I can't believe you paid that much for a .22! - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
From Dennis to Dennis ( ) I understand your position, and your methodology, but HOW that question is asked me as to the WHY, I do something, like buy a new pistol, rifle or shotgun, I don't feel any answer will satisfy. Especially when it's asked in the manner of "How can you spend that sort of money on THAT particular firearm". I think it's just plain rude and don't give them anything but a .

Now, when I'm asked as to why I thought a pistol, rifle or shotgun was worthy enough for me to spend $$$ on, that approach means, at least to me, that the inquisitor is asking for information to help make a decision upon, rather than scoff at what I've done.
It wasn't a question......it was a statement (and a highly inappropriate statement).

"I can't believe you paid that much for a .22!"

That's just another way to say, "I'm smarter than you."

Old 05-08-2017, 10:05 AM
cobalt327

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
He's obviously ignorant on the subject, hopefully it was just than and not driven by malice. If he wasn't receptive to hearing the 'whys and wherefores', he was spoiling for a fight. Whether or not you oblige him is a personal decision.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:31 PM
bagdadjoe
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like when my boss said.."I can't believe you paid $1100 for a muzzleloader"...
It was a deal!!

Old 05-08-2017, 06:51 PM
Pugdad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Expensive .22's

I have two S&W Model 41's that are worth more than a grand each...Have collected all 4 barrels made for this fine pistol and a custom made stainless competition barrel which cost about $400...I would not take 4K for the group!

Also recently bought a High Standard Olympic (with the rings engraved) made for the 1980 Moscow olympics (1000 mfgd) with the weights, in the original box and all papers ... This was a $1300 investment and I was glad to get it!!!
Old 05-08-2017, 08:17 PM
U_P_Investigator
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a $1,500 Latama switchblade with honey horn scales. Some people get it and some don't. They will say, "My Boker cost just $45.00!"

"Good for you."
Old 05-08-2017, 09:22 PM
buckmarkMIKE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
Two comments - "why do you have so many 22s" and "why would you spend so much on a 22?"

I smile and say that while they are blasting tin cans at 25 yards with their ARs, I enjoy shooting golf balls at 100 yards.

A fine firearm is a pleasure no matter what the caliber.
Loooool Timberbeast I hear ya...couple weeks ago, my dad and I came across a a sweet find... an UNFIRED 1988 Smith & Wesson Model 41...complete with original box, original cleaning kit, paperwork and 2 mags. We paid $1425 CDN (we live in Canada). That was a helluva find !!!

So at work there's 2 other guys that also shoot....I was telling the first guy about it, and then of course comes "what did ya pay for it?"...you should of seen the look on his face...you'd think someone told him he was pregnant !!

That same day I ran into the other guy....told him about it...he also asks the big question....I swear after I told him, he lunged back as if he just got stung by a yellow jacket hornet......

I mean....what gives with some people eh ?!?!? I guess they think "well crap, I could by a 22 JUST like that fancy schmancy model ....what did you call it again !?!?...anyway, I can buy me a pistol just as good as yours at Walmart for $97.99 with 500 rounds of ammo too"!!! OMG REEEEAAALLLLY ?!?!?

Ok...ROFL over now
Old 05-08-2017, 09:51 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And bunch of others.

My Rimfire Collection. Well mostly

Moto: Buy Less, and then you can Buy the Best.

Kidd Supergrade.
Volquartsen Fusion & V-2000.
Custom Anschutz.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 05-08-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:56 AM
buckmarkMIKE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
And bunch of others.

My Rimfire Collection. Well mostly

Moto: Buy Less, and then you can Buy the Best.

Kidd Supergrade.
Volquartsen Fusion & V-2000.
Custom Anschutz.

Smooth
Hey smoothtrigger, words ta live by man.....words to live by.

My father and I put a small collection of pistols together (part of a father n son bonding) that totals 4
- Sig P226 elite dark 9
- Browning Buckmark URX
- Smith and Wesson model 41
- Ruger MK iv Hunter

And that completes our collection. So when that time comes....when my father Is gone.....each time I go to the range, I'll remember the good times we shared
Can't put a price on quality right my friend ?

Btw.....L O V E that Anschutz !!!! Nice piece o kit

Last edited by buckmarkMIKE; 05-09-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:18 AM
robs9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmarkMIKE View Post
Hey smoothtrigger, words ta live by man.....words to live by.

My father and I put a small collection of pistols together (part of a father n son bonding) that totals 4
- Sig P226 elite dark 9
- Browning Buckmark URX
- Smith and Wesson model 41
- Ruger MK iv Hunter

And that completes our collection. So when that time comes....when my father Is gone.....each time I go to the range, I'll remember the good times we shared
Can't put a price on quality right my friend ?

Btw.....L O V E that Anschutz !!!! Nice piece o kit
Ok, so you touched some HEART Strings. When you mentioned your collection. I also grew up shooting with my dad. I inherited his firearms. Two of them a Model 41 and Rand 1911
When I open my safe and look at those two, l am transported to the range in the past with my dad. When I fondle them, (yes I said that) I can physically feel myself at the range with him. Memories that well stay to the front of my brain. I also have been lucky enough to have my son and my dad shooting together. I miss my dad every day.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
MKII vs MKIV

To be clear I am very happy with my KMK678GC MKII "Slabside".

Having said that why is the MKIV $100 more than a MKIII? How much would the MKIII be THIS YEAR if they were still making it? Have you noticed few good things go DOWN in price?

I do believe we will see the "street" price of the MKIV come down $50 or so because they are so new but I would think the MKIII would have gone up if the MKIII was still in production.

Add in that the MKIV has a machined frame rather than the previous stamped sheet metal frames (that has to cost more to produce) and then you you have the $100 difference.

I was a little surprised when I saw the retail price in the gun rags when I read their stupid "tests" but is is a very nice pistol.

Is the S&W 41 still in production? How much do THEY cost these days?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 05-09-2017, 05:26 PM
DrBill1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Perceptive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I see more the glass is 3/4 full on rim fire central. There is a lot of enthusiasm and talent on RFC. It depends on the forum to a degree. Check out the Anschutz forum - those guys are very serious. You have to remember the younger members are generally on a tighter budget.

Among the old codgers I associate with there is a willingness to pay up for better. I did stand out when I was young with a new motorcycle and weatherby XXII, yet driving a beater old rambler and wearing old jeans. Life was different back then. I could work an hour anyplace and get the equal of an ounce of silver for my trouble. Or twice that at sears. That is the equall of $16 to $32 bucks an hour today. Our standard has dropped, I am hoping to see a little turn around in the next 4 years. Doubtful.

I ran into this on other websites and its much worse. I mention trigger pull, and thumb rest complaints and its like I am from a totally different culture. The concern is how much low quality ammo can be fired and how fast. Accuracy is not a consideration. Look at you tube. Try and find a serious gun test. Just try. Its all plinking offhand or on a make shift bench. No controls at all.

Even here, why do some own 8 or 10 CZ rifles or as many Ruger 22 pistols and not own a single Anschutz or HiStandard or Model 41?
I agree! I just bought my second CZ, and it's a far cry less than any of my Anschutz rifles. From workmanship, to design, to fit and function Quality is so evident when one does a side by side comparison. Many people just can't imagine the pleasure it gives to use a rifle of incomparable excellence. You just can't teach good taste!
Old 05-09-2017, 09:13 PM
buckmarkMIKE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBill1 View Post
I agree! I just bought my second CZ, and it's a far cry less than any of my Anschutz rifles. From workmanship, to design, to fit and function Quality is so evident when one does a side by side comparison. Many people just can't imagine the pleasure it gives to use a rifle of incomparable excellence. You just can't teach good taste!
Yep...so true DrBill....so true. But ya HAVE to admit though, it does kinda give you a chuckle when they leap back, cringe, and say "WHUUUT ?!?!? You paid 2 GRAND FOR A "LITTLE" 22 !?!?!?.......yep.....can't teach good taste is right
Old 05-09-2017, 09:29 PM
buckmarkMIKE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robs9 View Post
Ok, so you touched some HEART Strings. When you mentioned your collection. I also grew up shooting with my dad. I inherited his firearms. Two of them a Model 41 and Rand 1911
When I open my safe and look at those two, l am transported to the range in the past with my dad. When I fondle them, (yes I said that) I can physically feel myself at the range with him. Memories that well stay to the front of my brain. I also have been lucky enough to have my son and my dad shooting together. I miss my dad every day.

Thanks Rob, and it's true though, everytime you pick one of them up....it takes you back...you smell the gun powder....maybe you can almost hear that very laugh he always did that one afternoon when you bragged about kicking his butt on the range that one sunny afternoon years ago...and he ended up kicking yours. And while you're both packing up to head back home, he slaps you on the back, playfully grabs you by the scruff of the neck and tells you how much fun he had that day...my father and I have had a few of those already.

My dad told me last month when we finally got our model 41, that he wanted to be the one to take the first shot...and he did, and I took a video of him doing it...gonna cherish that day forever....how could I deny him the pleasure of that right? After all, I'll be the one to take the last shot....what a great way to end a memory full circle huh Rob ?

I also plan on doing the same thing when I get that Ruger MK IV Hunter we bought. The paperwork should be in any day....and we'll do it all over again.

To the "OP": I think something like this goes to lend credence to the main topic of justifying why we pay so much for our handguns right fellas ? Because ya just CAN'T put a price on memories like those. I'm sure "RobS" can attest to that.

Last edited by buckmarkMIKE; 05-09-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 PM
robs9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I can.tears in eyes. I do truly miss him. When my son and I started going to the range together after my dad had past, he started to turn to me with a pistol in his hands, all of a sudden I was looking down at myself. I was looking through his eyes. Because I had started to do the same thing to my father many years ago. My son said "dad what's the matter?" I said your grandfather is here. I then explained to him what to do with a firearm in your hands and you had to ask a question to the person you where with. As my dad had in the same scenario years past.