The "I still want to argue about whether I should participate in the recall" thread - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:05 PM
JohnSC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The "I still want to argue about whether I should participate in the recall" thread

I paid to have a Volquartsen kit installed on my Mark IV. Now I have to pay to have it removed so I can return the pistol for the recall repairs. And then I get to pay to have the upgrade installed again. And Ruger offers me a magazine??
Old 06-27-2017, 06:11 PM
Grizzman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll do the work for 1/2 of what your Smith is charging
Old 06-27-2017, 06:12 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
So, I take it you're not happy about this? Or was there some other point you were making that I missed?

Old 06-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Grizzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is my guess. I suppose I missed the announcement that the work must be done by a certified gunsmith.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:18 PM
frhook2
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
mark 4

Old 06-27-2017, 06:18 PM
Bdwbiggdogg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well volquartsen has nothing to do with what ruger does !Plus most people put the kit in there self I installed it in 2 mark iii and was going to put it in my mark iv just hadn't got to it yet ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Grizzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe he thought there weren't enough threads on the recall subject.

I counted them at one point last weekend, and I think I found 20.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:43 PM
ShakeyHand

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
uh-oh! time to go out an play again...
Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 PM
Grizzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess we're done picking on our new member.

It's been reported here that Ruger doesn't require the grip frames sent in for the new safety and sear to be fully assembled and functional.

Simply slide a few pins out of the frame and put all the stock parts into a small pile. Put the Volquartsen parts, except for the sear, into a zip lock bag. Put the Volquartsen sear in a box and send it to them for modification, and put the other Volquartsen parts under your pillow.

The Ruger parts that came out of the frame can be added to the other Ruger parts that were removed when the smith initially installed the kit. These parts can go into a bag with the frame when it's sent to Ruger. Ruger will return the grip frame fully installed and ready for use.

How you get the Volquartsen kit reinstalled is up to you, but there's no way I'm gonna pay a smith to perform a task as easy as this.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:01 PM
hooverjc
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Well said, the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
I guess we're done picking on our new member.

It's been reported here that Ruger doesn't require the grip frames sent in for the new safety and sear to be fully assembled and functional.

Simply slide a few pins out of the frame and put all the stock parts into a small pile. Put the Volquartsen parts, except for the sear, into a zip lock bag. Put the Volquartsen sear in a box and send it to them for modification, and put the other Volquartsen parts under your pillow.

The Ruger parts that came out of the frame can be added to the other Ruger parts that were removed when the smith initially installed the kit. These parts can go into a bag with the frame when it's sent to Ruger. Ruger will return the grip frame fully installed and ready for use.

How you get the Volquartsen kit reinstalled is up to you, but there's no way I'm gonna pay a smith to perform a task as easy as this.
Just what you said, got my first box of five today. Excellent package from Ruger for the recall. I say they are doing in an excellent manner, thanks Ruger!
Old 06-27-2017, 09:08 PM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
It is easy to remove the VQ parts, then if you are not fmailiar with putting the ruger parts back, you can just send the things unassembled... someone in here already called and asked ruger if that can be done and the answer from ruger was yes, youi can send the parts unassembled.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:00 PM
polarys425

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSC View Post
I paid to have a Volquartsen kit installed on my Mark IV. Now I have to pay to have it removed so I can return the pistol for the recall repairs. And then I get to pay to have the upgrade installed again. And Ruger offers me a magazine??
Chance you take when you make aftermarket mods to a gun.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSC View Post
LOL!

I can do better. I bought TWO of them!

I had my gunsmith do trigger jobs without VQ, but all his work will be lost when I send them back.

(It will be their second trip back.......neither would function reliably and had to be sent back initially to be fixed by Ruger.)

So all my money for the work is lost too.

When they come back this time with bad trigger pulls I will have the option of doing it all over again.......but will I?

Considering all the complaints I've seen here and the many problems Ruger has had with the MKIV........ am I going to gamble the money for another two trigger jobs when the guns might get recalled again and I lose the money for a second time?

LOL! I'll just dump crappy MKIVs at a gun auction that's coming up after I get them back this time.

Expensive mistake, but it won't break me.......I'll learn from it and buy better quality to replace the Rugers. (I think I'll buy a couple of high-quality old Brownings or Colts.)

I was seduced by that easy take-down feature. Things like this happen. We're big boys that play the game and you can't win every time.

I suggest you do what I'm doing and just get rid of them. Cut your losses.

Look to future and better guns.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:46 PM
goldenpony

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Received my shipping box today. Getting ready to remove all VQ parts, put all OE parts in a bag, send frame to Ruger along with OE parts and send the VQ sear to Volquartsen for modification. Both of these packages will go into the mail tomorrow. Hopefully the frame and the modified VQ sear will come back about the same time.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:19 PM
7tcu

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go to you tube and watch it being installed and you can do it yourself.