Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:25 AM
jaredncpoteet
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perfect squirrel gun

Hey guys I've been a long-time lurker and decided to make an account. I love hunting with my rimfire and went through quite a few currently I have a Henry 22 magnum with a vortex diamondback rimfire on top of it And I'm pretty disappointed in its accuracy and overall meat loss when shooting squirrels, but it's to be expected with the lever, don't get me wrong it's a very nice gun for what it is. I hunt squirrel with dogs and hunt squirrels whenever I can I like to take long precision shots at that 90 + yard rande in big timber and shots 30 ft in a tree currently I'm looking into the 17 hm2 but gun and ammo availability had me second-guessing. I was also considering just a hmr with fmj ammo. I'm looking for any type of rifle as long as it's accurate and under that 500 dollar range. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks guys.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2020, 07:33 AM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Can't help with you rifle decision but WELCOME to RFC.

Mals
Old 01-17-2020, 07:37 AM
VertFish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (52)
For the Ultimate Squirrel Gun (USR) under $500 I suggest a .22LR. You have more gun and ammo choices. I suggest a CZ 452.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 07:59 AM
jaredncpoteet
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do love a 22lr but the rainbow trajectory is just hard to compensate for they way I hunt and I don't like try to range squirrels at the longer distance I like to be able to get on them fast and not have to worry about hold over. I can deal with the lack of options as far as gun and ammo as long as I get get a good accurate/ reliable pair then I will stock up on ammo

Old 01-17-2020, 08:06 AM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ultimate set up IMHO

+1 on the CZ 452. Put some good glass on it and sight in for the longer shots.
Then get an accurate .22 pistol or revolver to carry for the close ones.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:23 AM
cwlongshot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Welcome!!

For me it’s a Savage 24 22/410. I do prefer “sniping” to skattergun. But sometimes that skater barrel is nice. I don’t use a 410 as a shotgun. I use it as a rifle that shoots shot.

If your more wanting a rifle and caliber I’ll take a 17 M2 hands down.

The lil M2 is beyond accurate and devastating on tree rats while not awe full blowing them up in body shots.

Good luck

CW
Old 01-17-2020, 08:37 AM
jaredncpoteet
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
Welcome!!

For me itís a Savage 24 22/410. I do prefer ďsnipingĒ to skattergun. But sometimes that skater barrel is nice. I donít use a 410 as a shotgun. I use it as a rifle that shoots shot.

If your more wanting a rifle and caliber Iíll take a 17 M2 hands down.

The lil M2 is beyond accurate and devastating on tree rats while not awe full blowing them up in body shots.

Good luck

CW
That what I have heard about the mach2 that's why I'm so interested in them. The only rifles I can really find that are in prediction are the two Savage bolt actions and the new A17 in hm2 ( and the volquartsen..in my dreams). Are those any rifles any count ?

Old 01-17-2020, 10:53 AM
Pa22Rimfire
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredncpoteet View Post
That what I have heard about the mach2 that's why I'm so interested in them. The only rifles I can really find that are in prediction are the two Savage bolt actions and the new A17 in hm2 ( and the volquartsen..in my dreams). Are those any rifles any count ?

