Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:39 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
When Ruger had something that has worked for so many years, I don't know why they messed with it! Kind of like the rolled steel firing pin stop from several years ago.
Agreed, to save a few pennies. There have been a lot of debates about dry firing on this forum. Maybe now people finally get the point. It is more stress on the gun, any gun. Any style stop or pin.

When I use a bolt anchor or dummy, I rotate it each firing to a fresh spot.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
... anyone with the original firing pin might want to have a strict zero dry fire regiment. And strip the bolt after every range session or outing with the pistol.
It really shouldn't matter which style firing pin you have - this is just good advice.

However, it's pretty difficult to develop the discipline of "strictly zero dry fire". On previous models, you had to dry fire to take the bolt out. With any model, you have to dry fire to "never store the pistol cocked".

I started with using spent rounds rotated away from previous FP hits. This was bad because it sprays more burnt priming mix into your freshly cleaned barrel. Then I went to the drywall anchors and they were better. But they're not always convenient, so there's always the temptation to dry fire without one "just this once". Kind of like teenage sex without birth control. It doesn't always work out the way you hoped.

My newest mod makes enforcing the "strict zero dry fire regiment" very easy. No excuse to ever dry fire, and it's actually kind of fun not to. You can read about my mod in this new sticky:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums....php?t=1007265
Old 10-06-2017, 07:03 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
It really shouldn't matter which style firing pin you have - this is just good advice.

However, it's pretty difficult to develop the discipline of "strictly zero dry fire". On previous models, you had to dry fire to take the bolt out. With any model, you have to dry fire to "never store the pistol cocked".

I started with using spent rounds rotated away from previous FP hits. This was bad because it sprays more burnt priming mix into your freshly cleaned barrel. Then I went to the drywall anchors and they were better. But they're not always convenient, so there's always the temptation to dry fire without one "just this once". Kind of like teenage sex without birth control. It doesn't always work out the way you hoped.

My newest mod makes enforcing the "strict zero dry fire regiment" very easy. No excuse to ever dry fire, and it's actually kind of fun not to. You can read about my mod in this new sticky:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums....php?t=1007265
These firing can be done with a wall anchor. In the old days it was a spent case. No need to choose between storing the gun cocked or dry firing.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
When I dry fire before keeping any gun, I pull the bolt back then pull the trigger. I do this with any gun I own and it works even with my AR15.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:25 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdm9mm View Post
When I dry fire before keeping any gun, I pull the bolt back then pull the trigger. I do this with any gun I own and it works even with my AR15.
You mean like with a bolt action, where you lower the bolt with the trigger pulled?

I did not know anything like this or that was possible with a semi auto due to the disconnector? I am going to need a little more verbage.

I might have been unclear on my experience, I never intentionally dry fire any gun. It does happens. Not that rare. Some dont stay open after the last shot, (by design or a weak spring) or some times a misfeed, it should not be a problem on a modern firearm. The MK used to have a reputation as built like a tank. Not so much any more. They should be offering replacements to everyone, good replacements with an explanation.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:44 AM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
You mean like with a bolt action, where you lower the bolt with the trigger pulled?

I did not know anything like this or that was possible with a semi auto due to the disconnector? I am going to need a little more verbage.

I might have been unclear on my experience, I never intentionally dry fire any gun. It does happens. Not that rare. Some dont stay open after the last shot, (by design or a weak spring) or some times a misfeed, it should not be a problem on a modern firearm. The MK used to have a reputation as built like a tank. Not so much any more. They should be offering replacements to everyone, good replacements with an explanation.

Yes, like on the Mark IV, I pull the bolt backwards until there is little room for the hammer to slam the firing pin, then pull the trigger. You will hear a click and feel the "force".
Old 10-07-2017, 01:31 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can pull it back less than 1/4 inch and drop the hammer. Is that what you mean. I think the hammer still hits the firing pin. Maybe there is a sweet spot. Or with the angle the hammer does not make a good hit on the pin. I understand.

This would be the old trick to safeguard the chamber face on some old 22 pistols.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:33 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
I can pull it back less than 1/4 inch and drop the hammer. Is that what you mean. I think the hammer still hits the firing pin. Maybe there is a sweet spot. Or with the angle the hammer does not make a good hit on the pin. I understand.

This would be the old trick to safeguard the chamber face on some old 22 pistols.
The hammer still hits the firing pin, but if you find the sweet spot, the farthest you can pull the bolt while it still allows you to pull the trigger, the impact will be much less.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:47 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I'd guess that the average MKIV owner rarely dry fires and puts less than 500 rounds per year through it.

Thus, Ruger rarely sees a broken firing pin on the relatively new MKIV.

Just as they say.

That, however, does not mean they don't have a firing pin problem.
I am not convinced the 'average' person would even know they had a broken firing pin. It will stay in the bolt and the gun will still fire. Or am I wrong? I upgraded mine before I might find out.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:27 AM
VGEHTS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I am guessing, too get a mark this deep meant the damage occurred at a time when there was nothing in the chamber to cushion the impact of the broken pin. Maybe it was broke for a while. Not that this is any forgiveness for Ruger, but; anyone with the original firing pin might want to have a strict zero dry fire regiment. And strip the bolt after every range session or outing with the pistol.

More food for thought. If some one dry fired multiple times in a row with a broken firing pin, that dent could get deeper and deeper.
I agree....
Old 10-08-2017, 10:42 PM
stewswanson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are correct

Yes, you would not know because the pin does not fall out and it will still fire a round. First clue I had was that a round would not feed up from the mag. because the firing pin was sticking out of the bolt and not allowing the round to pop up into the bolt recess.

Quote:
I am not convinced the 'average' person would even know they had a broken firing pin. It will stay in the bolt and the gun will still fire. Or am I wrong? I upgraded mine before I might find out.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:09 PM
Teuthis
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two Mark IV pistols and have so far not experienced any issues with them. In fact they seem to be exceptionally well made firearms. I hope this status quo lasts. I have dry-fired both of them a few times but not excessively.

Last edited by Teuthis; 10-14-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 10-14-2017, 09:38 PM
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthis View Post
I have two Mark IV pistols and have so far not experienced any issues with them. In fact they seem to be exceptionally well made firearms. I hope this status quo lasts. I have dry-fired both of them a few times but not excessively.
How many rounds do you have through them?
Old 10-15-2017, 01:32 AM
22MaltLiquor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When mine broke i was able to fire several rounds but I started having fail to ejects. The spent cartridge casing were difficult to remove. Thatís when I noticed the breech damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk