I don't need to send it in. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:24 PM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't need to send it in.

Yes my MK4 Target is on the recall list. It is a relatively low serial number. BUT I had the Volquartsen trigger kit installed and guess what. I cannot get the problem as described in the video to occur. I tried numerous times. So I suggest that everyone who had the kit put in their MK4s, check it out before sending it in. The Volquartsen kit may fix the problem.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If, and that's a fairly big if, it does turn out that the VQ sear permanently and totally fixes the problem in the guns in question.

Those lucky dawgs would not need to send it back but that also means they would not get the safety with the magical "S" on the safety.

That "S" notifies everyone that the gun has been certified safe by Ruger.

And Ruger won't sell you that part separately.

Maybe significant.......or not. I don't know.

Last edited by Rocinante; 06-10-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:50 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is right mongo. Stay cool and wait to learn more. No rush here.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Patriotpappy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I may be wrong as I have not read the specific recall notice but I believe Ruger will ordinarily decline to work on a gun that has had the internals modified. In this case, being a recall, they may do the corrective work using Ruger factory parts and returning the Volquartzen parts to you. I would check first if you have not already done so.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Ferox34

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nope.....

....RUGER WILL NOT RETURN NON-RUGER PARTS TO YOU. You must send the gun to Ruger with Ruger only parts. They will replace any aftermarket parts with Ruger parts....and I believe charge you for them...and return a bone stock pistol to you.

Sounds harsh, but consider it from Ruger's perspective legally, if they worked on a gun with non-standard parts and returned it to a customer with those parts and the gun malfunctioned and killed someone.....guess who's name is on the first line of the lawsuit. Ruger is right. If I had a Mark IV, I would just strip out the non-Ruger parts, put the Ruger parts and the rest of the gun in a zip lock bag and send it in for the recall repair. Ruger is going to tear it down anyway, you have just saved them the trouble.

Ferox34
Old 06-10-2017, 04:09 PM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How about the fact that if you operate the safety like you should --- putting it on all the way --- there is no problem to begin with.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:26 PM
laytonj1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
OK, let's do that. Ruger wants protection from re-installing parts they consider to be dubious in character. Understandable. How the hell does that give them the right to "STEAL" the customers, paid for, aftermarket parts? Seems to me like they're opening the door quite wide for a "collective" larceny lawsuit.
Well, maybe.. you could simply remove the aftermarket parts before you send it in so those thieving techs don't steal them. In fact, they even recommend it.

Jim
Old 06-10-2017, 04:46 PM
MarkB1
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
OK, let's do that. Ruger wants protection from re-installing parts they consider to be dubious in character. Understandable. How the hell does that give them the right to "STEAL" the customers, paid for, aftermarket parts? Seems to me like they're opening the door quite wide for a "collective" larceny lawsuit.
At least in Phoenix, and concerning the Ruger Mark I, II, III & 22/45 pistols, they return parts that they can NOT determine to be OEM in a little paper bag. That's a really NICE thing to do.
Ruger says on the recall page:

"I have added aftermarket accessories to my pistol; will these be returned?

You should remove all aftermarket accessories before returning the grip frame assembly to us. While we will attempt to return accessories to you, we cannot guarantee that is the case. Also, to the extent the installed aftermarket parts are being replaced pursuant to the retrofit (sear and safety), these will not be returned."

So, some aftermarket parts MAY be returned but any safety or sear parts will NOT be returned.

You have the choice of removing all aftermarket parts before you return the pistol or you can gamble that the parts might be returned (sears will not be returned). Ruger has notified you in adance of their intentions and procedures before you send it in. Ruger is not "stealing" those parts. It's your choice to put the Ruger OEM parts back in the pistol or not.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:35 PM
MarkB1
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The policy at Ruger in Prescott involved Ruger OEM parts that have been "MODIFIED" would be replaced at the owners expense and NOT sent back, If a person has purchased a Volquartsen extended safety, and a VC sear, Ruger in Prescott, had the policy to replace the aftermarket parts, charge the owner for those replacement parts, but they always returned the aftermarket parts.

