Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:39 PM
trulyapostolic
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VQ MKII Finally Finished

I purchased a MarkII Target model this last year and slowly added some VQ parts for reliability and accuracy. First came the VQ accurizing kit and extended magazine release. The grips were bought off Ebay. The extractor was replaced a couple months ago. This week I picked up my new barreled receiver from Volquartsen. She's shooting a little less than an inch with the red dot @ 25yds. It was probably cheaper to have done it all in one shot directly from VQ but this is how it worked out. I can't think of anything else I'd like to do to the gun, other than put a few thousand rounds down it over the next 6 months! I have had my eye on some smooth grips from Esmeralda, but that would be about it. What do ya'll think?

I replaced the Ultradot rings with Leupold QRW for cleaning purposes.

Last edited by trulyapostolic; 07-19-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:37 AM
CZJedi

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Looks great! I like the the idea of the Esmeralda grips, too; a high end gun deserves high end grips. What type of ammo are you using to get those groups?
Old 07-19-2009, 03:50 PM
trulyapostolic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried 3 different brands this week: Remington SV, Eley Sport and Fiocchi Super Match. There was a slight edge to the Fiocchi, but I don't want to spend $7/50 rds. Gonna try some Federal Target and CCI Green Tag this week and see how they do.
The grips on the gun actually have some nice grain in them, but it's covered by the checkering. I've been thinking about getting the front strap stippled on this frame then put on the Esmeralda grips. I like the feel of checkering/stippling on my guns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 01:41 PM
trulyapostolic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot the gun again indoors @ 50 ft. a couple nights ago. It seems to be fond of CCI Green Tag. 4-10 shot groups averaged less than 1/2" ctc. This thing really shoots nice, it might become my new squirrel rifle!
I put about 400 rounds of lead ammo through it then cleaned the gun. The barrel was clean after running just a few wet patches through it. The bore still had a mirrored finish to it prior to running the first patch down it.

Last edited by trulyapostolic; 07-21-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Tbag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice. Was wondering how/where is that rail attached, receiver or barrel or both?
Old 07-25-2009, 12:25 PM
trulyapostolic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The scope base fastens to the receiver. VQ said it was their own base, but it must be the one used in conjunction with open sights. I'm going to shoot some more groups @ 25 yards today and see how she does.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:58 PM
trulyapostolic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It looks like Eley Target, CCI Green Tag and Wolf Match Extra all average around .75" for 10 shots @ 25 yards through this barrel. Eley Sport and Federal GM Target averaged well over an 1" up to 1 1/4" at the same distance. The target definitely shows that better ammo provides better results. I believe someone with more talent (it wouldn't take much) could easily outshoot the groups I did from today. This is making me consider selling my Beretta 87T and just shoot this gun from here on out.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:46 PM
hakr100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyapostolic View Post
I replaced the Ultradot rings with Leupold QRW for cleaning purposes.
When you put the ultradot back on with those quick releasers, do you have to mess with it, or does it magically go back in perfect alignment?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:06 PM
trulyapostolic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The scope returns to zero every time. I've never noticed a change in POI @ 25 yards after remounting the scope.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:07 AM
hakr100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyapostolic View Post
The scope returns to zero every time. I've never noticed a change in POI @ 25 yards after remounting the scope.
Thanks...that is very helpful.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:35 PM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Is the receiver and barrel steel or aluminum??
Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 PM
trulyapostolic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbent View Post
Is the receiver and barrel steel or aluminum??
The receiver is a factory Ruger MKII. VQ fits a new barrel, cut from a Lothar Walther blank, to it. The scope mount is aluminum, but that's it. VQ also makes an LLV which is all aluminum with a steel liner for the barrel, but that's a different setup.