Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:31 AM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
Just the facts: Purchased a Browning reflex sight. Worked very well for about 3 trips to the range. The last trip to the range, the dot went out. Now, it is 3 days later, and just put in a new battery. Still doesn't work...... at all. It was a very good product for about 3 weeks. It has a one year warranty. Trigger time was about 8 boxes of ammo.
Plan of action: Will call Sprotsmansguide and see what they have to say about returns.

My current thoughts: I really did like the Browning reflex. The dot was sharp enough for plate work, and did manage to shoot some very good groups with the Mk IV Competition. I have my opinion about this on emergency standby until I can load my brain with some information. However, it doesn't look good.
Called Sportsmansguide, sending me a free return mailing stick on slip. The way I understand it, I have the option to get another one or to credit the amount to my account. What option would you take? All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks...... AH
Old 08-08-2017, 07:25 AM
lostinthewoods

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Are those choices optimized for rifle and pistol distances or is the selection based on other reasons? I am concerned about makers who do not state the parallax setting on optics.

I maybe wrong, it appears you position the rifle optic right over the split in the take down stock. Any reason for that, I would expect a little closer mounting?
Sorry for the late reply. The two sights were purchased several years apart so there was no real consideration as to which would be better for each application. With that said, the info I received from Holosun is that the HS403GL is parallax free at 30 feet. That is better than the Primary Arms sight which is 30 yards.

With both sights manufactured by Holosun that may account for the price difference. The Holosun would be a better option between the two for a handgun.

I have the sight on the 10/22 TD mounted on the scout rail. I did that to avoid wandering zero when reassembling the rifle over and over. It is on an ARMS qd mount. It is the lowest qd mount I could find but is about an 1/8" too tall to co-wittness. That isn't a problem for me. When I want to shoot irons the sight comes off and returns to zero when re-installed. It is mounted as far rearward on the scout rail without bridging the gap.

Both sights have been flawless since owned. I have printed some surprisingly small groups with them at 50 yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by lostinthewoods; 08-08-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:17 AM
27 Beck

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Called Sportsmansguide, sending me a free return mailing stick on slip. The way I understand it, I have the option to get another one or to credit the amount to my account. What option would you take? All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks...... AH
Take the credit. Mine lasted 367 days.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:01 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthewoods View Post
Sorry for the late reply. The two sights were purchased several years apart so there was no real consideration as to which would be better for each application. With that said, the info I received from Holosun is that the HS403GL is parallax free at 30 feet. That is better than the Primary Arms sight which is 30 yards.

With both sights manufactured by Holosun that may account for the price difference. The Holosun would be a better option between the two for a handgun.

I have the sight on the 10/22 RD mounted on the scout rail. I did that to avoid wandering zero when reassembling the rifle over and over. It is on an ARMS qd mount. It is the lowest qd mount I could find but is about an 1/8" too tall to co-wittness. That isn't a problem for me. When I want to shoot irons the sight comes off and returns to zero when re-installed. It is mounted as far rearward on the scout rail without bridging the gap.

Both sights have been flawless since owned. I have printed some surprisingly small groups with them at 50 yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Good timing, I was just checking back on this discussion. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:08 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Just the facts: Purchased a Browning reflex sight. Worked very well for about 3 trips to the range. The last trip to the range, the dot went out. Now, it is 3 days later, and just put in a new battery. Still doesn't work...... at all. It was a very good product for about 3 weeks. It has a one year warranty. Trigger time was about 8 boxes of ammo.
Plan of action: Will call Sprotsmansguide and see what they have to say about returns.

