Antique German knife - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Antique German knife

I've got an old German hunting knife that I now keep sharp with a Lansky set,
but over the last 30 years its really taken a beating...and it shows...

I'd really love to get a nice mirror shine on it, but without screwing it up even worse...
Also got Ark stones and steel wool...just wasn't sure exactly how to go about making it look like a new blade again...

What's the smartest way to restore the blade on this oldie but goodie that goes with me on every hunting trip??

Last edited by Big Shrek; 09-23-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 PM
knifemaker65
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Big Shrek, You could send it to me along with about $40 plus return shipping and I would polish it up like new for you or you could get some wet/dry sandpaper like they sell in auto parts stores and get each grit they sell from 200 to 1000 or finer up to 3000. Get a small piece of wood about 5" long and 1" wide and 1/8" thick or a popsicle stick. Cut your sand paper into strips no wider than the width of your blade and start with the lowest number of grit. Put your knife in a vise or secure it to a bench so it doesn't move and start to sand it perpendicular (across the blade) from the cutting edge to the spine of the knife. Watch that you do not cut yourself. As soon as you get the scratches out of the blade with that grit, go up one grit and sand parallel with the blade. When you get all the scratches from that grit out of the blade, go perpendicular and sand those scratches out. Then move up and go parallel then perpendicular and then continue with each grit until you get to the highest one you want to stop at. PM me if you want my address and I will do this as well as sharpen it to scary shaving sharp for you for the price I quoted.
Mike
www.redoakforge.com