You're saying that that policy has changed? Are the Ruger Mark IV grip frames going back to Prescott, or North Carolina?

Who knows? All I know is what Ruger has posted on their web site recall page.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:16 PM
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh good.......I have the option of paying a gunsmith to NOW remove the parts he put in to replace the useless Ruger parts in the first place.

Then I can pay him to put them back in when the gun comes back with useless Ruger parts re-installed.

How kind of Ruger to allow that.......since it is their incompetence that caused the (several) problems I've encountered.

Lawsuit? Yeah, I'm in.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:44 AM
jpw062

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thats the aftermarket modification game. Ruger isn't the only company to not return custom and modified parts.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:02 AM
cmichael

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw062 View Post
Thats the aftermarket modification game. Ruger isn't the only company to not return custom and modified parts.
I don't think so, I have a 29 year old Mark II SS target, 5 years ago the ejector come loose up on me, I call up Ruger and they put a new one for me free of charge include shipping, My Mark II have all the VQ part and Clark oversize bushing and the pull weight is 14 oz. When I get the gun back with receipt quote test fire with 50 round of .22 HV ammo. All the VQ part still intact.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:15 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
C,

You got lucky on that. Another example of excellent Ruger customer service. I think they did look and see the internal parts. But, if I opted to have Ruger do that work, I would have sent in just the bolt. I am sure you know this too, but; for those who do not, if you ask, Ruger will ship you a free replacements for broken parts. Well, unless extractors are on some restricted list that I am not aware of.

I am sure I mentioned this experience already. But, again, my Ruger Old army was shooting high. I heard they offered a taller front sight and called CS with the part number. I told her what I needed and why, she took my info and before I hung up I asked about cc number. No charge she says. I would be more than happy just to get the part and pay, I got it fast and free.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:57 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Oh good.......I have the option of paying a gunsmith to NOW remove the parts he put in to replace the useless Ruger parts in the first place.

Then I can pay him to put them back in when the gun comes back with useless Ruger parts re-installed.

How kind of Ruger to allow that.......since it is their incompetence that caused the (several) problems I've encountered.

Lawsuit? Yeah, I'm in.

Good luck with that lawsuit. The court and lawyer costs will far exceed any damages you might obtain. All you can claim in inconvenience, not harm.

BTW, you could save the gunsmith's costs by learning to do the installations yourself. It's not that complex or difficult. The VQ parts are all "drop-in" and do not have to be fitted or modified, no special tools are required and several videos are available to walk you through the process.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:06 AM
Bill T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will not be sending my new Mark IV in for the recall. I think this is more lawyer induced, than it is mechanical. I don't use safeties on guns to begin with.... ANY safety on ANY gun. According to the recall, the safety has to be in between, "Safe" and "Fire". Another words, improperly operated...... NOT "defective" Then, after that, the trigger has to be manipulated in order to induce the weapon to fire. Too much "planet alignment" needed here, for it to be of any kind of realistic concern.

I have a early 1980's Remington XP-100 Pistol that was recalled. I never sent it in. Again, there was no need to. Besides, I had optics mounted on the gun, along with it glass bedded in a Fajen custom stock. No way I was going to tear the gun down so they could "fix" a "problem" I have not been able to deliberately make happen in over 30+ years of shooting it. More lawyer induced nonsense.

I'm putting this "problem" into much the same category. A result of the sue happy legal system this country has had forced upon it. Even if I was going to send it in, I would wait at least a year before doing so. They are going to be deluged with these guns coming back on rubber bands. Every single one produced, sold or not, since they came out, up until last week. That's all of them. Not to mention they're going to be working around the clock trying to get corrected Mark IV's back on dealer shelves. Right now they are one of the highest demand Ruger firearms currently being produced.

Anyone wanting to abide by this recall, would be wise to wait until all of this settles down. In the meantime, like I've always said.... Show me someone who "needs" a safety. And I'll show you someone I don't want to be near when they're shooting.
Closed Thread