Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

I e-mailed Volquartsen to ask if their firing pin would work on the MK IV and they responded yes (on a Sunday morning!). I've got one on order, along with their extractor. I figured might as well do them both while the bolt is apart since it is so hard to disassemble the MK IV.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:59 AM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just installed their firing pin and it works fine. Volquartsen should send a thank you letter to Ruger for all the business they are getting from them.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:53 PM
bulkhead1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I heard back from Ruger today about the broken firing pin and breech face damage. They are going to replace the pistol. They will send it through my local FFL dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2017, 09:07 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
tanderkross titanium firing pin

just installed it in my MKIV stainless target, a breeze, I decided to do it BEFORE the factory pin broke, if it ever did! LOL. I would rather be safe than sorry. no sense in sending the pistol back to RUGER AGAIN. only one hole in the TK pin, and the titanium feels very slippery.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:13 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkhead1 View Post
Well I heard back from Ruger today about the broken firing pin and breech face damage. They are going to replace the pistol. They will send it through my local FFL dealer.
I know you feel better to hear that. wonder what firing pin you will get in the new pistol? I wonder if the new production pistols have the "S" on the safety? all these defects must be costing Ruger big bucks, bet their stock is dropping right now! this is the FIRST Ruger I have owned that has had problems, and I have owned probably 30 different ones over my 55 year shooting history!
Old 09-15-2017, 09:20 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking RIGHT..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongochicago View Post
More importantly, they had the safety recall, the extractors need replacing, and now the firing pin troubles. WHAT'S NEXT??? As much as I like the gun overall, seems like Ruger really screwed up in making this one. Maybe they should have done a more thorough product testing before starting production. Seems like they now have the attitude of "just put it out there and if people send it back with problems, we'll just fix it. Really disappointed with Ruger on this one.
I am disappointed over the MKIV , I should have waited a year before buying but I was so "hot to trot" over the new pistol I took the plunge. I love the MKIV, but working out the bugs isn't good. I think mine is good to go NOW, Ruger is sending me some extra rubber hinge plugs, I am waiting to see how long this fragile part lasts.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:23 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1xty7 View Post
The number of reports of broken firing pins has me a little concerned. I noticed the old pins being replaced by the new but I believe the Volquartsen firing pin still only has one hole and I've only seen positive reviews of that (although not so much their extractor). I placed an order for one of the Volquartsen pins and will have to see how it compares. Probably just me being overly paranoid.

On a side note, I appreciate all the work Ruger does to fix the problems, but I'd prefer not to have the problems to begin with.
better to be safe than sorry. they are doing excellent fixing the problems, but, maybe there should not be any problems. oh well ,life is short.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I've got the 22/45 version, so no rubber bumper on mine, but I have noticed the polymer offers a bit of resistance as the pistol snaps shut, which tells me Ruger built a little preload into the polymer frame. If I had a metal framed version, I'd bed underneath the receiver behind the hinge with some Steelbed.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:42 PM
bulkhead1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
I know you feel better to hear that. wonder what firing pin you will get in the new pistol? I wonder if the new production pistols have the "S" on the safety? all these defects must be costing Ruger big bucks, bet their stock is dropping right now! this is the FIRST Ruger I have owned that has had problems, and I have owned probably 30 different ones over my 55 year shooting history!
Thanks, it will be nice to have a new pistol. I will check the firing pin first thing. I have a Volquartsen replacement ready to go if it is the same style pin.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:52 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got mine back with the same replacement firing pin as before. No difference. I think I'm going to order a new firing pin from Tandemkross.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:56 PM
bulkhead1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also experienced the loose frame to receiver fit, I had asked them to check that too.

Last edited by bulkhead1; 09-28-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:59 PM
bulkhead1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry, the picture was of the breech face damage caused by the broken firing pin
Old 09-15-2017, 11:14 PM
stewswanson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Breech

Good picture. Thanks.
Stew
Old 09-16-2017, 06:30 AM
flphotog
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkhead1 View Post
Thanks, it will be nice to have a new pistol. I will check the firing pin first thing. I have a Volquartsen replacement ready to go if it is the same style pin.

I'd put the Volquartsen firing pin, no matter what Ruger sends you the Volquartsen version will be a much better part that the one from Ruger.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:07 AM
bulkhead1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like good advise.