MTR 22LR 2.5 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:17 PM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

I love my MTR and would buy it again. I shoot it in competition against much more expensive rifles and do just as good.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:57 AM
Off-target

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyman_ar View Post
Title should read 20.5.....
Been salivating like Pavlov's dog since I spotted this rifle. However...after reading mixed reviews of the 457 platform...I'm back on the fence...MTR owners...would you buy again? Why/Why not.....

Yes, I would. I always thought that my other CZ's were accurate, but the MTR is in a totally different class.

In terms of value for money, it cannot be beaten. I have Anschutz match rifles costing a few k's each, but the relatively cheap and cheerful MTR gives them a very close run for 1/4 of the cost.

What's not to like!
Old 02-02-2020, 06:55 AM
BirdieBirdie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The stock.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:36 AM
CaptBill252

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
I love my MTR and would buy it again. I shoot it in competition against much more expensive rifles and do just as good.
How long are your barrels.??

That is important to a few others and myself.
My 457 MTR is 20.5. And a bug hole maker.

I have often thought about another,... (in a CZ stupor), a MTR with a 16 inch barrel.
We are talking about a match chamber here, also.
Since I acquired a Royal with the 16 inch barrel, my mind goes places, when I shoot the Royal.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:39 AM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
20.5*

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2020, 09:40 PM
skipper
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MTR

Buy one you will not regret it.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:48 PM
randyman_ar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You guys have convinced me. Hopefully by March 1st. Thanks for the input...
Old 02-03-2020, 10:55 PM
Pianoplayer1939
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I owned the 457 mtr - got rid of it - u can’t expect to get Anschutz accuracy 1/2 the price - hammer forged bbl - the cheapest way to make a barrel - trigger that I was unable to adjust under a lb.- even with a “ yo Dave ” spring and a stock that was just so awkward in the grip for me felt like I had hold of a ball bat - I’ve seen 4 of them at our club - and none of them with consistent accuracy
Old 02-04-2020, 01:14 PM
291'r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would buy again .... that is my opinion after yesterdays trip to the range, which was also the first time out with it. I replaced the trigger spring with the YoDave spring and adjusted the sear, my scale starts at 8 oz and the trigger breaks before that. (passes the bump test)

It was a cool morning 0 degrees Celsius, but relatively calm. I was gifted some Eley Match 1067 fps so I started with that. My plan is to primarily shoot this at the 100 meter rimfire matches at our local club. At 100 meters my best 10 shot group was approx. 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" ... this was with the action screws torqued to 20 in lbs., most other groups showed an increase in vertical stringing as I increased the torque. Looking forward to the next trip where I plan to experiment more with the action screws.

I do find that the barrel seems to be a little skewed sitting in the stock ... somewhat pointing left. But when I slip a dollar bill under the barrel it does not catch on any of the stock. So don't really know if this is a variable or not. The stock definitely is thicker at the grip than I expected ... not necessarily a good or bad thing, just different for me. I do think it is well made, the action was smooth, no misfires and no ejection issues. Would like to find a single shot adapter for though.

cheers, Derreck
Old 02-04-2020, 03:51 PM
tejano51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got off the procrastination fence today and came home with my MTR.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:08 PM
45ACP223

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
[QUOTE=291'r;
I do find that the barrel seems to be a little skewed sitting in the stock ... somewhat pointing left. But when I slip a dollar bill under the barrel it does not catch on any of the stock. So don't really know if this is a variable or not. The stock definitely is thicker at the grip than I expected ... not necessarily a good or bad thing, just different for me. I do think it is well made, the action was smooth, no misfires and no ejection issues. Would like to find a single shot adapter for though.
cheers, Derreck[/QUOTE]

Mine seemed a little skewed to the left also when I got it. I loosened the receiver bolts aligned and re-torqued and it is straight now. You can wedge some cleaning patches in on the left side to hold it where you want it while tightening if that helps.

Buds has CZ single shot adapters ($16) or you can order them here in the classified section under 22 Other. One of the members prints them in various colors, I think about $14.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:00 PM
skwerl457

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Been salivating like Pavlov's dog since I spotted this rifle. However...after reading mixed reviews of the 457 platform...I'm back on the fence...MTR owners...would you buy again? Why/Why not.....
Greetings Randy

Get off that fence ..!
I shoot a CZ 457 MTR .22 , 16'' barrel (xlnt gun) it is edged out by my Sako P94S Finnfire .22 , 23'' barrel.
Also my MTR .17 HMR 20.5'' barrel is a dream to shoot ,I have a couple CZ 455's nice guns but not near the 457 .

I cannot compare the Anschutz but my Cooper 57M Varminter is a toss up with the CZ 457 MTR at 200 mtrs ........ cheers skwerl
Old 02-04-2020, 09:07 PM
skwerl457

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Greetings Randy

Get off that fence ..!
I shoot a CZ 457 MTR .22 , 16'' barrel (xlnt gun) it is edged out by my Sako P94S Finnfire .22 , 23'' barrel.
Also my MTR .17 HMR 20.5'' barrel is a dream to shoot ,I have a couple CZ 455's nice guns but not near the 457 .

I cannot compare the Anschutz but my Cooper 57M Varminter is a toss up with the CZ 457 MTR at 200 mtrs ........ cheers skwerl
Old 02-05-2020, 07:34 PM
AIRGUNSHAWN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I would absolutely buy the CZ 457 rifles again. I have three of them!!
I have lapped the trigger and replaced the trigger spring on all of them. They break at 10 oz.
Real good quality for the money.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:00 PM
AIRGUNSHAWN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoplayer1939 View Post
I owned the 457 mtr - got rid of it - u can’t expect to get Anschutz accuracy 1/2 the price - hammer forged bbl - the cheapest way to make a barrel - trigger that I was unable to adjust under a lb.- even with a “ yo Dave ” spring and a stock that was just so awkward in the grip for me felt like I had hold of a ball bat - I’ve seen 4 of them at our club - and none of them with consistent accuracy
I'm shocked that you had such bad luck. My 457 MTR shoots so well that I put a Trijicon 5-50x56 MOA on her. Shoots pretty close to my Vudoo and always consistent. When you install the Yo-Dave spring, you have to make certain that the spring gets located properly into the housing or your spring pre-load will stay high. It seems like the factory spring is .028 wire diameter. Dave's wire is .018" and I have used .014". My three triggers are at 10 oz. I sent KOD a kit with some springs, 3 and 9 micron lapping film and lubricants for his 457 and he told me just last week that he is getting a safe 6 oz. If I could post photo's of the trigger sear you would see an absolute mirror like finish. I can get a kit to anyone who wants one. I have post of the trigger jobs on SH.