Dry tumbler bowl shape - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:34 PM
Captdave221
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dry tumbler bowl shape

Does it make any difference? I see FA and Berry’s use a a relative straight side bowl whereas Lyman and RCBS have curved sides.

Opinions please.

Is static cling an issue? My nephew is using a FA, likes it, says corncob media clings to tumbler bowl and the strainer bucket. May have to wait for summer for higher humidity LOL.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:42 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I use an older model Hornady with about the same shape bowl as the RCBS.
I use corn cob and have never had a problem with static cling. When I first started using it about 5 years ago I had read of using a used dryer sheet cut into 4 pieces added to each load to absorb dust. I tried it and it does work, but found a paper towel cut up works just as good, and I have them on the wall of the shop and don't have to hunt for them. You would be surprised at the amount of dirt they absorb, keeping the cob cleaner and lasting longer. Adding the paper towel may help with cling, I don't know I never tried it without it.

I usually run 200 -300 handgun brass 4 hours, and it's good to go. Clean but not spiffy shiny. It can be made shiny by adding a few drops of Nu Finish to each batch. I've done it but that shine don't make them shoot any better. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by Hawkeye57; 03-22-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:10 PM
Captdave221

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which one to buy

I can’t decide which tumbler to buy. Seems like all are Chinese and other than bowl shape and price/color of the bowl they all seem to be the same. I like the switch on the cord. I like the removable cord but don’t know if I want to pay more for something that I can modify to have both of these features.
Seems to me that the ones With curved side would have more movement/tumbling and reduce time and/or clean better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 10:03 PM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
ive only had 2 vibratory bowl polishers. Lyman 1200 and Dillon 1200. the bearing on the lyman gave up. The used dillon i bought soon after is still running.

Both bowls moved brass/media around. If you are able to watch one, see how good it moves the media/brass. i could watch the brass flow from top to bottom and back.

If you want to deal with static, cut a 1 inch square piece of anti static sheet and put in your media/brass.

i have to deal with static too, but i dont mind the media sticking to the bowl. I will scoop out the brass/media to sift.

for what its worth, walnut is for cleaning, corncob for polish. the corncob will breakdown faster. the walnut will polish somewhat, but not as good as the corncob.

If you see yourself doing ALOT of brass be it handgun/rilfe, get a LARGE tumbler. If you dont, you will be running your small one constantly.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:48 AM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I use a small bowl Lyman. When I get home it takes me just a few minutes to pop primers and toss brass into the bowl. I use lizard litter from the pet store. A quarter of a dryer sheet and a cap ful of McQuires car polish (not wax) for an hour and you get a pretty good clean, if you want like brand new looking, three hours.

I will run the same media several times and then toss for new, cleaning the bowl at the same time. The dust is jut the media breaking down, annoying it is. It is worse in dry climates, but I will take low humidity any day.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:08 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been using a Lyman for years with walnut hulls for media and a dryer sheet to collect dust. Don't see a need to upgrade to ultrasonic or the ones using the steel media.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:14 AM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some say theirs cleans better/faster and others say different. I'd say you are worrying about nothing and need to focus on size/quality/price. If just starting on a budget get a budget machine. Otherwise, buy one of the top names...they all tumble fine. Dillion is the benchmark and what you see at reloading shops and on hardcore reloader benches. Lots of people use the inexpensive FA and HF vibrators with ok results too. If you haven't used a vibrator before take note they are really loud compared to rotary tumblers with rubber barrels and rubber drive belts.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:29 PM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use dryer sheets cut up in my tumbler and it works fine for dust and static. I also use a 50/50 combo of walnut and corn cob media.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:37 PM
ipscxtc
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been running a Lyman for probably 25 years. The weight came loose a couple of years ago but it went right back on after a bit of disassembly.

Used walnut for years then for some reason bought corn cob. Used it for a while and went back to walnut. Walnut is a lot faster with a little bit of a satin finish. I just want my brass clean and fast. High polish is for sellers.

i
Old 03-28-2020, 11:08 AM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walnut here too and I don't care about shine. Lyman's or Dillion's works best for me because of the size. I tried the pet store type but it kept getting stuck in my brass. I de-prime before tumbling.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walnut blast media from Harbor Freight here in my FA. Does well for me.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:33 AM
Captdave221

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walnut media

Are you guys using Nu-Finish in the walnut media?
Old 03-29-2020, 09:16 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Never tried it in walnut, but as I said in post#2 I have used it in corn cob. I don't use it any more, just because the extra shine don't up my scores.

When I did use it I mixed a small amount, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 oz, with a little mineral spirits to thin it. That helped it mix into the media, and reduced it from clumping.

The .357 brass in this picture is on it's 12 loading, and has been tumbled in untreated Lyman corn cob for 4 hours before each loading.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a few coffee cans with different mixtures. One for real dirty range freebees has Ajax. Another can has brass polish added. The plain Walnut media gets used the most. I'm not after the bling look rather trying to prevent from bringing dirt into my dies.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:32 PM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
I have a few coffee cans with different mixtures. One for real dirty range freebees has Ajax. Another can has brass polish added. The plain Walnut media gets used the most. I'm not after the bling look rather trying to prevent from bringing dirt into my dies.
How does your case do after using the brass polish? I have always heard that brass polish, especially Brasso, should not be used since the ammonia in it makes the brass brittle.