Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:32 PM
gobigkahuna
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wally world 93R17 GV

I just picked up a Savage 93R17 GV for $199 at Wally World. I've been shopping for a 17hmr and just couldn't pass up that price. Everything looked pretty good when I inspected it, but the action is super stiff and crunchy The trigger is non-AccuTrigger and basically sucks. Feels gritty and maybe 4-5 lbs. I figure at this price I can use this to learn some basic gunsmithing skills. My goals are a smooth action and 1-2 lbs trigger. Once I accomplish this I'll worry about glass bedding and other accuracy tweaks.

I've already started gathering info on the trigger mod. The Rifle Basix sear sells for just under $90 (kind of pricey for a $200 rifle) so I may try some of the other mods first. I want to be careful not to make any mods that are not reversible in case it doesn't improve things.

I went at all the sharp edges and burrs with one of the miniature stone tips from my dremmel. Didn't use the Dremmel, just the bit. It's the only fine grain stone I found in my tool box. Then gave it a liberal coat of Remm-Oil. It's better but still not silky smooth like my MkII or my CZ.

Any tips, especially links to instructional videos are welcome.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:10 AM
gobigkahuna
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I honed all the sharp edges on the bolt and disassembled it following these instructions: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=78552 While I had it apart, I cleaned and honed all the sharp edges that seemed to be grinding against each other. Lubed it with Remm Oil and then put it together. I can tell you that without the correct tools and a good vice, it was a real pain to reassemble the bolt. Put everything back together and now the bolt operates freely. Not perfect but much, much better.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:20 PM
BillMelater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A friend of mine has one with the accu-trigger that he won at a gun raffle. Its unfired and he wants $250 for it. Im tempted as it would make a nice woodchuck gun. Post a range report when you get to it. Thanks