Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:41 PM
rhemsher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rcommended optic for Ruger Mark IV Target

Hello,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced [<$100] optic for basic target shooting for a Ruger Mark IV I recently purchased? This will be my first handgun I am considering to scope ... all other [15-20] various caliber pistols are iron sights.

Would like a very compact format, possibly adjustable[?], black to match weapon.

What power magnification would be advantageous for 10-50 yards?

Will also need rings and rail.

Thanx,

Ray H.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:38 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sells for about $80 and includes a built in Weaver/Picatinny mount so no extra rings are needed. Windage and elevation are full adjustable and it uses the common and cheap CR2032 battery which last a long time. The dot subtends 3 moa and the dot intensity is variable from barely visible to very bright.

Like most red dots it is 1X or no magnification. I've tried 2X scopes on handguns and found them no better than the red dots and not as versatile since eye relief is more limited. Red Dots have no eye relief limits.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:49 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink millett rd6 red dot

tube type ,4 dot sizes 10 brightness settings. comes with rings, sun shade and lens caps. shop around, can be found around 80.00. great build quality. I am 72 and this red d ot makes my stainless target MKIV such a fun pistol to shoot.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 AM
flphotog
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
tube type ,4 dot sizes 10 brightness settings. comes with rings, sun shade and lens caps. shop around, can be found around 80.00. great build quality. I am 72 and this red d ot makes my stainless target MKIV such a fun pistol to shoot.
I use the Millett RD900006, it works great for me. I love that it has 4 dot sizes and is click adjustable. I'd prefer that it had a choice of red or green dot but the other features make up for that.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:22 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs up YUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
I use the Millett RD900006, it works great for me. I love that it has 4 dot sizes and is click adjustable. I'd prefer that it had a choice of red or green dot but the other features make up for that.
I own both the rd 4 and rd 6 millets, love em! I got mine about 5 years ago and I have noticed prices HAVE gone up about 20.00. still a decent price. the many features on the rd 6 are outstanding.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:42 PM
Spunk_Puppy
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would spend the extra money and get an Aimpoint T2. Excellent optic, lightweight and durable, no blooming of the dot and 2 MOA dot means very precise hits on target. My buddy has one on his Mk III and it is phenomenal.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunk_Puppy View Post
I would spend the extra money and get an Aimpoint T2. Excellent optic, lightweight and durable, no blooming of the dot and 2 MOA dot means very precise hits on target. My buddy has one on his Mk III and it is phenomenal.
Remember the OP wants to stay under $100. The Aimpoint T2 is indeed a great sight but the price is WAY higher than his desired limit, like 7 times that amount and about twice the cost of the gun itself.

If he is willing to go somewhat higher in cost but not that extreme, the C-More Railway, the Vortex Venom or the Burris Fastfire 3 are all well worth considering at about $230 or so.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:33 PM
cmichael

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunk_Puppy View Post
700 plus dollar for RDS, the gun around 400, Too rich for my blood. YMMV
Old 05-21-2017, 06:37 PM
cmichael

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have the Venom, Life time warranty, best bang for the buck.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:10 PM
prairieviper
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I second the Bushnell TRS-25. I purchased mine on Ebay for around $64. It is possible to spend more on a red dot but you may not always get more for your money. I have the Bushnell on my 617 and consider it the best bang for your buck there is out there. You have only to check out customer ratings from the major vendors to see what I mean. Out of 5 stars, here are some ratings. Amazon: 4.3, 2935 reviews, MidwayUSA: 4.4, 223 reviews and Optics Planet: 4.4, 216 reviews. I have considered going to a reflex type sight like the Vortex Venom, Burris FastFire 3 or Leupold Deltapoint Pro (very expensive) that has a lower profile but so far, when it comes down to it, I'm happy enough with the Bushnell that I can't see spending the money on something I may not like as well or that may not work as well.

Below is my 617 with the TRS-25. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Last edited by prairieviper; 05-21-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Florida Guy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My VQ MKIII with Bushnell TRS25.
I have 3 more of them on other guns, so I guess you could
say I recommend them. Good value for the $$.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:22 PM
rhemsher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhemsher View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced [<$100] optic for basic target shooting for a Ruger Mark IV I recently purchased? This will be my first handgun I am considering to scope ... all other [15-20] various caliber pistols are iron sights.

Would like a very compact format, possibly adjustable[?], black to match weapon.

What power magnification would be advantageous for 10-50 yards?

Will also need rings and rail.

Thanx,

Ray H.
Thank you to everyone who have provided input!

I was actually interested in an optical SCOPE but didn't limit the responses to that ... which I'm glad having read and researched your thoughts.

I would still like to hear information on SCOPES as well ... keep those cards and letters coming in!

Ray H.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:31 PM
cmichael

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhemsher View Post
Thank you to everyone who have provided input!

I was actually interested in an optical SCOPE but didn't limit the responses to that ... which I'm glad having read and researched your thoughts.

I would still like to hear information on SCOPES as well ... keep those cards and letters coming in!

Ray H.
Here we go. Not a Mark IV, but his older brother

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk