The "I still want to argue about whether I should participate in the recall" thread - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:27 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren_10 View Post
No, the stock hammer bushing has a stop collar on it so I only put the spacer on the hammer strut pin head side (L/H side). (I think the hammer would still function OK without the spacer, the hammer would pretty well self center unless manually pushed over to the side.

The spacer is mainly to hold the strut pin in place as the stock mag safety holds that pin in on the stock Ruger hammer.
oK, that all makes sense. I now remember that detail on the right side of the ruger bushing. I guess, I wandered a bit afield.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:34 PM
bren_10
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
oK, that all makes sense. I now remember that detail on the right side of the ruger bushing. I guess, I wandered a bit afield.
The problem with the spacer (or washers) is it has to be pretty precision, if the spacer OD is too small it won't hold the pin head in & if the OD is too large the spacer protrudes into the sear notch. (not much wiggle room on this)
Old 07-02-2017, 09:09 PM
GunninDave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Recall Time

Does anybody have a rough turnaround time for the recall? I received a confirmation email on June 15th but have heard nothing since. I am wondering how long Ruger will drag this out.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:42 PM
polarys425

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunninDave View Post
Does anybody have a rough turnaround time for the recall? I received a confirmation email on June 15th but have heard nothing since. I am wondering how long Ruger will drag this out.
"drag this out" How so? They are sending box's out in such a way as to not bring in too many at one time. Their goal is a one week turn around on each grip frame sent in.

In the mean time, you can shoot your gun. Otherwise you could be without it for weeks while they work through them if they were all sent in at once.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:49 PM
bren_10

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
If you are looking for a "one-size-fits-all" proposition, you're looking in the wrong place. Manufactured parts are allowed tolerances. Those tolerances need to be catered to. That's just the way it is.
I'm not LOOKING for anything "just stating a fact" as I already machined the spacer a while back.

I was just stating for future readers that the spacer tolerance is pretty tight to have it large enough to hold the pin head in place but not so large as to intrude into the sear notch.

The other alternative is to make a "D" shaped spacer that can't spin but that is a lot more work & not needed if the spacer OD is controlled properly.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:13 PM
MarkB1
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When Springfield recalled all their XD-S pistols it took months and they didn't use the staggered method Ruger is using. I had to wait 2 months to get mine back. I fully expect Ruger's recall to go on for months. Ruger is doing the recall in a manner that won't inconvenience the owner too much. Ruger's target is a week or so.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:41 AM
dtp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It has to be a boring time for the Ruger techs... "Oh great. Another frame."
Old 07-03-2017, 08:48 AM
bren_10

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post
It has to be a boring time for the Ruger techs... "Oh great. Another frame."
Maybe not, I would imagine that Ruger had just enough tecs on staff to handle the normal day to day repairs & normal customer send-in's.

My guess is that Ruger has hired some temporary help to handle the large number of recall returns.

If Ruger does this I hope they have experienced inspectors to look the guns over (safety check) before returning to the customers.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:32 AM
MarkB1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren_10 View Post
Maybe not, I would imagine that Ruger had just enough tecs on staff to handle the normal day to day repairs & normal customer send-in's.

My guess is that Ruger has hired some temporary help to handle the large number of recall returns.

If Ruger does this I hope they have experienced inspectors to look the guns over (safety check) before returning to the customers.

Here is a post I did on another forum.

called Ruger Prescott just now and I asked them what their target was for getting the updated MK IVs back to the customers. I spoke to a nice lady who let me know that Ruger has pulled personnel from the production lines to work the recall. She said she normally works on 1911 barrels. She also said she thought there was a limit on just how many frames Ruger would be allowed to send out daily. She did say that Ruger wants to get 1000 frames out daily once they are in full swing. She also confirmed Rugers intent to keep the frames for no more than one week.

So, as we know, this recall will take months. Not unexpected due to the number of MK IVs they have sold.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:19 PM
goldenpony

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, my frame is at the post office in Prescott and my VQ sear is at the post office in Carroll, Ia. Hopefully, things will start moving toward completion tomorrow. I can't wait to get my gun back together and shooting again.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:06 PM
GreggK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenpony View Post
Well, my frame is at the post office in Prescott and my VQ sear is at the post office in Carroll, Ia. Hopefully, things will start moving toward completion tomorrow. I can't wait to get my gun back together and shooting again.
My MkIV is sitting at the Prescott PO as well. They tried to deliver on Saturday but said that the business was closed and would be delivered next business day. I guess Monday wasn't a business day because it still sits at the PO.

Hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow so they can get it done.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:24 PM
shamrock12
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggK View Post
My MkIV is sitting at the Prescott PO as well. They tried to deliver on Saturday but said that the business was closed and would be delivered next business day. I guess Monday wasn't a business day because it still sits at the PO.

Hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow so they can get it done.
That is because Ruger is closed on Monday and Tuesday for the holiday.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
USPS was open and delivered mail on Monday.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:50 PM
goldenpony

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-cooled View Post
USPS was open and delivered mail on Monday.
Yup, P.O. was open Monday, but Ruger wasn't
Old 07-05-2017, 03:54 PM
MarkB1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just received this email from Ruger titled "Ruger Update"

Dear Mark,

You signed up for the Mark IV™ recall several weeks ago, and we wanted to update you on the status. We now have parts in stock and have started shipping boxes to customers like you. You were among the first Mark IV™ owners to sign up for the recall, so you will be among the first to receive your box and shipping instructions. If you have not already received a package from Ruger containing your box and shipping instructions, you can expect to receive one soon. When you do, simply follow the shipping instructions and send us your grip frame assembly. We will make every effort to return your grip frame assembly within one week of receiving it from you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this process.

Very Truly Yours,
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

I'm still waiting for my two boxes.