Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:49 PM
justinp61
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unertl Scope?

I'm going to look at a rifle tomorrow with a 24X Unertl on it. Is there anything to watch out for on these scopes?

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:07 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Condition is everything.
Look good outwardly; ie, well cared for
Does it have crosshairs!
No dents in tube or bells
No chips or flares around the outer edges of the lenses like there can be if it took a hit
Flakes or blotches on/in the lenses, signs of delamination
Clear, crisp image at the distance the AO is set for
And check the lock down screws of the mounts to the bases. Id want the scope dismounted to check they 'match' screws to the base cuts. Ive seen them not match and the screws over-torqued (damaged) on tightening to the wrong bases.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:15 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2020, 08:04 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
gcrank1 gives you good solid information. I'll just add a couple of things I look for besides what he has mentioned. Look for any evidence that the coating is coming off the inner scope tube or bells. Sometimes this can be seen as small dark colored "flakes" on the inside of the lenses. The crosshairs must not only be present but also straight. I look thru the scope with a small LED flashlight both ways looking for anything out of sorts. I place the flashlight on the opposite end of the scope and look towards the light, not directly at it but off to the side, from the other end of the scope. You would be amazed at what you find sometimes that isn't right. Just a word about the reticle. If the reticle isn't right it isn't a big deal really. They can easily be repaired. Where the trick comes in with reticle repair or replacement is if you want to add a center dot to it. A 24X Unertl scope is very desirable to a lot of people especially benchrest shooters. Lens condition and tube condition is paramount.

Rick H.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:56 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the input guys. I bought the rifle (40XS) and scope. The scope seems to be in good oreder, it's clear and the reticle is good. I've cleaned it good and shot a little, just need to remove the trigger and clean it too. Then I'll see if I bought a shooter.

Justin
Old 03-02-2020, 09:45 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine had some lense seperation or some such. that would be the objective lense end. When you tried to do an adj the lense would move one way but when you twisted to 'pull back' the lense would not follow.

There used to be a Parsons Scope repair in a burb of Cincinnatti. I dont think they are in business any longer. They wee very good on repairs, not cheap but good.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:38 PM
Sandy22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
Mine had some lense seperation or some such. that would be the objective lense end. When you tried to do an adj the lense would move one way but when you twisted to 'pull back' the lense would not follow.
Are you sure you're operating the locking ring correctly?
Old 03-16-2020, 09:10 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Without hauling mine out of the safe, I don't think the lens assembly is pulled back as you say, I think it is pushed back by the ring. I will look and verify later.
Rick H.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:48 AM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
Without hauling mine out of the safe, I don't think the lens assembly is pulled back as you say, I think it is pushed back by the ring. I will look and verify later.
Rick H.
Mine has a ring on either side of what I'm guessing is the assembly that is holding the objective lens. The two rings push the lens assembly in opposite directions. If the objective is set at 50 yards and I want to go to 100 yards I turn the front ring to where the mark on it aligns with the 100 yard mark on the housing then turn the rear ring to push the objective lens assembly against the front ring. To go back to 50 I would back the rear ring off a few turns then use the front ring to push the lens assembly back to the 50 yard mark on the housing. Then snug up the rear ring to the lens assembly.

I hope this makes sense.