New R55 Benchmark vs old - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:24 PM
BKVic
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New R55 Benchmark vs old

I have a R55 Classic and Im thinking about getting a Benchmark. Is the new R55 more accurite that the pre-R55 Benchmark. There are a few pre-R55s on gunbroker but none of the R55.

BKVic
Old 08-19-2009, 07:34 PM
beb42503

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Is the new R55 more accurate that the pre-R55 Benchmark.
My Benchmark is the pre but I will say this if the R-55 shoots any better it must be the finest .22 auto ever put on the market accuracy wise! Mine seems only limited by the factory trigger & me. I am sure I am more at issue than the trigger.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 AM
BKVic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those groups look very nice! Have any pics of 50 and 100 yards witht he Wolf MT?

BKVic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 06:41 AM
beb42503

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Have any pics of 50 and 100 yards witht he Wolf MT?
Sorry I don't but I have shot it at both yardages. Apparently that's where the trigger & me come into to play. I am guessing the factory trigger is somewhere in the 4 lb. range & I have never had it worked on. I can get groups at 50 yards under .5 and 100 yards about 1.5 inches. I also shot some Lapua Midas at 100 yards with the results being pretty much the same 1.5. As far as getting 4 good groups on 1 card like many of the online games require that is where I fall short. A lighter trigger would have to help. My Anschutz is in the oz's range & CZ is quite light also & if I take the rifles to the range together the TC trigger suffers compared to either bolt rifle.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
BKVic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I understand what you mean about the trigger. My R55 Classics trigger isnt something to write home about either, no where near as light or crisp as either of my 541s rifles.

BKVic
Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Laporte Charlie
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I had a pre R-55 Benchmark that wouldn't feed reliably. T-C replaced it with a R-55. Accuracy is about the same in the new gun but it isn't reallly broken in yet so it might get better. It's pretty darn good now. Both guns had, have a trigger pull in the 4+ lb range. I sent the trigger group from the new gun to TTtrigger and it is now a very smooth 2- lb. I just love this gun.
Charlie
Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 PM
beb42503

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
I sent the trigger group from the new gun to TTtrigger and it is now a very smooth 2- lb.
If you don't mind my asking what do they charge for this service? Do you ever have any doubling issues after the trigger job? You have my interest and they may get some more business! Thanks!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Laporte Charlie
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Don't quote me on this but I think it was $70.00 which included return shipping and insurance. Very fast turnaround. I have not experienced any doubling or any other problem what so ever. All in all a great job!
Charlie
Old 08-21-2009, 06:48 PM
hakr100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laporte Charlie View Post
I had a pre R-55 Benchmark that wouldn't feed reliably. T-C replaced it with a R-55. Accuracy is about the same in the new gun but it isn't reallly broken in yet so it might get better. It's pretty darn good now. Both guns had, have a trigger pull in the 4+ lb range. I sent the trigger group from the new gun to TTtrigger and it is now a very smooth 2- lb. I just love this gun.
Charlie
What does the "trigger group" consist of, precisely, and is there a photo available of it?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:41 AM
atomchaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakr100 View Post
What does the "trigger group" consist of, precisely, and is there a photo available of it?
If you pull the action action out of the stock, you'll notice a rectangular assembly with the trigger sticking out of the bottom that is attached to the receiver. It is held to the receiver by 6 screws. That is the trigger group. If you remove it for a trigger job, make sure you have a properly sized screw driver and considering heating the screws up a bit with a heat gun. T/C uses locktite on the screws during assembly and it's easy to tear the heads up if your not careful.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:45 AM
hakr100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomchaser View Post
If you pull the action action out of the stock, you'll notice a rectangular assembly with the trigger sticking out of the bottom that is attached to the receiver. It is held to the receiver by 6 screws. That is the trigger group. If you remove it for a trigger job, make sure you have a properly sized screw driver and considering heating the screws up a bit with a heat gun. T/C uses locktite on the screws during assembly and it's easy to tear the heads up if your not careful.
Aha! Thanks...TC calls the "trigger group" the "fire control assembly," and the current manual says there are four, not six, screws. Maybe TC dropped two?

This is from the manual:

Appreciate your help on this!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Mark Meyer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomchaser View Post
That's true, but I don't know they would use Locktite on those four screws. Those four screws that hold the action assembly ("trigger group") assure that the box is captive once it's assembled and in the stock.
I don't see where those screws could loosen up or create a problem, especially when you're going to want to remove the action assembly often for cleaning.
If you do want to go back and use Locktite when you reassemble it, I'd recommend using the "low strength" type (that's the No. 222 Locktite).

For myself, I don't intend to use Locktite on these screws specifically due to frequent disassembly for cleaning as mentioned, but I will be sure to keep an eye on them and note if any of the loosen up on their own between periods of disassembly.

Last edited by Mark Meyer; 08-23-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Laporte Charlie
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Only four screws, two on each side. No evidence of Locktite on mine.
Charlie
Old 08-24-2009, 08:16 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Fire control group shown looks the same as my Silver Lynx, the four screws holding mine on had no locktite.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:58 AM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Pre-R55

Yep! (Gary Cooper style), GMD1950 is right. My Silver Lynx has no locktite, but the Benchmark Classic does. And yes, my Benchmark Classic will outshoot the Silver Lynx. They both will shoot less than 1/2" at 50 yards out of the box. Well, with a upward pressure pad on the front of the SL. The BMC is really ammo picky. Shoots the Wolf MT very well after a few warmup shots, but really has a dislike for the Rem Target. Likes Green Tag, and Rem/Eley target, but other standard velocity LR ammo is hard to find in this area so the comparo stops here. The trigger is a little tough, but I can live with it. The Silver Lynx is my "go to" rifle and has been since I got it. ........I wish they make a bolt action .22...............Annie, who? LOL!