My current thoughts: I really did like the Browning reflex. The dot was sharp enough for plate work, and did manage to shoot some very good groups with the Mk IV Competition. I have my opinion about this on emergency standby until I can load my brain with some information. However, it doesn't look good.
I hope I did not spread any bad advise on the sight. I found it useful to check out how this type of sight works, I mean as opposed to iron and tradition optical scope like Leupold. It has very nice features. Mine still works after 2 year, but probably no more than couple/few hundred rounds. And all MK pistol, no 223 AR type use.

you may find this interesting or useful to consider or search for reviews and ratings:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunti...ght/731245.uts

The Browning is a re-branded sightmark.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I've got an Aimpoint H2 that has been on my AK. Now that I've got a magnified optic (VX-R Patrol) on the AK, the Aimpoint will go on the new Mark IV 22/45 Lite. I just need to get the Aimpoint Weaver base, as the LaRue Picatinny mount that is currently on it is too snug for the rail on the Mark IV.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:03 PM
Big-Dummy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Silly me...I forgot the LaRue is adjustable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (446.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-09-2017, 06:53 PM
cmichael

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Dummy View Post
Silly me...I forgot the LaRue is adjustable.
It look too big for the 22/45, the Aimpoint cost more than the gun, How's that shoot off hand.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Big-Dummy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichael View Post
It look too big for the 22/45, the Aimpoint cost more than the gun, How's that shoot off hand.
Just bought the pistol today, so don't know how it shoots yet. Already had the H2, and it will look just fine when it is balanced out by the big 'ol can that is gonna go on the front. Also, don't know how I could go much smaller without going with a reflex sight, which I don't care for because of the edge distortion and them not being a true 1X optic it does not work as well with both eyes open. Hard to beat an Aimpoint. It's the only red dot I will buy, just like Leupold is the only magnified optic I will buy. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by Big-Dummy; 08-09-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:05 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I like the C-More. Especially in the bright Arizona sun. The dot stars bright with no wash out. You can order in 3 minute up to 16 minute for Steel Shooting. I use the 6 minute dot.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Big-Dummy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post

I like the C-More. Especially in the bright Arizona sun. The dot stars bright with no wash out. You can order in 3 minute up to 16 minute for Steel Shooting. I use the 6 minute dot.
Nice looking rig.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:51 PM
valor1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bought a Sig Romeo 5 for my rifle and decided to try in on my Ruger lite. It was easy to zero. UNFORTUNATELY, after the 100 round count, the red dot starts failing. It turns on and off all the time. So much for the great reviews on the Romeo 5 on the intertweebs. Looks pretty nice though.

I'll put my Vortex Venom back. No problems of any kind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170717_192855.jpg (496.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-11-2017, 06:31 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valor1 View Post
Bought a Sig Romeo 5 for my rifle and decided to try in on my Ruger lite. It was easy to zero. UNFORTUNATELY, after the 100 round count, the red dot starts failing. It turns on and off all the time. So much for the great reviews on the Romeo 5 on the intertweebs. Looks pretty nice though.

I'll put my Vortex Venom back. No problems of any kind.
Before you contact SIG, try opening the battery compartment and see if one of the battery contacts is dirty or needs to have it's tension increased. Or, for that matter try a new battery. Either may solve the problem.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:29 PM
jackjr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought the Bushnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieviper View Post
Which optics to consider depends a lot on the type of shooting you intend to do. There are a lot of good optics out there that don't cost a lot of money. I happen to like the Bushnell TRS-25 that I use on my 617. It's a lot of sight for, in many cases, under $100. My shooting is mostly indoors at paper targets with some outside, steel and other plinking type targets thrown in.

Thank you for all the ideas which I will look over before I buy the next one but...

I ended up buying the Bushnell TRS-25 for my MKIV. Money was one of the reasons. I was going to use the rail that came with my older 22/45 but bought a new rail from Ruger instead. I'm keeping the original rail for something on the 22/45. Can't test either of them, the MKIV or my LCO AR due to shoulder surgery problems and although the pistol should be safe to shoot I shoot left handed and don't care to have hot sparky .223 cases going by my nose with the O2 tube in there. Once I'm off of the oxygen I plan one going through a lot of ammo.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:45 PM
valor1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
Before you contact SIG, try opening the battery compartment and see if one of the battery contacts is dirty or needs to have it's tension increased. Or, for that matter try a new battery. Either may solve the problem.
I just did all of it and the problems persists. Just returned it and not looking at any of the Sig optics. Happy with the Vortex.