Last summer I bought a Savage Mark II FV 17HM2. It has the heavy barrel. I have no complaints. Mine shoots CCI a little better than Hornady but I use both. It seems to loose accuracy after about 75 rounds so I clean it more often than I would a 22. Once cleaned the accuracy comes right back. I mounted a Leupold VX Freedom 2x7 Rimfire MOA on it. Works great. I used it last fall for squirrels and even killed a couple of rabbits with it. I have heard guys complain about the stock having a low comb. I stayed away from the large objective scopes and used Millett LOW Angle-Loc rings. This combo worked fine for me. No one likes pretty rifles more than me. This one is NOT pretty by any means but it performs the required task in a very business like manner!
Old 01-17-2020, 11:39 AM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa22Rimfire View Post
Last summer I bought a Savage Mark II FV 17HM2. It has the heavy barrel. I have no complaints. Mine shoots CCI a little better than Hornady but I use both. It seems to loose accuracy after about 75 rounds so I clean it more often than I would a 22. Once cleaned the accuracy comes right back. I mounted a Leupold VX Freedom 2x7 Rimfire MOA on it. Works great. I used it last fall for squirrels and even killed a couple of rabbits with it. I have heard guys complain about the stock having a low comb. I stayed away from the large objective scopes and used Millett LOW Angle-Loc rings. This combo worked fine for me. No one likes pretty rifles more than me. This one is NOT pretty by any means but it performs the required task in a very business like manner!
What he said. I bought a Sav MkII in 17 Mach2 two years ago. It is also a HB. I dropped it into a laminated Boyd's stock and never looked back. At 100y it is as accurate as my HMR but with less meat damage. It is quieter than the other 17's, 22mag and most hot hi-vel 22's. I agree that all the 17's must be cleaned more often using the same methods you would use to clean a center fire rifle. My only complaint is the weight. I wish it had a lighter bbl profile but that is a minor issue. I have been toying with finding a CZ455 and swapping a Lilja match 17mach2 bbl. That might be a good option but would exceed your $500 budget and might not shoot any better. The little Sav will do 1/2" at 100y and if zeroed at 50y will drop about 1". Since you like the longer shots I would zero at 75 or more and that way it would be a little high at 50 and a fuzz low at 100y. Lack of ammo choice is not a big issue. I use Hornady to hunt with but have some Eley and cannot tell much difference.

Last edited by JG26_Irish; 01-17-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:40 AM
Donnie Powell
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My perfect squirrel gun a CZ 452 17mach2. I really like it for squirrel hunting.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:22 PM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Powell View Post
My perfect squirrel gun a CZ 452 17mach2. I really like it for squirrel hunting.
You are lucky to have it. I searched and searched for one of those. Is it the varmint or the American? Curious how it shoots? We started a 17 rimfire fun match one night each week at our club. I am going to start going just to compare how the rifles and ammo all perform. One of our members has a Custom Winchester model 52 fitted with a 17 mach2 bbl and a Canjar trigger that has me coveting badly.

He is an older gentleman who will sell stuff sometimes but if he agreed to sell it, I would have to rob a bank.

Irish
Old 01-17-2020, 12:25 PM
Achigan
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My savage mk2 FVSR does everything I want it to but look good(black plastic stock), but I have not a care about resting it up against a hickory or oak trunk to take a steady shot. Less into the gun means more available for glass and ammo.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:40 PM
jaredncpoteet
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great info on the Savage I will be checking those out for sure. I wonder how the accuracy is on the mk with the standard barrel in the 17hm2

Old 01-17-2020, 01:56 PM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17 Mach2 accuracy

I have attached a few 17mach2 target pics. All were shot at 50y from a bench. Field accuracy is less and dependent on skill and available rest.

The single bull is with Eley ammo.
The two bulls is Hornady. Similar but Eley is slightly better. Harder to get.
The bullet is a 17 Mach2 found under the skin on the opposite side from a chest cavity shot, It is expanded and expended all of its energy. I have found 3-4 like that so far.
Last pic is the Savage Rifle. It is topped with a Zeiss 4-16x optic.

Irish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17m2 50y eley.jpg (446.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 17m2 Hornady 50y.jpg (477.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (314.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Sav 17M2.jpg (294.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-17-2020, 02:04 PM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17M2

You can see from the pic with the squirrels in it that none of them are torn up too bad. Not all were head shots but all were from about 40-50y that day. Sometimes it tears them up more but not too bad. I consider it to be the perfect squack getter. I use the sling sometimes and the stick others. Improvised rests, etc. Have taken squirrels out to 100y with it. All were dead dead except one last week that crawled off. I think I miss judged the distance cause I missed one shot and hit on the 2nd but never found the squirrel. There was lots of big rocks with cracks and crevasses and I think it got down in one of them...