldn't go near a Leopold now sadly due to the amount of fakes being sold in the UK.

Nikon. although not plagued by fakes went downhill in my opinion when they started to make scopes with plastic turret caps.

The old Prostaff 2-7 x33 I had was optically stunning. Everything about it was classy, a scope for life!

The later models just felt cheap and less optically clear. than the prostaff of old.

Now I just use the new Hawke Vatange scopes, as my opinion, they are the Ruger10/22 of rifle scopes, cheap, very very relaible and surprisingly good optics and above all they don't lose zero, they are not a crappy BSA, Barska or Nikko Sterling. they also have a lifetime warranty

The added bonus is they are constructed in the UK from Chinese parts so quality control is very good.

The sweetheart of the line is the Vantage 4x30 with adjustable AO
It could only see about 10% difference in optical quality between that model and my Leupold FX 4x33

That Hawke has sat on a .308 for 3 years and never lost zero.

And that Hawke costs 45 rather than 300 and Hawke, also just to reiterate they also, have a lifetime warranty.

I know people always go on about cheap scopes being amasing compared to my Leupold etc etc.

But this time it really is true!

https://www.hawkeoptics.com/

Last edited by Discontinued; 03-09-2020 at 05:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2020, 05:32 AM
hoechst62

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vista Outdoors bought out Weaver scopes
They also own Bushnell-Simmons -Millett-Tasco & Redfield

I bought a lot of close out Weaver Scopes - Bushnell will handle the Weaver Warranty
Replace with Weaver scopes they warehoused or Bushnell equivalent.

They (Vista) want to build up the Bushnell brand .
If you look up Weaver Scope Warranty it will take you to a Bushnell page.

https://vistaoutdoor.com/brands/
Old 03-09-2020, 06:54 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoechst62 View Post
Vista Outdoors bought out Weaver scopes
They also own Bushnell-Simmons -Millett-Tasco & Redfield
The Redfield scope brand is now owned by Leupold, although they appear to still sell Redfield scopes there has not been much in the way of new models lately. See the note at the bottom of this link or click on the warranty info.

Apparently Vista still owns the right to the Redfield mounts and rings.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:00 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
C.C. sir if you want to get a good scope I would not worry about Weaver they made quality stuff for years and I don't expect to have any problems with the ones I have...I even had some El Paso Weaver scopes that are older than dirt and still work great. Most scopes will last 20 years or more.

The Weavers I would advise not to get are the Kaspa which are made in China and are junk in my eyes. most of the other models like the 44/40, the Classic V series or better the Grand Slam are still out there but you better hurry they won't be for long.

I have no problem with Nikon they just did not have a reticle I liked. So I stuck with Ballistics X in my V-16s and the Varmint EBX in my Grand Slam 4-16x scopes.

Like Randyman_ar said you did not say why magnification scope you want...once we find that out we can better advise you. The Leupold scope are great if you like their reticles...I have some but their reticles did not do anything for me just like my Bushnell, Redfield, Simmons and all the other scope I have.

I have found over the years is that the reticle is the most important item then magnification and last brand...just so long as you have good glass to play with.

We all have our favorites...just stick with what you like and you will be ok.

Good luck on your quest

Signalman
Old 03-09-2020, 08:52 AM
hoechst62

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Caspa 4x16 illuminate
It is very good , holds zero very clear glass
When you by a scope made in china (just not low end-)
Its a crap shoot, good or junk
I got good
Bought a scope made in China from a much touted scope company (that's where all their scopes are made)
would not hold zero had to send two replacement before I got a good one and that
was a recently discontinued model.
Shame Nikon is out of the Business.
My last scope was from Sports Optics -- made other side of the world
seems to be better quality control.
Just my take not gospel .
Old 03-09-2020, 10:16 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I agree with Signalman. If you find a Weaver scope that you like I wouldn't be afraid to buy it. I've bought several Grand Slam's since Weaver sold to Vista Outdoors. I own quite a few Weaver scopes from the V-Series to mostly Grand Slam's and a few Super Slam's. I've never had any type of problem with any of them, and would not be afraid to buy more. I would be quite upset if I did have to send in one of my GS's or SS's for warranty work and got sent back a Bushnell (No matter which one). I would imagine that they will have replacements or at least the parts to fix the Weaver scopes for a while. At least we still have Leupold. Just wish they offered more of a choice of reticles.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:26 AM
justinp61
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I agree with Signalman. If you find a Weaver scope that you like I wouldn't be afraid to buy it. I've bought several Grand Slam's since Weaver sold to Vista Outdoors. I own quite a few Weaver scopes from the V-Series to mostly Grand Slam's and a few Super Slam's. I've never had any type of problem with any of them, and would not be afraid to buy more. I would be quite upset if I did have to send in one of my GS's or SS's for warranty work and got sent back a Bushnell (No matter which one). I would imagine that they will have replacements or at least the parts to fix the Weaver scopes for a while. At least we still have Leupold. Just wish they offered more of a choice of reticles.
A buddy of mine had the reticle break in one of his T24's break so he sent it back. They sent him a Bushnell of some sorts claiming they were no longer repairing Weaver scopes. He sent it back and they sent another. He called and explained that he had returned a target scope and their replacements were unacceptable. He returned the second scope and they sent him one of the new style side focus 36X target scopes.

I along with one of the guys I shoot with bought new T24's last year when they were on sale. His broke and as far as I know there has been no resolution. I'll try to remember to ask when we shoot air rifles Wednesday night.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:42 PM
Pa22Rimfire
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I owned a 3x9 Nikon vintage late 1990's when they first jumped into the rifle scope market. Great scope and very good quality. I owned it until just recently when I traded it as partial payment toward a Leupold VX 3 6.5 x 20 AO.

IMO the quality has waned over the years and they are not as good as their older models. That old Nikon was comparable to Leupold's Vari x II from the same time period!

I am biased as I have a soft spot for old vintage Made in USA El Paso Weaver scopes. Weaver went out of business in 1983 as far as I am concerned.

I own five old Weaver's and not one was manufactured after 1983.

Last edited by Pa22Rimfire; 03-09-2020 at 12:46 PM.