Broken Firing Pin - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Any mechanical product, when first released, is essentially a beta-version. I fully accept any weak points that have been unmasked in the early Mark IV series, because everything can be fixed by simply replacing a part at Ruger's expense. The engineers can't think of everything in advance, and first year models will always use customer experience as a final test for weak points.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:27 PM
bulkhead1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well Ruger received my pistol today. I sent them the broken firing pin. I'm curious to see what they are going to do about the peened barrel. Hopefully they will replace it.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:35 PM
stewswanson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger should notify users of the new pins

Ruger could and should notify users of the new pins that they are likely to break
and could damage the Breech. They have the database of purchasers of Mk.4's and people (Like myself)who bought one on Ruger's parts site. They could potentially save themselves some money and definitely save the customer from
future trouble. Most of these pins don't have enough cycles on them to fail but they may soon.
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Yes, the reason is where the lightening hole is placed. The Mark IV firing pins do break, Ruger is aware, and it's quite obvious. Got nothing to do with semantics. There's less support in the area of breakage. The cause has not been found to be brittleness, which has been proven by an independent source and a couple of DEGREED engineers ( real ones ). Wilson hardness testers are designed to check hardness, and THEY, don't lie. Nobody has proven the cause of breakage is because the firing pins are too hard, or brittle. Nobody.
Some may try to argue that wayward theory all year long, but it doesn't prove to be the case.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-cooled View Post
Perhaps rather than arguing about semantics, we can just agree that the firing pin is made weaker due to the hole. We can all relate to that.

Yeah, but recall that in this thread: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=828346
the one you refer to "thoroughly tested" these firing pins because "he wouldn't subject FAILURES on his customers". (post #12).

He, he...well I was just trying to find common ground between the two of you, not taking sides. While I'm not an engineer by degree, I have taken a number of courses in physics and metals, and I understand the concepts of brittleness, hardness, ductility, and tensile strength. I have a degree in chemistry. Obviously the hole in the pin means less metal and less strength...something anyone can comprehend and agree to. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if it is too brittle and there is too little metal, it breaks with a crack...and if it is too ductile and there is too little metal, it bends. The correct combination of properties for lasting strength may be impossible to obtain if there is too little metal due to the presence of a hole.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:28 PM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Any mechanical product, when first released, is essentially a beta-version. I fully accept any weak points that have been unmasked in the early Mark IV series, because everything can be fixed by simply replacing a part at Ruger's expense. The engineers can't think of everything in advance, and first year models will always use customer experience as a final test for weak points.
I have to disagree somewhat. If Ruger wants me to beta test their product I expect them to send me a paycheck. I did not spend my money to do their work for them. And to constantly be sending the gun in for repairs ( or the parts for exchange) is ridiculous. This shows that we have become too acceptance of substandard production. I come from a time when constant problems like this would be intolerable and could ruin a company. But now it seems to be the norm. Also, one type of problem may be forgivable, but now there are 3 and who knows what is to come? I have always liked Ruger products and have owned many. But now my confidence in them has been shaken.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We often hear "don't buy a product in its first year of production." No different here. I don't see a lot of folks selling their pistol because of the recall. No big deal to me since my safety always worked and my firing pin never broke. Gun works great. Will I change the firing pin when a solid one becomes available (for free from Ruger)? Of course.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Brent

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Nice to know ahead of time that the new style firing pin could break. A bit annoying with all the back and forth posts as to why it broke. I think the photo makes things pretty clear. I will put a firing pin in without that round void where the crack/break occurred. Maybe that will take care of the potential problem. Now on to something more interesting.

Brent
Old 09-07-2017, 08:45 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Question firing pin replacement

how hard a job would this be? I don't like taking any of my guns apart any more than I have to!! I haven't put enough rounds through my stainless target to break a firing pin. maybe ruger will notify owners and send them a replacement firing pin. my MKIV is an early one with the WBR serial number prefix, made in 2016.i have done the safety recall already!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Brent

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
how hard a job would this be? I don't like taking any of my guns apart any more than I have to!! I haven't put enough rounds through my stainless target to break a firing pin. maybe ruger will notify owners and send them a replacement firing pin. my MKIV is an early one with the WBR serial number prefix, made in 2016.i have done the safety recall already!
Simple to change out. Skip to 1:30 in this video.

http://youtu.be/T0M6A8nINH8

Brent
Old 09-07-2017, 09:12 PM
frozen
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very easy to replace ,, I have a few new ones still from my mark iii laying around ,I will put in my mark iv lite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 09:20 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink ME TOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
You guys have convinced me and I just ordered a TandemKross Ti replacement firing pin for my MkIV Target. For less than $30 delivered it's cheap insurance. I don't dry fire my gun very often but better to be safe.
I am looking at the TK pin also, their site has excellent installation video. I think I will go ahead and replace before the pin breaks and messes up something else! with the easy take down of the MKIV even I can handle the replacement of the firing pin. looks so simple even a caveman can do it!! LOL. I have already done the recall and I see no need in sending my pistol off AGAIN. I hope no OTHER PROBLEMS crop up on my favorite .22 pistol.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:11 AM
goldenpony

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I too installed a TK "Fire Starter" Ti firing pin in my MKIV Target. Cheap insurance and a super easy install.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:25 AM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any history of problems with the TK which is more "brittle" than steel?
Old 09-08-2017, 07:57 AM
KTGunsmithing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Any history of problems with the TK which is more "brittle" than steel?
No issues. They have (very good) sponsored shooters using them who consider 90 rds a warm up, not a reliability test.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:10 AM
RetiredTwice

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Now on to something more interesting.

Brent
Amen